My new clutch...

SoCalJames

Veteran Member
TDI
I no longer own a TDI
I bought a Sachs "Stage I" clutch from ECS-tuning. (W/ the 14lb steel flywheel). Feel is brilliant as is the take-up (FYI). BUT...It chatters! Will this go away? Anyone know what causes clutch chatter? It's quite bad at times. It's exacerbated by the fact that my engine idles extremely poorly at the moment. I think one of my PP520 injectors is on the fritz.

Oil_Burner

Veteran Member
I bought a ECS-tuning Sachs "Stage I" clutch w/ the 14lb steel flywheel. Feel is brilliant as is the take-up FYI. BUT...It chatters! Will this go away? It's quite bad at times. It's exacerbated by the fact that my engine idles extremely poorly at the moment. I think one of my PP520 injectors is on the fritz.

No I dont think it will go away.

TB

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I'm not so sure about that. My Spec stage 2/3 hybrid chattered like mad. I switched to a urethane motor mount and that holds the motor more steady, limiting chatter. I've put alot of miles on it now, and it seems to chatter alot less now. Hopefully yours will do the same. I also noticed that it chatters more when cold. I did a few hard hard launches, and it doesnt chatter at all.

SoCalJames

Veteran Member
TDI
I no longer own a TDI
Howdy! Might you tell me where you obtained your urethane motor mounts? Think my stage I clutch can handle a RC stage 3.1 chip, or an Upsolute Stage II?

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
got em from ecs tuning. they do transmit alot more vibration to the cabin. One of the performance vendors has done a new lower dogbone that is supposed to transmit less vibration. It looks exactly like the stock mount, and is not the vf engineering billet mount. Unfortunately I cant find the link.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
ecs or eip sells that new dogbone mount. Pretty good price. I went cheap and got the two part bushing from www.suspension.com edit unless they loosen up I'll be taking them out. They make my little Golf shake and sound like a Mack truck on the inside

Oldpoopie how bad is that motor mount vibration?

From what the gassers say they hate it

dropFROG

Veteran Member
TDI
Jolf 2001
Are you referring to the noise.. i.e., you step on the clutch at idle and it goes away?.. If so, this is the result of a solid F-wheel which doesnt have the dampening properties of the DMF...

The other chatter I get is when feathering the throttle around very low speed movments (i.e. parking the car)... I used to get it bad till I got a modified program for my ecu. It has lessend but its still there.. seems a common thing when upgrading to a solid flywheel and a more aggresive clutch.. My 2 cents..

SoCalJames

Veteran Member
TDI
I no longer own a TDI
Thanks- And yeah I hear you. I've learned to deal w/ it. The noise occurs as you describe.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
I'd call this clatter:
Are you referring to the noise.. i.e., you step on the clutch at idle and it goes away?.. If so, this is the result of a solid F-wheel which doesnt have the dampening properties of the DMF...
And this chatter. IE chattering between the clutch disk, pressure plate, and flywheel due to grabbyness.

The other chatter I get is when feathering the throttle around very low speed movments (i.e. parking the car)... I used to get it bad till I got a modified program for my ecu. It has lessend but its still there.. seems a common thing when upgrading to a solid flywheel and a more aggresive clutch.. My 2 cents..

wideopen

TDI
I just had a vr6/g60 clutch installed, and
I get the same thing. I get used to it until I get
back in my 300zx and realize how rough the tdi is now.