My replacement - asking for suggestions based on the criteria below;

yehaman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks in advance?

What is Passat sized (interior cabin size), AWD, handles on rails, comes with excellent brakes, and is reliable?

Audi A6
Acura RLX Sport Hybrid

Any others besides the Hyundai Genesis, MB 350, BMW 5 Series, Jag XF that I should be considering?

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
MINI Clubman 17, All4 would be my choice. Handles very well. I think the newer BMW engines are going to be reliable, hope so as I have two.

nattyboh2027

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Subaru Legacy but I'm guessing its a tad smaller than a Passat. Can't go wrong with bang for the buck with Subaru's coming standard with AWD and pretty good reliability.

yehaman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Forgot to add one important thing, since were switching to a gasser now I would like to be at 300+ hp.
I need room for the two carseats, one is still rear facing.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
We were looking at the A6 but my wife wanted an SUV. The A6 has plenty of power and a tune would make it even better. Are you looking at new or used cars? If you want used look at the Audi A6 TDI or 3.0T and the Audi A8L TDI. You may end up in a fix it or buyback situation with the Audi TDI as well, but the prices are low right now if you search. My wife's replacement is a Q5 TDI and it will be delivered Friday.

yehaman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
We were looking at the A6 but my wife wanted an SUV. The A6 has plenty of power and a tune would make it even better. Are you looking at new or used cars? If you want used look at the Audi A6 TDI or 3.0T and the Audi A8L TDI. You may end up in a fix it or buyback situation with the Audi TDI as well, but the prices are low right now if you search. My wife's replacement is a Q5 TDI and it will be delivered Friday.

Looking @ new or low mileage CPO 3.0 A6's, steering clear of the TDI's - have too much on the plate right now to have to start looking again. Good luck with your Q5, hope all works out for you and the wife!

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
The Dodge Charger is just what you are looking for. AWD is available, plenty of power, and room for the kiddos. Currently looks like only v6 gets awd, a lightly used model should find that combo with the v8. Interesting fact is the AWD is fully switchable between RWD and AWD.

I'm much more of a subaru type of person but this Dodge might be your best bet.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Not sure that the criteria in the OP don't exclude just about everything. Most of the alternatives mentioned specifically are so much pricier new that they'd only be a used alternative....but as far as interior room, no sedans come to mind. If I had to go out and buy a car TODAY that came as close as possible to the stated goals, it would be a new Outback.....

finny_amour

TDI
2012 JSW TDI
I'm looking for a replacement that meets many of your same requirements. I'm leaning toward a 2015-2016 Subaru Legacy. It seems to check most of the boxes, with the exception of "sporty handling" that I was hoping for. I guess I can't have it all.

I was considering a Mazda 6 (has the sporty handling) but it does not have AWD, larger interior. I'm also unsure of the reliability.

If you haven't taken a look at the Legacy, I would check it out! :D

Snowmobileaddict

TDI
2011 Jetta Sedan TDI
I bought my replacement back on August 10th and parked my 2011 sedan dsg.

I'm only a few thousand miles into my ownership, but a VR6 4Motion CC is what I bought and Would reccomend you drive one to see if you like it. VR6 engine is supposedly much more robust than the 2.0T (less carbon buildup, no timing tensioner issues or intake issues etc).

If you are patient you can find one in good shape with low miles and way down the depreciation curve.

I bought a 2010 with 41,000 miles, new conti tires, new battery, spotless carfax. and fresh oil change for $16,500. The car is near mint. I enjoy the handling, it's got an intoxicating engine note, it's passat sized, AWD, and has the same big brakes as the R32.

With my 111k-mi TDi buyback coming in at $16,246 it was a home run. Actually better, because I was due for 4 new tires and a timing belt service this winter.

