My "new" storm grey b4v

crsracing

TDI
2001 audi s4
Picked this up through a friend of a friend yesterday, wasn't specifically looking for one but you can't pass up a car like this. 1996 passat tdi wagon 5 speed 113,xxx miles 1 owner. was told it needs struts and brakes plus obviously a windshield. I briefly drove it up my street today and it seems pretty solid, fired up with some minor work after sitting for a couple years. First order of business is filter and fluids change. 2nd is installing the complete 97 vr6 leather interior including console and door cards that came with it. 3rd will be addressing the suspension and where I'm not entirely sure what direction I want to go. Eyeing some st coilovers since it needs struts anyways. Also been reading about 5 lug swaps and there bigger brakes and better suspension geometry. But on the other hand tempted to keep it stock, I already have my 2001 "s4" tdi for the fun stuff. Either way this will probably be a slow long term project since it drives and I have other projects with a higher priority. Either way I feel lucky to have it and have been enjoying learning about it.

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Looks good, other than the windshield! Last time I checked, the windshield was Nla, so start looking into part outs.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Nice find, I would think you can get a windshield via the aftermarket, but as Todd mentioned factory glass is NLA for it.

I know you intend to do the fluids etc but I would shy away from the trans unless you plan to replace factory fluid with another GL4 rated gear oil. Going with a GL5 is bad news for brass components.

It looks like a winner!!

Steve

crsracing

TDI
2001 audi s4
Well, I got all the door handles working all but one where in good shape and just needed adjusted. Passenger front was a little bent so I straightened it out but not sure it will hold. The issues was the actual door latch was gummed up and needed lubricated.
Next thing to figure out is the drivers window doesn't work. The dash switches won't roll either front windows down, the drivers door switch will only roll the passenger window down. But the passenger works fine off its own switch and both rears work fine. Any ideas would be much appreciated I don't have a manual yet and not super familiar with these yet.
As for oil I ran into the same thing with my jeep, the gl4 and brass. I ended up going with redline mt90 as it specifically states its gl4 and safe with brass. Engine oil and oil fuel air filter are first.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I’ll bet money that it’s the wiring it’s broken inside the door fellows where the door hinges are. I don’t know how many of those are prepared over the years. You can remove the Bellows completely and it’ll make repairing them a lot easier.

crsracing

TDI
2001 audi s4
You where right! One of the bigger wires was completely broken in half. Thanks for the tip never would have thought to check that, of all the cars I've had/worked on thats never been a thing.

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI, 2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Picked this up through a friend of a friend yesterday, wasn't specifically looking for one but you can't pass up a car like this. 1996 passat tdi wagon 5 speed 113,xxx miles 1 owner. was told it needs struts and brakes plus obviously a windshield. I briefly drove it up my street today and it seems pretty solid, fired right after sitting for a couple years. First order of business is filter and fluids change. 2nd is installing the complete 97 vr6 leather interior including console and door cards that came with it. 3rd will be addressing the suspension and where I'm not entirely sure what direction I want to go. Eyeing some st coilovers since it needs struts anyways. Also been reading about 5 lug swaps and there bigger brakes and better suspension geometry. But on the other hand tempted to keep it stock, I already have my 2001 "s4" tdi for the fun stuff. Either way this will probably be a slow long term project since it drives and I have other projects with a higher priority. Either way I feel lucky to have it and have been enjoying learning about it.
Great looking wagon. Keep us posted on all the improvements you do to that car. Also S4 TDI, that sounds great.

crsracing

TDI
2001 audi s4
Oh trust me, it’s a thing on these. I prefer to solder due to a smaller connection vs a crimp connector. I can’t tell you how many I’ve had to do over the years.
I absolutely hate crimp conectors with a passion, everything I do is soldered with adhesive lined marine heat shrink. Now I'm investigating inconsistent reaction from the door locks going to check for sticky contacts. Also I think I have a striped tooth or two on the drivers window right as it reaches the top.

Great looking wagon. Keep us posted on all the improvements you do to that car. Also S4 TDI, that sounds great.
Currently putting on the leather door panels as soon as I make sure I am all done inside a door. Don't want to have to take them off again as the door panels for these cars seem extra fragile. The "s4" tdi is amazing its a 2001 everything is s4 except the motor that is a malone tuned 2.0 bhw with a garret gtb2260vk, 6speed manual of course lol. Even with awd and not driving easy i average 37mpg mixed.

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I absolutely hate crimp conectors with a passion, everything I do is soldered with adhesive lined marine heat shrink. Now I'm investigating inconsistent reaction from the door locks going to check for sticky contacts. Also I think I have a striped tooth or two on the drivers window right as it reaches the top.

Currently putting on the leather door panels as soon as I make sure I am all done inside a door. Don't want to have to take them off again as the door panels for these cars seem extra fragile. The "s4" tdi is amazing its a 2001 everything is s4 except the motor that is a malone tuned 2.0 bhw with a garret gtb2260vk, 6speed manual of course lol. Even with awd and not driving easy i average 37mpg mixed.
Please tell me its yellow, lol. Post some pictures from that S4 next to the wagon.

crsracing

TDI
2001 audi s4
Its absolutely yellow. but not only that, since it started life as a a4 its the brilliant yellow instead of Imola yellow so its even brighter. I'll move some cars around and try to take a picture tomorrow.

crsracing

TDI
2001 audi s4
Here you go @ssaric1.9TDI sorry it took so long life has been busy and the s4 was dirty and needed washed before I could take pictures.

