My newest OEM+ Mod...CheckTempII

Cosmobug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta, Black on Black Leather
Ordered a CheckTempII from VividWonders and installed it over the weekend. Turned out quite nice, but it was a lot of work. I routed the outside temp sensor to the driver's mirrir housing (not easy) and wired the power to an ignition powered blank in the fuse block using an add-a-circuit.
I chose to place it where the Hazard switch goes because all 4 corners are rounded and, to me at least, just does not look good in any of the other positions. I wanted a totally integrated look.
So, what the hell did I do with the hazard switch, you say?!?
I relocated it to the glove box...I figured I've used it maybe once or twice in the two years I've owned the car so I would not miss it much and it is still in easy reach. I made a wiring harness from standard "blue" spade connectors (insulated for the switch end) and ran it from the stock harness to the switch in the glove box. This took some time because I ran it into the glove box from behind. The switch is just wedged into the small compartment at the top left using the mount that comes with the CheckTempII (with the rear of the mount cut out due to the depth of the switch). The only downside is that the blinker "clicker" is a bit muted, but still decently audible.
Here are a couple of pics!

Sorry the "dark" pic did not come out real well. It definitely looks better in person. And before you ask, NO, I did not hook up the climate control wires...just taped them off. I really did not want to cut or tap into any stock wires...still under warranty, ya know...

TDI_NC

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS 5 speed
Nice install. It would be nice to have a voltmeter function in the same module.

Cosmobug

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI_NC said:
Nice install. It would be nice to have a voltmeter function in the same module.
My scangauge has got that...but, yes, would be nice here too.

TDI_NC

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS 5 speed
Or scangauge can add inside temp and then you don't need the other gizmo.

I wonder if pseudo climate control works well with temp gauge II? Anybody tried it?

PapaBare

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2005, Shadow Blue
I placed the hazard switch under the radio and above the "ashtray" where that little panel is/was. There was a rectangular switch hole already there that I trimmed out with a rotory tool (Dremel). It is easy to reach from the drivers seat and out of sight unless you look for it from the center rear set. ;)

The sound is not muted and easy to show if someone (police) says "Where's your hazard lights switch"

Cosmobug

Veteran Member
TDI
Holy shnikes! I did not know that was there!!! Maybe if I get some time I will relocate it again...it would be cleaner. Thanks for the tip!!!

BTW, would a cop really be interested in such a thing? I could never figure out why the hazard switch was placed in such a prominent location...is that some kind of requirement?

-Eric

PapaBare said:
I placed the hazard switch under the radio and above the "ashtray" where that little panel is/was. There was a rectangular switch hole already there that I trimmed out with a rotory tool (Dremel). It is easy to reach from the drivers seat and out of sight unless you look for it from the center rear set. ;)

The sound is not muted and easy to show if someone (police) says "Where's your hazard lights switch"

PapaBare

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2005, Shadow Blue
Cosmobug said:
Holy shnikes! I did not know that was there!!! Maybe if I get some time I will relocate it again...it would be cleaner. Thanks for the tip!!!

BTW, would a cop really be interested in such a thing? I could never figure out why the hazard switch was placed in such a prominent location...is that some kind of requirement?

-Eric
If you ever have to have a saftey inspection done, you will find out that the Hazard switch must be directly accessable. (Here at least)

It is also easier than running the wires behind the glove box..

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Cosmobug said:
Ordered a CheckTempII from VividWonders and installed it over the weekend.
Nice looking gauge.

Cosmobug said:
So, what the hell did I do with the hazard switch, you say?!?
I relocated it to the glove box...I figured I've used it maybe once or twice in the two years....
You live in Colorado and never used your hazard switch?:eek: I guess you don't live in a populated area. When I lived in Snowmass the hazard switch was hit almost twice a day during winter. I think people in general do not use their hazard lights correctly. If you come up on bumper to bumper traffic all of a sudden, let's say near the Flat Irons in Boulder on 36 and you're the last to catch up to the pack before the rest catch your tail.... hazards on. Snow, sleet or slippery conditions ...even in some cases being behind a slow poke ...it's insurance to not be rear ended.

In New England I use the hazards very often. Traffic out here is terrible compared to Denver.

off the soap box.

LOL:D

Brian

Cosmobug

Veteran Member
TDI
PapaBare said:
If you ever have to have a saftey inspection done, you will find out that the Hazard switch must be directly accessable. (Here at least)

It is also easier than running the wires behind the glove box..
Good to know about the inspections if I move at some point, but there are no safety inspections here, just emissions testing...you can drive a ****box with three wheels about to fall off, no brakes, enough rust that the car is on the verge of disintegration, and whatever else, but if you pass emissions, you are good to go. Gotta love the government's priorities. :rolleyes:

It certainly would have been easier to run the wires there...wish I had known that BEFORE I ran them!

And yes, I have used the hazard a couple times in just the manner you described (snowy traffic), but here in Colorado Springs the weather is rarely that bad...very mild here. As it stands now, just a quick flip of the glove box door and I have easy access. I will likely move the switch sometime soon, but the schedule is booked at the moment! ;)