My New Dyno just shy of 300WHP on pure #2 Diesel

dvst8r

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
Well a great thanks to all who got me too this point ( I will make another post to list and thank all of you as there are a lot), we still have a ways to go, but I am happy for this as our initial dyno on the new motor.

Obviously ignore the A/F ratio thingy as they dyno mostly gassers and just left it unhooked, I think that it still shows the a/f from the last car that dynoed... :confused:

I'm sure you are all chomping at the bit to know what it took to get here so here is the list or as much of it as i can remember.

-pd150 block o-ringed and crank
-crank knife edged balaced and polished
-custom carrillo rods, balanced and polished
-custom modified stock pistons (bowl enlarged for reduced compression, valve reliefs cut for bigger cam, lightend, balanced ect...)
-VE head, o-ringed, ported, polished flowbenched ect... (almost $5K cdn worth of work)
-Custom intake and exhaust manifolds, pulsed, equal length, exuast manifold is Inconel, intake is Aluminum
-BIG custom cam (coolest sounding diesel ever, has a real lumpy idle, took some good tuning to make this work)
-HD beehive valve springs, Ti retainers
-ARP head studs, Main studs, rod bolts, and most fasteners.
-BIG precision FMIC
-FM Oil and fuel coolers
EDM honed R520's (couldn't wait anylonger for the 7holes, will upgrade do edm honed 7 holes when they become avalible)
-Custom Turbo based on a Garrett GT-28R, modified for my needs (can't give you exact specs becuase i hoenestly don't know, it is a work in progress)
-Built 02J, with LSD, SMF and Spec Clutch stage III I think..

Finally the Heart and soul of this motor the biggest baddest Injection pump ever to sit on a VW.

Custom one off INLINE 4, based off of the bosch p7100 6cyl but with 2 barrells lopped off. It has some huge rack travel, a custom cut fuel plate, and 13mm plungers moves 800cc of fuel at full go. The biggest drawback is not having dynamic timing and having to run a bunch of extra timing in area's that it is not needed. Over all timing is still quite conservitive at about 33*. The reason that we went to ALL OF THE WORK to get this pump on there and working was we kept seizing VE pumps at 6000rpm+

Do to the mounting nature of this pump there will be no pics of the engine at this point untill the company that built it gives me the okay, it is there proprietary diesign and I will respect that, so don't even ask, not even on a PM.

I will try and get some build pics of this together, with some manifold pics, and turbo pics, overall a ton of work and $$$$ went into this but haveing it up and runing make it all worth while.

In the near future mods include a Water meth setup, and a compound twin turbo setup. I want the boost to build a little sooner, and still hold on down the stretch. :cool:

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
LOL! Good one! NIce attention to detail to make the story more believable. I was pretty impressed and was going to ask if you could possibly make it to the Dyno/Track day on the 13th ... but I guess there's no need if you were just pranking! :D

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Just goes to show you can make a dyno say pretty much anything you want it to. ;) :D

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
HAHAHA! yeah, it just about had me :p - sounded pretty technical and way over my head so it almost sounded right :eek:. but then i've already been burned twice with april fools jokes on me lol :D

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
LOL, I was starting to think that you could have been better off putting in a V10 Tdi engine ... Great prank! :)

HO'OLAKO

Veteran Member
If you built that john deere. Tdi should be a piece of cake. I was hooked, great job! P.S. Should of ran on Alchohol first to crack 600hp

dvst8r

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
HO'OLAKO said:
If you built that john deere. Tdi should be a piece of cake. I was hooked, great job! P.S. Should of ran on Alchohol first to crack 600hp
Not mine, just one of my favorites. My grandfather was big into Tractor pulling when he was alive, and as such I was born with diesel in the vains. I have helped build a farm stock and super stock tractor's. Once I get a big chunk of this extra overhead ($$$$) under control I will build a TDI very close to what I described except with twin turbo's.

I'm glad everyone enjoyed it.

Tdi Meister you are so correct about a dyno. ;) :D

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
droppedjet said:
I knew it was fake cause he should have like almost 600 tourque
Not always 100% true, tuning can ensure there is safe torque down low and if this ficticious engine was running ~6500rpm then insane amount of torque wouldn't be needed. Hey then it would be a gasser!

Mark@MaloneTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
droppedjet said:
I knew it was fake cause he should have like almost 600 tourque
Based on this dyno (of a modified PD100 TDI), it produces 300bhp and 389ft lb of torque. More recently that engine supposedly made 330-350hp (11 sec in the 1/4 mile) but I haven't seen an updated dyno so I don't know what its final torque curve looks like.

Like Slave2school said, to a limited extent it is possible to control torque without affecting peak HP.

Last edited:

B4Ugo

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat 1Z, 2003 W8 TIP, 2004 GLX 4motion wagon 6spd tdi.
Pelican18TQA4 said:
Almost believed the original post until I saw the 6500 RPM redline on the dyno graph.
With that (fictitious) amount of bottom end & valve train work, 6500+ RPM wouldn't be a problem.

I believed it because I wanted to believe it.

My favorite part was the seizing fuel pumps!!!......COOL!:cool:

dvst8r

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
droppedjet said:
yeah I knew it was fake because the tourque should be somewhere around 600 but yeah nice try though...
Only if it was going to happen over the stock rpm range. ;)

TDIMIG

TDI
2001 Jetta 5 spd
This was good ... but has anyone come close to building a 300 hp tdi?
if so what components were used and what results were achived? i am looking to follow a proven combo to reach as high hp as possible.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
dvst8r said:
Only if it was going to happen over the stock rpm range. ;)
Then the torque figure should have been even higher over the 6500rpm range , and a comment from said person saying that they had to limit the torque because of clutch and drive train problems would had helped to cement the story.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
TDIMIG said:
This was good ... but has anyone come close to building a 300 hp tdi?
if so what components were used and what results were achived? i am looking to follow a proven combo to reach as high hp as possible.
I know of a 320+ bhp (flywheel) TDI and mine should be pushing for 300bhp (flywheel again) by the middle of May - Still got a bit to do to mine, including installing all the sensors/gauges which will let me keep an eye on how the engine is behaving itself.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
mojogoes said:
Then the torque figure should have been even higher over the 6500rpm range , and a comment from said person saying that they had to limit the torque because of clutch and drive train problems would had helped to cement the story.
Not really, 300 HP at 6,000 RPM only takes 262 ft/lbs of torque...

TDIMIG

TDI
2001 Jetta 5 spd
devonutopia,

Can you provide some detail ? "has anyone come close to building a 300 hp tdi?
if so what components were used and what results were achived? i am looking to follow a proven combo to reach as high hp as possible"