My Experience With the New Consumer Portable Fuel Containers

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Today was the first time I dispensed gasoline from one of these new gas cans designed (by law) to prevent evaporative emissions. I recently bought a 5-gallon one to add to the two non-sealed ones I've had for years. The can was full and I emptied its contents into the non-diesel we have in the family (Buick). Well, it took about four times as long (about 5 minutes) and I ended up spilling a cup or two of gas since I had to pull the filler out of the vehicle's filler neck several times to get the gas can to vent so more fuel would flow out. Also, the plastic filler pipe leaked where it screwed onto the plastic can and it was a mess. Got gas all over my hands, yuk!

I'm sure this can caused more evaporative emissions than the old containers, due to all the spillage when using.

Next time I use this can I plan on also using a big funnel and simply pouring the gas from the container.

I am not sure if I bought a crappy fuel container or if they all are like this. This one is unacceptable.

What are other people's experience with these?

--Nate

Last edited:

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Similar.

Lousy.

I've begin to think all the "do gooders" don't have small equipment or drive much.

How else can you explain CORN based Ethanol being mandated, the new poorly designed MANDATORY pour spouts, and similar things the gov't actually seem to be able to pass while letting more serious items go unaddressed.

They also make the new cans so old spouts won't work on them.

Just one more time when a gov't mandate has had the opposite of the intended effect. Much more fuel(gas & diesel) now being spilled.

I've seen folks pay more for a 10 year old can than a new one costs. And when mine start to die I'll be doing the same.

I only have one new diesel can for my Kubota. This week I poured it into an older diesel can before pouring into the tractor.

All change is not progress - this in an excellent example.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hi Dave. Agreed.

Don't get me started about corn-based ethanol-the process that uses MORE energy than it produces, while using our food resources.There is only one good use for ethanol, human consumption:).

--Nate

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
The new cans are a PITA-luckily I still have the older ones that aren't broken(yet)-I thought it was just a CARB state thing......if I see any old cans at auction,I try to get them.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I got so disgusted with the fuel can (5 gal.) that I bought - I just bought a cheap battery powered (2 D cells) pump. Now, I do not even try to pour the fuel. I just sit the can on the ground and remove the cap and insert the pump. I can pump 5 gallons of fuel in just a few minutes with no hassles, no spilled fuel, and no diesel smelling hands.

Have Fun!

Don

PressEnter[]

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta 6M
The new cans are useless. We use them for the snowblowers at work, and half the time they are such a pain we just end up unscrewing the nozzle altogether and sloshing the gas in. Much more environmentally friendly.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I like Don's idea, I just may do that.

The two 5-gallon cans I have, in addition to this new piece of garbage, I bought years ago at a yard sale for $2.50 each from someone unloading a kerosene heater and related items. They are red plastic with corrugated plastic nozzles and the smaller vent hole. They work great and completely seal.

Whenever I accumulate a large quantity of "gas points" (a rewards promotion with Shell for reduced gasoline price in exchange for buying groceries) from the Giant Food Store, I'll fill the tank of the Buick and fill three of the gas cans. The deal is that a single transaction will use your gas points, so you should buy as much as possible. I got 27 gallons of gas for $3.25 a gallon last month this way.

I don't buy diesel with the "gas points" because the Shell diesel is about 30 cents a gallon more than at the Hess station.

--Nate

Last edited:

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
I believe there is a lot of money to be made in making old style nozzles for new style cans for "off road use".

Can't believe someone hasn't done it yet (or that I haven't been able to find them yet).

An excellent idea for a Chinese company. All kinds of overnight/shell companies could import them, and if shutdown just start another company! It's about time we could acually BENEFIT form some CHinese crap!

GRIP I think would be an excellent candidate. But I can't really do much searching on their website since i'm not signed up.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I like Don's idea, I just may do that.

Here are reviews of the can I bought, poor poor reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratt...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

78 out of 124 gave it a one star, the lowest rating.

