My new to me 16 TDI Touareg

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon Tdi, 2010 Golf TDI
Hey all,
Picked up a 16 TDI last week with only 27000 on it. I have had 03 ALH TDI and a CR before this truck and so far love it. Been trying to learn and read as much as i can about it. One thing that i have been reading is doing the oil changes at 5K intervals opposed to the 10K. I wanted to know peoples opinion on that recommendation. Also there is not anything official that i can find on trans service/transfer case or real diff. I know I'm not really going to need it soon with low miles but like to be prepared haha.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I do mine at 10k.... some say that doing it more frequently can save your timing drive.....
The trans fluid is considered "lifetime" by VW.... most who tow or want to get lots of use out of them will typically flush them between 75-100k.... I plan on doing mine around 100k. TC and diffs would be at the same time, unless once again, you tow a lot, in which case you may want to do it every 50k.

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for the info. Im looking to replacement brakes currently. Im surprised with such nice 4 pistons calipers that brakes seems poor. IDPARTS has a nice kit that seems affordable also. replacement seems easier then some cars i have worked on in the past so that's a plus.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your brakes shouldn't seem poor at all.... mine will attempt to throw me through the windshield, even when towing..... if I do panic stops.... do a complete flush and make sure you use quality parts, not just inexpensive ones. I'm actually quite shocked that you need brakes so soon.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Good find! Do you mind sharing what you paid?

With regard to the fluids...I agree with shortening the OCI. It couldn't hurt. Even still, mine rattled occasionally on startup even with 35k miles on it. I'm at 62k now and it doesn't seem to have gotten worse. Just changed the transfer case and rear dif fluid, they both looked dirty. Especially the transfer case. Planning to do the trans fluid today.

Its a very nice running car, especially for long interstate hauls.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The ATF is in the schedule to be changed at 50k miles. Most all the Aisins are at that interval, they do not play the lifetime BS anymore.

Keep in mind, draining and filling (fairly easy) won't get all of the fluid changed but is typically sufficient enough for normal PM.

Idemitsu TLS ATF is what we use here. It is an Aisin box (Toyota), so using the same ATF Toyota uses is fine. Your Volkswagen won't know the difference.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Keep in mind, draining and filling (fairly easy) won't get all of the fluid changed but is typically sufficient enough for normal PM.
That's why one should pull the lines off the trans cooler and flush out all 11L worth...

oilhammer

TDI
We hook it to a machine. :)

Although lots of the newer stuff has no external ATF cooler lines. The cooler is on the transmission itself, with coolant hoses going to it. We have some adapters for those, but they can be a messy pain to use.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I haven't crawled under a newer one, but on mine, you can def do it at the cooler thermostat block (#5 area) when you don't have "the machine".

This way, you can get almost everything out, with the exception of what's in the cooler since you don't have said machine to preheat the ATF in order to open the tstat.

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
I took it back to the dealer I bought it from because i did feel a vibration while braking and I had mentioned before I bought it about the brake fluid and the sales guy said it would have to be done to be certified. I come to find out they only changed the oil and wiper blades. When i came back yesterday i said this should have been done so they did it and the front rotors. Rebalanced all the wheels also since i also felt a vibration around 70ish. When i went to pick up the car the tech who was working on it left a huge greasy boot mark on the foot rest and along the door sill lol I was like what the heck! They cleaned it after i said something. I hate to be ball buster but i have yet to find a dealer that does it right the first time. They did not charge me for anything so im thankful for that and the issues are fixed.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Once again, it seems very odd that your front rotors needed replacing "already".... I suspect the previous owner towed a lot with it based on that alone.
You only mentioned that they changed the front rotors, but I hope you meant that they changed both pads & rotors.

oilhammer

TDI
I have customers that have required pad and rotor replacement like clockwork every 20k miles on T'regs. Since new. These things are like the old 4.5L Land Cruisers/LX450s when it comes to brakes. They can eat through them fairly quickly. Obviously very driver dependent, but if you are someone who drives a lot in the city, and you like to hammer the brake pedal at every stop, you'll be going through brakes. And tires.

I have multiple, repeatable, consistent customer history where T'regs are a $2000 every 20k miles routine. Again, since new. Some people are not bothered by it, some are (and don't keep them very long). The early ones were worse.

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
i said the same thing about the pads but they wouldn't replace them! so i have the same pads new rotors. That did not make me very happy and seems foolish to replace the most expensive part and leave the least. it does seem to stop fine now so I'm not complaining to much but just makes no sense. the rears look like they will need love soon also so maybe i ll just swap the pads my self when they come do

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
62k on mine, original pads and rotors. Zero vibration. Looked at the pads last week and while I'm unsure how thick the originals were I'm confident in saying I could pry go another 60k. But then again I don't drive like 'most people.'

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
manual said:
Brake pad, thickness mm 10.5
Brake pad, wear limit without back plate mm 2
Brake rotor diameter in mm 330
Brake rotor, thickness mm 32
Brake rotor, wear limit mm 30

Last edited:

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
they look like they have a lot of life in them so maybe that's why. I'm just one of those people that liketo replace things when your in there but dealers are not lol

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
I had a question about how the steering should feel. I have noticed the steering feels heavier then I'm used to. I'm not sure if that's how Touaregs are or if something is off. I feel like to have to bring the steering back to center after coming out of a turn more then i have on my other VWs
Thank you
Jamie

_ian

TDI
'14 Touareg LUX, '14 JSW
Thank you for the info. Im looking to replacement brakes currently. Im surprised with such nice 4 pistons calipers that brakes seems poor. IDPARTS has a nice kit that seems affordable also. replacement seems easier then some cars i have worked on in the past so that's a plus.
Rear brakes require vcds to deal with the electronic parking brake. I think ross-tech has a video on YouTube

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Ugh I got a flashing glow plug light tonight. It was late so I could not plug in my vcds. I did notice a loss of power when it happened. Thoughts?

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah I’m happy it will be covered and I have only owned it almost 3 months. Just wonder what is the issue

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's a system malfunction. VCDS will tell you more specifically. Could be anything from an EGT sensor to a pressure sensor to a glow plug, etc.