My first TDI

oildripper

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Hey there boys and girls! Picked up this wagon from my boss that he got from a customer that didn't want to spend any money on it. And i was just the sucker to do so! Plus it was a project i wanted for me and the wife to have some fun with. Its a little rough and could use some body work and some love. But onto the good stuffs.
https://freeimage.host/i/pass.2x7GYF

When i got it i was told that i had ZERO oil pressure. Which okay, could be a number of things. Hell i didn't know what i was getting myself into. My boss told me that it could be the balance shaft that took a dump. Found that Kerma TDI does a delte and bought that kit and a new cartridge for the turbo. So when i had some time i got the harness loose then onto getting that motor yanked out.
https://freeimage.host/i/pass3.2x70rP

Well with the engine out, it was time for tear down. Everything was looking good, except for some usual suspects. So some parts are going to get replaced.
https://freeimage.host/i/pass6.2x7Vpa
https://freeimage.host/i/pass7.2x7XTJ

During tear down found the balance shaft did take a dump, and it looked like to be the main cause. But whats worse is because it did, it spun a bearing on rod 3. So the crank is getting sent out to get fixed and will need to get some new bearings for it.

Whats worse is ill be moving to College Station here soon so i need to get this thing going ASAP! HA! Will post some updates as i go along as this is my first real Diesel engine i ever had, hell or even worked on for that matter.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Looks like you're getting into some fun! We love our wagon, it's good a lot of room! How was the camshaft? Mine has the balance shaft delete, it's got a little bit of vibration, but not too bad.

oildripper

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Surprisingly the cam looks good. There is wear on the cam followers but nothing too crazy. I love the room as the misses and i are trying to have a kiddo. So it would be a nice project for us till the crum snatcher shows up lol. As for the delete, how difficult was it to do? Pretty straight forward from their instructions from Kerma?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Surprisingly the cam looks good. There is wear on the cam followers but nothing too crazy. I love the room as the misses and i are trying to have a kiddo. So it would be a nice project for us till the crum snatcher shows up lol. As for the delete, how difficult was it to do? Pretty straight forward from their instructions from Kerma?
Yeah, I got mine from id-parts, probably the same thing. It's not too bad, especially if you have the engine out already.

oildripper

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Crank is being sent off today along with the head to get new valve stem seals replaced, along with me ordering rings and bolts

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
What is the state of the transmission? How many miles on it? Serviced on time? It would be a shame to put all the work into the engine and reinstall it when the transmission is either on its last legs or bad.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Good point, best drop pan and check for chunkies and clean out and install new filter. also leave pan off for more complete draining of old fluid. pour old through a paint strainer for good look at particles/slivers of steel.

oildripper

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
The converter will be changed out along with new filter and goodies. I pulled the pan before i yanked the engine out and i didn't see anything troubling. No metal or flakes. Crank is being sent back and the head was sent out to get new stem seals and getting looked over. So i should have it all back before the end of the week. And i also grabbed some new rings and bearing and bolts.

I did have a question tho. Would i benefit from an oil catch can on a TDI?