My Jetta MK6 TDI: Lucky dog or tragic victim?

agxster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1.9 TDi DSG (Mk.V) 2008 - RIP
Your cab still looks really good, amazing it has held up so well.

I'm fairly certain your VW dealer can get you new seat cover/cloth to replace that torn one.

Looking forward to the next update.

snakefart

TDI
2011 JSW 6MT ------ 2013 Jetta 6MT (went away)
I just stumbled across this thread.......wow, I am impressed with Dozenspeed's care of his car and how well it is holding up. Great story too, I enjoyed the read. This gives me faith that my new to me 13' TDI will hold up to the 50k miles a year I put down commuting.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
Any recent updates dozenspeed? Current mileage, any unscheduled maintenance, how's the car running?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I just did his 270k service. Still looks/runs/drives as good as ever. :)

Not sure if it is listed in this thread, but the original turbo finally died right after it crossed over 1/4 million miles. Which is still VERY good service from one of those. I have one at the shop that didn't make it much past 90k right now, and another on the way in that didn't make it to 120k.

Last edited:

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wow, does praise come any higher on this forum? :eek::cool:

Allow me to recipocate then.

I posted this in the monster dieselgate thread, but of course it was buried in about 15 minutes and I'm not sure anyone saw it....:rolleyes: so I'm going to post it here again in hopes a couple folks will get a chance to see it:

I'm proud to have the Oilhammer caring for my car for over 180,000 miles. He changed my oil just yesterday.

He brings in serious business to his shop (of which he is merely employed, mind you) not by soliciting for it, but just by being who he is. His competant maintenance of my vehicle is surely a big factor to why I have had reletively little trouble with my CR which seems to be amazingly mechanically original compared to others even at 270k on the clock. He's done more wear-and-tear cosmetic work for me than actual repairs from component failure. :rolleyes:

On top of that, I live just 20 miles away, so while I understand why many are jealous of this advantage I have, any haters can still suck it. :p
Anyway, in response to Derek's inquiry, car is still running great at 271,6xx miles and the turbo has been the only serious thing so far. I did replace the RCV valve in AC compressor this summer as the performance got a bit weak. HPFP, exhaust flap, DPF, suspension, BRAKES.....all OE so far. :D I am concerned about a minor clutch noise, but so far oilhammer hasn't heard it and he thinks I'm crazy. Car drives beautifully and largely rattle-free. Understandly my perception should be tainted in my notice of slow degredation, but largely it doesn't seem to be wearing out. It really still feels like a sub-50k mile car.

For those following this saga, you might be interested in another thread I have about people's comments on the car:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=447331

Cheers!

croppz

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 DSG Jetta TDI
Dude this is awesome! Such a nice change over all of the doomsday dieselgate, HPFP, DPF threads.

Something positive on an internet car forum? Seriously? hahah, keep it up, actually surprised it still has OE brakes!

ben2mx

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE
Have you tested any diesel additives to see if they improve anything at all? say fuel efficiency?

Why do this cars require the air filter to be changed for so long (I think every 40k?).

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Dude this is awesome! Such a nice change over all of the doomsday dieselgate, HPFP, DPF threads.

Something positive on an internet car forum? Seriously? hahah, keep it up, actually surprised it still has OE brakes!
Thanks for your positive feedback. :)

Have you tested any diesel additives to see if they improve anything at all? say fuel efficiency?

Why do this cars require the air filter to be changed for so long (I think every 40k?).

I thought the air filter was 60k, don't know why. At $23, no harm in doing it early I say.

I don't really use any additives as all, sorry. :eek:

manny_c44

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I didn't realize the car was a manual until this last batch of pictures, overall a very interesting taxi (although here in the EU you'll see a lot of Skoda Rapids and a few Jettas used as taxis).

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Greetings remaining TDI fans,

It's been a tough past year but we are still soldiering on in the thick of the battle. She's not looking her best at the moment, sadly, after a fair onslaught of debris attacks on my road warrior. The paint on the replacement hood is second rate compared to OE and my new bumper from last year lasted less than 3 months before a wayward tire tread littering the interstate was flung at it by a car that ran over it. The paint on that is also not nearly as robust at the first time around. Money and will restrain me from trying again right now, perhaps in the spring.

She's currently up to 62+ months of continuous commission.

