My "new" storm grey b4v

crsracing

TDI
2001 audi s4
Picked this up through a friend of a friend yesterday, wasn't specifically looking for one but you can't pass up a car like this. 1996 passat tdi wagon 5 speed 113,xxx miles 1 owner. was told it needs struts and brakes plus obviously a windshield. I briefly drove it up my street today and it seems pretty solid, fired right after sitting for a couple years. First order of business is filter and fluids change. 2nd is installing the complete 97 vr6 leather interior including console and door cards that came with it. 3rd will be addressing the suspension and where I'm not entirely sure what direction I want to go. Eyeing some st coilovers since it needs struts anyways. Also been reading about 5 lug swaps and there bigger brakes and better suspension geometry. But on the other hand tempted to keep it stock, I already have my 2001 "s4" tdi for the fun stuff. Either way this will probably be a slow long term project since it drives and I have other projects with a higher priority. Either way I feel lucky to have it and have been enjoying learning about it.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
5 lug swap is a bit project. You'll need a donor. I'd keep it stock. It's a fantastic cruiser!

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4, '97 Jetta
Looks good, other than the windshield! Last time I checked, the windshield was Nla, so start looking into part outs.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Nice find, I would think you can get a windshield via the aftermarket, but as Todd mentioned factory glass is NLA for it.

I know you intend to do the fluids etc but I would shy away from the trans unless you plan to replace factory fluid with another GL4 rated gear oil. Going with a GL5 is bad news for brass components.

It looks like a winner!!

Steve

crsracing

TDI
2001 audi s4
Well, I got all the door handles working all but one where in good shape and just needed adjusted. Passenger front was a little bent so I straightened it out but not sure it will hold. The issues was the actual door latch was gummed up and needed lubricated.
Next thing to figure out is the drivers window doesn't work. The dash switches won't roll either front windows down, the drivers door switch will only roll the passenger window down. But the passenger works fine off its own switch and both rears work fine. Any ideas would be much appreciated I don't have a manual yet and not super familiar with these yet.
As for oil I ran into the same thing with my jeep, the gl4 and brass. I ended up going with redline mt90 as it specifically states its gl4 and safe with brass. Engine oil and oil fuel air filter are first.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I’ll bet money that it’s the wiring it’s broken inside the door fellows where the door hinges are. I don’t know how many of those are prepared over the years. You can remove the Bellows completely and it’ll make repairing them a lot easier.

crsracing

TDI
2001 audi s4
You where right! One of the bigger wires was completely broken in half. Thanks for the tip never would have thought to check that, of all the cars I've had/worked on thats never been a thing.

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI, 2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Picked this up through a friend of a friend yesterday, wasn't specifically looking for one but you can't pass up a car like this. 1996 passat tdi wagon 5 speed 113,xxx miles 1 owner. was told it needs struts and brakes plus obviously a windshield. I briefly drove it up my street today and it seems pretty solid, fired right after sitting for a couple years. First order of business is filter and fluids change. 2nd is installing the complete 97 vr6 leather interior including console and door cards that came with it. 3rd will be addressing the suspension and where I'm not entirely sure what direction I want to go. Eyeing some st coilovers since it needs struts anyways. Also been reading about 5 lug swaps and there bigger brakes and better suspension geometry. But on the other hand tempted to keep it stock, I already have my 2001 "s4" tdi for the fun stuff. Either way this will probably be a slow long term project since it drives and I have other projects with a higher priority. Either way I feel lucky to have it and have been enjoying learning about it.
Great looking wagon. Keep us posted on all the improvements you do to that car. Also S4 TDI, that sounds great.