This one is typical: "Briggs and Stratton reinvented the wheel with a square. There is nothing good I can say about this gas can and I cannot say enough bad things about this gas can. The spout is a piece of crap. It will take you 15 minutes to figure out how to get gas to come out, and when you do, it dispenses at a rate of about 1 gallon every 10 seconds (NO LIE!). This is great, except it leaks everywhere and dispenses most of it on your hand. This seems like a great idea, BUT a regular gas can works perfectly fine. Save time, money, and frustration...DO NOT BUY THIS. I am thankful I bought this at a local retailer and I swiftly returned this gas can. This product is so worthless I felt obligated to post a review on Amazon."

Although mine is intended for kerosene (only difference is the can color, blue) and I bought at Walmart.

Here is the CFR citation that brought us these poor products:

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...text&node=40:6.0.1.1.7&idno=40#40:6.0.1.1.7.6

The rule covers exclusions. Anything over 10 gallons is exempt from the emissions requirement. And safety fuel cans with snap-shut spring-loaded openings and flame arrestors that are certified by UL and the like. I just need to get a bigger container.

Check this out: The container can not be a hazard to use, nor too difficult to use that is causes spillage:

The following controls are prohibited:

1) For anyone to design, manufacture, or install emission control systems so they cause or contribute to an unreasonable risk to public health, welfare, or safety while operating.

(2) Leaks. You must design and manufacture your containers to be free of leaks. This requirement applies when your container is upright, partially inverted, or completely inverted.

(3) Refueling. You are required to design your portable fuel containers to minimize spillage during refueling to the extent practical. This requires that you use good engineering judgment to avoid designs that will make it difficult to refuel typical vehicle and equipment designs without spillage.

(4) Portable fuel containers must meet the standards and requirements specified in this subpart throughout the useful life of the container. The useful life of the container is five years beginning on the date of sale to the ultimate purchaser.

I spilled gas all over the place when using the new one I bought. I looked at the brand. Bought it at Walmart: Briggs & Stratton, Manufactured under license by The Plastics Group, Inc. I paid about $25 for it I think.

The two 5-gallon cans I have, in addition to this new piece of garbage, I bought years ago at a yard sale for $2.50 each from someone unloading a kerosene heater and related items. They are red plastic with corrugated plastic nozzles and the smaller vent hole. They work great and completely seal.

Whenever I accumulate a large quantity of "gas points" (a rewards promotion with Shell for reduced gasoline price in exchange for buying groceries) from the Giant Food Store, I'll fill the tank of the Buick and fill three of the gas cans. I got gas for $3.25 a gallon last month this way.

I don't buy diesel with the "gas points" because the Shell diesel is about 30 cents a gallon than at the Hess station.

--Nate

Last edited:

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Get some 1/4" plastic line from the hardware store, the type that is used for hooking up ice makers and such. Cut a length that reaches from the cap diagonally down to the bottom corner on the handle side. Stick one end in the vent hole under the nozzle.

This improves the venting and makes pouring fuel out of these cans a bit less sucky.

vwa1

Veteran Member
TDI
1982 Rabbit Turbo Diesel. I think it counts! Please don't banish me to the Vortex!
The one I bought works perfectly now that I cut off the spring loaded seal thing. All that's left is a plastic spout. Think it's made by midwest can. Haha, yup, there's a youtube video of a dude "modifying" one to actually work. http://youtu.be/dyJcG_gW1xw

I didn't vent mine yet though. I tried using it for the first time and was like "oh to hell with this bull#@%" Then I broke parts off until just the spout was left. If it bothers me I will add a precision vent hole with an awl or phillips screwdriver. Perfection.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I'm glad my youngest fuel can is the diesel one that I bought at the end of '06, just after I got my Beetle. I have a 5-gallon plastic gas can that I bought 20 years ago. It still works just fine and gets regular use.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks everyone. This is informative. I looked at the crappy can again and the big issue is the lack of external venting. This caused the can to partially collapse the the fuel to stop flowing and I'd pull the nozzle out of the car's fuel filler to allow the gas can to vent after I pulled it out of the car's filler neck, but the spring in the can nozzle would shut the flap at the nozzle base, creating a vacuum and this prevented the gas in the can nozzle to flow into the car's fuel tank and the gas would pour out of the nozzle as I pulled it free of the car's filler neck. I don't think the can leaked, as I originally did.