Here are some recent pictures. With everything going on right now, she isn't as clean in these as I would like or was at the 300,000 milestone, but merely acceptable for posting at this historical juncture.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
All original floor materials in principal passenger seat. Not seen is the fraying of the rear edge of the carpet mat. Also, the rear right seat has develped a small crack. I have doctored it a couple times to keep it presentable, but soon I'm going to commission a pro to do it up respectably.

Under the driver's seat!

Here is a daring shot one does not, should not show, between the driver's seat and console....
You can see the dust I can't reach with my vacuum, I should get a brush, or better yet pull the seats. I don't like to mess with cleaning the rails very much without new grease handy to relube them.

Lots of wear here, my seat is still quite embarrassing but I'll live. You can see my boot heels have sunk clear through the rubber mat and the carpet underneath. I've been staving off the problem with routine swaps of wax applicator pads to keep the carpet from getting worse. I'm perturbed I cannot buy the single driver mat. The others I have are intact and being forced to buy a set of all 4 is wasteful.

These are going to be last pictures with this dispatch system installed, as the company is swapping everyone out to a new system and provider. As I did the original install myself, I am in the process of redoing the car how I like to accomodate the new equipment, and I wanted to get these last pics before this new era.

Here you can see the mass of wires that were needed. I tried to trim a passage hole, but it still won't really accomodate the missing panel shown. Shoddy I know. Now while I avoided drilling any holes in the dash, I did regrettably put a couple in the console, to mount a CD radio as part of the original install but that I took back out a few weeks later. Dang it.

Close up of my mounting plate. It is set up to balance the load of the terminal on it's own, and is then stuck down with loads of 3m plastic locking tape. It is still stable and quiet since the install in June 2011.

Shown are the meter, the cellular modem, and the GPS attenna is the little black cube by the windshield. All this is essentially being replaced by an "iPad". Should be less electrical load at least.

This customer credit card reader is going too.

High score:

FAQ:

Only real major problem was the turbo at 256,xxx. $2600 in the end.

Rear brakes lasted until 280k service. Still on the factory fronts.

All original suspension, never aligned either.

Original HPFP and everything else fuel. Yes that is a 2micron kit. Still has good flow with ~125k miles on the filter.

Timing belts done at 120 and 240k.

Still original clutch, but she is asking now and slated to get a new one soon. There will be no SMF conversion.

My plan is to keep it sheltered away from VW's hands and on my mission. An exception to this is possible, but inconcievable.

Car represents over 26% of all my vehicle driving. I am very, very fond of it.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Wow, super clean car! Makes me want to wash, wax, and detail mine.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Looks so nice it makes me want to take the afternoon off and go work on mine.

agxster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1.9 TDi DSG (Mk.V) 2008 - RIP
Still enjoying your updates, keep it up, car looks great considering miles and work it is doing.

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
What A awesome read this thread was! Props to dozenspeed and oilhammer on keeping this car rolling basically flawlessly! Is there any updates on this, was it bought back?

oilhammer

TDI
It is still happily motoring along... closing in on 400k miles. Just replaced the original alternator.

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
That’s awesome, still original HPFP yet?
It’s too bad dozenspeed hasn’t been on here in a while. But good to know the cars still on the road

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
Haha! Everyone’s a bum once and a while, right?
So maybe I missed this but if you kept the car through the buyback does it not have the “fix” then?

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Haha! Everyone’s a bum once and a while, right?
So maybe I missed this but if you kept the car through the buyback does it not have the “fix” then?

I let them "fix" it at the last minute in december. Couldn't pass up the money and warranty. HPFP warrantied to 420k now. It's tolerable, but to this princess and the pea, VERY noticeable. Might stage 1.5 it after 420k to get those good vibrations back.

All right, no more questions for now! You'll have to wait for more details next update! :p

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
I may have missed it but I'm wondering how you mounted the CAT 2-micron filter on there. I'd love to do that on mine, as I had it on my last TDI and thought it was a great mod.

Congrats on the diligent maintenance to keep that kitten purring all these many miles! Definitely an encouraging post. I'd say you have an unfair advantage with Oilhammer next door practically.

oilhammer

TDI
The road grader filter is thankfully gone now.

It fit like socks on a rooster, albeit its components were well made. There just wasn't enough room under the already cramped hood, and the secondary filter had to be wedged against the inside of the headlight bucket. I never did like the way it fit, and it made fuel filter replacement take twice as long and make thrice the mess.