Back on topic, couple qestions
Is there a plug for the door harness right inside the body ? Having trouble with drivers door lock not locking/unlocking doors properly and suspect another broken wire but would be nice to pull door harness and test throughly.
Also I need a new door jamb sensor for the front drivers door but can't seem to find one listed anywhere. Part number just brings up a oem vw page with no picture that isn't very helpful.
Currently trying to figure out a good way to remove the "soft touch" plasti dip like coating used on the interior door handles as it was peeling terribly.

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
@crsracing, I saw that audi for sale a while back, glad that it went to someone on this forum who is going to take a great care of it. I bet its a lot of fun to rip that thing around corners. The color is absolutely amazing even if its brighter than imola yellow. Passat also looks great and very clean. You have a great taste in cars. Which ever one you decide to sell out of the two, hit me up.

Thank you
SAM

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Is there a plug for the door harness right inside the body ? Having trouble with drivers door lock not locking/unlocking doors properly and suspect another broken wire but would be nice to pull door harness and test throughly.
B4 door locks are actuated by vacuum, not electricity. A vacuum line runs alongside the wires. The central vac pump is in the trunk.

crsracing

TDI
2001 audi s4
@crsracing, I saw that audi for sale a while back, glad that it went to someone on this forum who is going to take a great care of it. I bet its a lot of fun to rip that thing around corners. The color is absolutely amazing even if its brighter than imola yellow. Passat also looks great and very clean. You have a great taste in cars. Which ever one you decide to sell out of the two, hit me up.

Thank you
SAM
Appreciate the kind words, I watched it on Craigslist for awhile before it dropped to a price I could swing. I always wanted a tdi manual awd but of course they have to be built. It's an amazing balance of handling/power/economy it makes a phenomenal daily driver. I will never get rid of the audi, I haven't fell in love with the wagon as much yet but I haven't driven it much either.
B4 door locks are actuated by vacuum, not electricity. A vacuum line runs alongside the wires. The central vac pump is in the trunk.
I was referring to the key turn function to lock/unlock all the doors. Luckily the vacuum system is functional.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The body end of the door harness will come out of the body with minimal effort, but you’ll need to remove the kick panel first. There are tabs holding it into the body that will allow it to come free.

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Totaly understand you, I wouldn't sell the audi either. I am also sure that you'll love the passat just as much with all that space inside and 20gal tank it will be a blast driving it even if its not as fast as audi. Enjoy them and keep us posted.

SAM

crsracing

TDI
2001 audi s4
Thanks @Abacus i will take it out and go through the whole thing with a ohm meter, good rainy day project.
Saturday I got the front seats out, the carpet vacuumed/cleaned and the rear leather cleaned up

Today after work I got the front leather seats cleaned up and put in. I also put in real leather shift and e brake boots along with assembling a working ash tray and rear cup holder that isn't broken.

crsracing

TDI
2001 audi s4
As i mentioned before my drivers window regulator was having issues. Debated trying to find a used oem one or settling for an aftermarket one and just diceded to pull my window regulator to repair. drilled the cracks and welded it up, also welded on some new gear teeth.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I’ve welded new teeth on several regulators, but I’ve never seen those cracks before. Good job.

-Todd

TDeanI

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat TDI Wagon w/ 286K mi.
If my driver's window won't quite go all the way up to the top (last 1"), do you think it is stripped teeth on the regulator?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Stripped teeth usually cause popping noises in the door. There is an adjustment cam on the regulator that determines the window travel. either way, you’ll need to pull the regulator to see.

-Todd

crsracing

TDI
2001 audi s4
@ToddA1 thanks for posting that, I was just about to ask lol

Next task is the passenger door handle, the car came with spares but they still have the old lock cylinders in them and I don't have the key. Is there a better method then the twist and file with a blank to get those out if there?

crsracing

TDI
2001 audi s4
Well 5 lug swap is a go, also anyone have any tips on how to get a windshield out ?

Picked this up for a good deal will be using it for any parts I need then parting out the rest.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
@ToddA1 thanks for posting that, I was just about to ask lol

Next task is the passenger door handle, the car came with spares but they still have the old lock cylinders in them and I don't have the key. Is there a better method then the twist and file with a blank to get those out if there?
The method I use is to take a thin piece of aluminum, like gutter material (not the roll out flashing), and cut it down to the size of the key so it will fit into the cylinder. Wiggle it up and down a bunch so the brass tumblers make marks on the aluminum. Then take a thin file and gently file down where the tumblers hit. Do this until the aluminum turns the cylinder.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Well 5 lug swap is a go, also anyone have any tips on how to get a windshield out ?
There's probably a good video on youtube, but i think you get a hole started in the adhesive with an ice pick, then run a piano wire through the hole, then saw through the adhesive all the way around, with one end of the wire inside, one outside.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If it’s the original windshield, look to the lower center. There will be string crossing each other. VW installed a rip cord to help removal. Why…. no clue? Rotbox, didn’t have these.

Pull in the opposite direction as they’re installed. Hold both sides when you approach the end or it may pull out. I removed 2 OE windshields with these and reinstalled the string in my B4V, when the OE replacement went in.

-Todd