So the solution is per the video: Install an external vent and remove the gas can nozzle flap, thus converting the gas can to the old style. I'd only need the tire valve stem. The can came with a tight-fitting external spout cap. No need to buy a cap.

0.45-inch tire valve stem and metal valve stem cap with gasket. I gotta remember that and get one at Advance Auto Parts and then unscrew the schraeder valve from it and install it in the can after drilling a half-inch hole.

--Nate

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
Looks like I'll be doing similar.

Some of these companies make water cans too - I'm wondering what their spouts look like and if they have the old threads so their spouts won't fit the new cans.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I have some of the Blitz cans. Have not tried anything more new than oh 8 years or so. But the Blitz cans I have do not have the little vent at the back, just the ventless nozzle.

On the one gallon can it's really not that bad. It's actually kinda nice that it pours slowly, makes it easier to fill the push mower. On the 5 gallon cans it's basically worthless. I simply put some 3/8 bolts into the cans, where the vent ought to be. After putting in/out a few times I can do that by hand, w/o a wrench. Quick fix.

Looks like I should start snapping up the older style cans when I see them.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
All mine are Blitz cans - well atleast all my plastic ones, including the only one with a new style spout that I've ever had to purchase.

I'm not much of a flea market person. But I went to a large one with a friend on Saturdey near my weekend place while running stuff up and dropping stuff off.

Not jsut vintage but jsut older (normal spout) cans were hard to find and costing more than new cans. Even sun faded and brittle plastic cans.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
what I did on mine was drill a small hole that a smooth nail fits tight into that I pull out when I pour from the can. first time I used the can I got tired and had to set it down for a rest a couple times because it pours sooooo slow the way the nozzle is made. now it pours fast,

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Retrofit

You can retrofit you new cans. http://ezpourspout.com/wp/

Or if you know someone in Canada have them bring you two or three cans, Canada still has the old style cans that function properly w/o leaking all over the place.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
First - sorry if there are pictures that answer obvious questions. The firewall at work blocks most of them.

I have several of the Blitz cans with the simple version of the CARB approved gas can spout - they are a pain for filling cars, but work great for lawn mowers and such. I have seen a couple of the more complicated versions of the CARB spout - they are complete garbage.

I followed the link in post #18. The simple spout is in the lower picture with a yellow cap on it and works fine. The complicated spouts are in the first picture with the big red circle over them. The simple spout works like the older "Jerry can" we had growing up - it sucks air back up the spout past the fuel you are pouring.

For filling cars I just put the simple spout on 90* from where you would normally so I can tip the can up enough to pour. It takes a couple seconds in the right position then you can hear air gurgling in past the fuel.

Jason

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Help me, Ober-(one)-kanone. You're my only hope....
Now I can add sealable vents to my non-vented 'gurgle' spout jugs.

kalalp

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Blitz went bankrupt when they had a multimillion dollar judgement against them for the guy that was using his gas can to throw gas on his barbecue. You would think that Darwin's theory would be in effect on this occasion but the jury decided otherwise.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
Blitz went bankrupt when they had a multimillion dollar judgement against them for the guy that was using his gas can to throw gas on his barbecue. You would think that Darwin's theory would be in effect on this occasion but the jury decided otherwise.

Was it Shakespeare that said "First we kill all the lawyers"?

Lawyer - one who's primary purpose in life is to defend innocent people from others in his profession.

2 other similar situations com eto mind. Years ago on the Tonight SHow - with Carson.

A fella picked up his lawn mower to cut his hedges - cut his fingers off - wmanufacturer was in trouble because no specific warning to not pick up a running mower or to not use it for hedges.