ChimneyJim

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 SportWagen SEL
Don't know much about them but you may want to look at the Ford Fusion Sport. AWD and 325HP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
Why a gasser? There are 2 well equipped '15 MB E250 4matics with 14 miles on them at the MB dealer in Cherry Hill, NJ. FULL factory warranty. Not 300 hp but tons of torque.

ivebeeneverywhere

TDI
2011 JSW 6MT (buyback someday)
Maybe a Volvo S60 Inscription AWD? Volvo is offering 5 years of warranty and maintenance including wear and tear coverage for VW TDI owners. More legroom than the standard S60. Not as much sport though. Cadillac CTS AWD, the 3.6 is 335HP, it drives pretty nice and reviews are solid. Cadillac CPO program is strong, I just bought an 2015 CPO ATS, so far so good.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
What is Passat sized (interior cabin size), AWD, handles on rails, comes with excellent brakes, and is reliable?

I test drove a CPO GS 350 and a CPO 535i. Both were very nice. While the BMW handled better, it's an easy bet the Lexus will be more reliable.

Last edited:

2013passattdisel

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Take a look at the new Mercedes GLC Coupe. Similar to BMW X4. The mbusa.com site says they will be released in early 2017, but dealer is telling me that they'll have first shipment by end of month.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
+1 on the Volvos.
We drove 3 in the last 2 days, all with the T5 engine (250 hp, 258 lb-ft) which is sweet.
The S60 AWD is a nifty sedan; the XC70 Cross Country felt competent but dated.
The V60 Cross Country wagon stole our hearts, threatening our wallets. The good news is there appears to be a few CPO cars around with the potential for savings.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
<snip>

I bought a 2010 with 41,000 miles, new conti tires, new battery, spotless carfax. and fresh oil change for $16,500. The car is near mint. I enjoy the handling, it's got an intoxicating engine note, it's passat sized, AWD, and has the same big brakes as the R32.

<snip>
I assume when you say "passat sized," you are talking about the CC mentioned earlier. Your 2010 must be an entirely different CC than the one we compared when we bought our '13 Passat. Size - if we're talking about front seat room, rear seat room, trunk and not just wheelbase or overall size- was a big deal with us, and the CC wasn't even close to the Passat.....

turboboost1

Veteran Member
TDI
None, Did the buyback
The Dodge Charger is just what you are looking for. AWD is available, plenty of power, and room for the kiddos. Currently looks like only v6 gets awd, a lightly used model should find that combo with the v8. Interesting fact is the AWD is fully switchable between RWD and AWD.

I'm much more of a subaru type of person but this Dodge might be your best bet.
I agree with mopower.. Take a look at the Charger with the Pentastar V6.. 300 HP, AWD. But only look at 2015 and later with the 8 speed ZF transmission. I replaced my Jetta with the 5.7 Hemi model year 2016. It's just an awesome machine.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
+1 on the Volvos.
We drove 3 in the last 2 days, all with the T5 engine (250 hp, 258 lb-ft) which is sweet.
The S60 AWD is a nifty sedan; the XC70 Cross Country felt competent but dated.
The V60 Cross Country wagon stole our hearts, threatening our wallets. The good news is there appears to be a few CPO cars around with the potential for savings.
Volvo is one of the few "live" candidates to replace our Passat, but I suspect that the V60 would not be acceptable from the standpoint of size. So....it's a matter of moving to the 90-series, which raises the specter of having to fork over a big chunk of money with our buyback, and not being able to get a CPO car by 2018......certainly not the v90, assuming it materializes on schedule next year.

yehaman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I'm actually going to sneak out of the office today for a bit and go drive a low mileage 2015.5 Volvo s80 T6 and then maybe check out that Ford fusion sport.

Kind of leaning towards something more upscale this time. Have owned Audi's in the past, before this Passat purchase and loved all of them until they got to about 120k.

When I mention, Passat Size I am referring to cabin size/rear seat room/truck space. When I'm toting the family around (both kids in car seats,stroller(s) in the truck) I want to have room for other stuff too.

V90 is too much coin for what I feel it's worth, rather spend that money on something else. Love the exterior of the E- Class MB, but both the wife and I felt kind of weird the way the windshield/dash was sort of right smack in front of you. Loved the way the Bmw 5 series drives - but rear seats and truck were tiny and there is no storage in that car...not sure where it all went...great handling w/ 535x M-sport......

