My First TDI

Anziil

TDI
2012 GTI, 2014 TDI Jetta
Ok. I finally bought my TDI. I have wanted one for a long time just had to wait til the right one caught my wallet.
So the one that hooked me was a 2012 GTI.

I love the car to death already. But I have never ran diesel. So I have no idea on the fine print. So I figure easiest way to get info is from peers and other fans. So here's a list of rookie questions.

1. Fuel additives? Yay or nay? If so brands & types?

2. Where is the best place to buy aftermarket parts? (Both cosmetic and performance.)

3. DPF... My car had popped a P240F. It's a dealer code and they want $2300 to fix it. I do t have that kind of change so I'm not fixing it yet. So if I run it without fixing it exactly how bad is it? It will be fixed in a month or so.

4. I use maverick fuel. Is there a quality difference or even a preference over other stations?

5. 7000 Mile oil changes?? I read that it's true but I still feel like that's a bit far. So when do you change yours?

6. A link to a maintenance schedule my car has 55k Miles on it and I'm worried about the timing belt.

Thank you in advance! Feel free to copy and paste for easy answering. I may update this post if I find other small questions.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I'm not a big fan of fuel additives; the oil companies know more than I do.
I fuel up at Shell; one of which is a truck stop with a lot of turn over.
I think the OCI(oil change interval) is 12K on your car; someone will have to confirm that. I go 11 to 12K and have an hour meter to monitor the time, since I do alot of stop-n-go driving. I would suggest finding an Owner's Manual for the maintenence or better yet, a Bentley Service Manual if you plan on doing some of your own work.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
You have a lot of reading to do here. Also read the manual it may seem boring but the info you seek is there.

Get used to the car then go for parts. Modding is a very slippery slope.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Ok. I finally bought my TDI. I have wanted one for a long time just had to wait til the right one caught my wallet.
So the one that hooked me was a 2012 GTI....
So, did you get a GTI, or a TDI?:confused:

Anziil

TDI
2012 GTI, 2014 TDI Jetta
I'm not a big fan of fuel additives; the oil companies know more than I do.
I fuel up at Shell; one of which is a truck stop with a lot of turn over.
I think the OCI(oil change interval) is 12K on your car; someone will have to confirm that. I go 11 to 12K and have an hour meter to monitor the time, since I do alot of stop-n-go driving. I would suggest finding an Owner's Manual for the maintenence or better yet, a Bentley Service Manual if you plan on doing some of your own work.

I have searched high and low for a manual for my car. But I can not find one to cover the years. Closest I find is MK5 and mines an MK6. If there is a place please share it I would love a Bentley but they don't have one either.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I have searched high and low for a manual for my car. But I can not find one to cover the years. Closest I find is MK5 and mines an MK6. If there is a place please share it I would love a Bentley but they don't have one either.

VW kicked Bentley out. It's a new company that won't sell to anyone. eBay has bootlegs in PDF. That's your only option.

bballppaul

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S - Buyback, replaced with new 2015 GolfSportwagen S DSG
It is a TDI GTI. So yes lol :D
Well I'm a bit confused because a TDI GTI doesn't exist...I was thinking maybe you were referring to the GTD, but your location says Utah, and the GTD wasn't sold in the US. Maybe you have a TDI but the previous owner put a GTI badge on it?

But yeah just wanted to let you know there isn't something called a TDI GTI.

Anziil

TDI
2012 GTI, 2014 TDI Jetta
Well I'm a bit confused because a TDI GTI doesn't exist...I was thinking maybe you were referring to the GTD, but your location says Utah, and the GTD wasn't sold in the US. Maybe you have a TDI but the previous owner put a GTI badge on it?
But yeah just wanted to let you know there isn't something called a TDI GTI.
No it is fully GTI with a TDI engine. The GTI really is just a trim model if the site would let me I would post some pics (Using my phone laptop is dieing) but the entire layout of the car is GTI except the engine.

Anziil

TDI
2012 GTI, 2014 TDI Jetta
Unless the previous owner bought a TDI and paid to have the entire chassis changed to the GTI. It's a 2012 TDI (Wolfsburg edition?) with GTI body. DSG trans. 2.0 Diesel. Tech package and all.

Anziil

TDI
2012 GTI, 2014 TDI Jetta
Okay since the website here wouldn't let me post any photos or videos of my car I posted a video of my GTI TDI on their Facebook page if anyone wants to see it it's just that 360 walk around

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Unless the previous owner bought a TDI and paid to have the entire chassis changed to the GTI. It's a 2012 TDI (Wolfsburg edition?) with GTI body. DSG trans. 2.0 Diesel. Tech package and all.
Whatever it is, you can be fairly certain that it did not come from VW in its present configuration.

Anziil

TDI
2012 GTI, 2014 TDI Jetta
Whatever it is, you can be fairly certain that it did not come from VW in its present configuration.
Yeah it's one of a kind makes me love it more. But I ant smoked headlights and such so what is the best site to buy after market cosmetics for VW?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
...so what is the best site to buy after market cosmetics for VW?
Most of us old farts here on TDIClub aren't interested in those kind of mods. You might check over at VWVortex. Good luck.

Just where did you say that you posted the photos of your car?

Anziil

TDI
2012 GTI, 2014 TDI Jetta
Most of us old farts here on TDIClub aren't interested in those kind of mods. You might check over at VWVortex. Good luck.
Just where did you say that you posted the photos of your car?
TDIClubs Facebook page

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
...if the site would let me I would post some pics...
Just saw this. You need to be a supporting member of TDIClub to post photos. There are three levels of support starting at $20/year. Given the help you're going to get here, that's a bargain. Just my 2¢.

vintovka

Banned
TDI
NO MORE VW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My first TDI sits in the garage awaiting its fate. It sounds like yours may be awaiting its too. If it must be "fixed" before any payout by VW it will be my last - ever.

Anziil

TDI
2012 GTI, 2014 TDI Jetta
It's a video. But maybe they declined it idk. And mine is an affected vehicle but there won't be a fix. There's no way for them to fix it and if they miraculously find a "Fix" I know people that will put my car on the fixed list without ruining it so not worried lol.