A fella I beleive died because he fell off a ladder. He set up the ladder early in the morning when the manure pile was frozen that he placed it on. Came back several hours later when it was warm outside and the manure was warm. Ladder slid and he fell off and I believe was killed. I believe the manufactured was a small business - al older guy and Carson had him onthe show. He was likely to loose his business because there was no warning specifically to check the temperature of your manure before climbing the ladder if it was placed into manure.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
From reading just one article, there were many more than just one. It appears there is no limit on how stupid people can be. How unfortunate that the jury joined in the stupidity.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
wow; 2 pages of comments on gas containers. I learned long ago the cheapo plastic fuel cans where simply crap, they either leaked while pouring or leaked while transporting to and from the fuel station. The newer vent-less ones are only worse because it pours slower so it spills more in the process.

Its called a Jerry Can and they can be had for 30-50 bucks and last more then a lifetime. I've never had a plastic one but the metal ones i have never leak; and the narrow width make them a whole lot easier to lift and pour. Just wish i could find a small 1-2 gallon version for mixed 2-stroke fuel.

Bought a new one recently for a gift and it was still a vented pour so the regulations must only apply to monster mart type sales?

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Apparently, this guy RTFM:

Amazon Reviewer said:
I bought 3 of these to stock up on gas for sandy. I saw all the bad reviews and figured worst case, i will just take off the spout and use a funnel.I ended up not needing the gas until today and wanted to use it soon because as we all know, gas doesnt exactly store well.

So I tired the funnel as the very first attempt without the spout. That didn't go so well.
So the I tired the funnel with the spout, that didn't go so well either
Then I just tried the spout and did not have any issue at all and didn't spill a drop of gas.

I think because I figured the spout out on the second attemp made the final attempt actually work.

So here's the deal. The spout needs to be pushed in in order to work. There is a shut off flap inside the spout that opens when the spout is pushed back. Now there is a green locking mechanism that needs to be turned in order for the spout to push back. So the order of operation is

Put spout into gas tank of your car. Turn green lock so pins line up and lock is disengaged. Lean a slight bit into the gas can while holding it so the spout compresses past the green lock (you are holding the green lock in position as it is spring loaded) after the spout is compressed, take your hand off the lock but remain slightly leaned in to keep spout compressed.

You will find that the gas will slow down if the spout is not completely compressed down. I emptied a 5 gallons into my car in under 3 minutes without issue.

Based on other users experiences, it's not the spout that needs to rotate, it's the green locking mechanism. There is also no need at all to remove the cut off safety feature in the spout.

Let me know if you need pictures or a video. I know I went through a few steps here but it really was not complicated getting these working. All 3 that I bought worked identically and worked well.

4 stars due to the learning curve.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you?

Report abuse| Permalink
But, while we're at it, why don't we blame Obama, 'enviro-weenies', and anyone else we want to rant on, eh?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
wow; 2 pages of comments on gas containers. I learned long ago the cheapo plastic fuel cans where simply crap, they either leaked while pouring or leaked while transporting to and from the fuel station. The newer vent-less ones are only worse because it pours slower so it spills more in the process.

Its called a Jerry Can and they can be had for 30-50 bucks and last more then a lifetime. I've never had a plastic one but the metal ones i have never leak; and the narrow width make them a whole lot easier to lift and pour. Just wish i could find a small 1-2 gallon version for mixed 2-stroke fuel.

Bought a new one recently for a gift and it was still a vented pour so the regulations must only apply to monster mart type sales?
I don't know if they are called Jerry cans, but I have seen small metal gas cans of about 1-2 gallon size in the same perportions as a Jerry can. I'll try to post a link if I can find it.

Jason

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"

Metal cans rust. Plastic cans do not and I've not experienced problems with them leaking until the EPA mandated cans that leak.

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
The "safety can" series at Grainger is still a nice product, the ones with the clip on funnel go on sale from time to time.