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm actually going to sneak out of the office today for a bit and go drive a low mileage 2015.5 Volvo s80 T6 and then maybe check out that Ford fusion sport.
<snip>
Be sure to report on that s80 T6 when you drive it; we appear to be in a similar place as to what we want to replace our Passats. We drove an older s80 several years ago, just a regular model with the inline 6, and were not impressed. That one was strictly a Swedish Chevrolet.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I like my Outback 3.6R so far. It does not handle quite as well as the Passat. Part throttle acceleration is on par due to the CVT's aggressive response. WOT is clearly better with a lot more hp >3000rpm. Passenger space is close to the Passat, but the cargo area is clearly greater.

Have you considered the Audi SQ5? Ford Edge Sport? Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel?

yehaman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Be sure to report on that s80 T6 when you drive it; we appear to be in a similar place as to what we want to replace our Passats. We drove an older s80 several years ago, just a regular model with the inline 6, and were not impressed. That one was strictly a Swedish Chevrolet.
Just returned back from the Volvo dealer. Went their to see/drive one of their 2015.5 T6's. Called one of my buddy's who's done a lot of business with this dealer on the way to my office to ask him who he deals with, figured if I'm heading over might as well speak to someone whom I have somewhat a connection too. Upon my arrival, my buddys sales connection immediately takes me out back and shows me a 2011 S80 T6 w/Inscription package....w/only 30k on it that was just turned in, hasn't been cleaned or put in inventory yet. I suggested that I was looking for something newer. He (a 40 yr veteran at this dealer) told me whether I buy this one or a new one there all the same thing, and drive/handle the same. This one was stuffed with all the goodies in the right color (navy blue/beige interior). The only difference was warranty, and informed that most of the s80's have been pretty reliable.

Anyway, despite really wanting to drive a 2015.5 I took this 2011 out for a ride, without him....solid car and very quiet car in the city...get on the highway and put the pedal down and the car moves. I could see being able to get in some trouble with this. The seats were very, very comfortable and the air conditioned/ventilated seats might have just been my favorite feature.

Didn't have firm handling, but definitely a cushy comfortable cushy ride if that is what someone is looking for.

Debra Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
Memories of a fantastic 2015 Jetta
I test drove a CPO GS 350 and a CPO 535i. Both were very nice. While the BMW handled better, it's an easy bet the Lexus will be more reliable.
One indication I look at is the secondary market after the cars are a few years old. Resale on almost any European luxury car seems to be brutal once you go past 4 or five years.

Lexus, Infinity and Acura seem to do much better, and even Cadillac and Lincoln seem to have more viable resale after 5-6 years.

I have known several sued car dealers that didn't want to touch European high end vehicles but loved getting Infinity/Lexus/Acura on the lot, because they knew they could charge a premium.

Debra Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
Memories of a fantastic 2015 Jetta
I agree with mopower.. Take a look at the Charger with the Pentastar V6.. 300 HP, AWD. But only look at 2015 and later with the 8 speed ZF transmission. I replaced my Jetta with the 5.7 Hemi model year 2016. It's just an awesome machine.
That transmission makes the vehicle.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Forgot to add one important thing, since were switching to a gasser now I would like to be at 300+ hp.
I need room for the two carseats, one is still rear facing.
Get an M5 that should fill all your needs and then some.

yehaman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Get an M5 that should fill all your needs and then some.
If I didn't live in Boston....ABSOLUTELY!!!

Oh, I lived in the south, I would totally get a rear wheeled drive car.

Ok, so I just totally eliminated the Volvo based on handling...it was a very nice car and a liked the price point but I could just imagine how floaty of a boat it would be on on/off ramps.......

CHDriver

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
BMW 328d(iesel) xDrive Sport Wagon

That would be a car to consider. I got a good deal on a 2016 BMW Hqs staff car. Handles very well (fun to drive), good torque, plush, max driver assist packages and extended warranty/services to 6yrs/70,000mi.

328d wagons are getting hard to find, especially with the driver assistance + package.