My Engine Mount Problem (with pics)

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Man, 60 miles is NOTHING! for proven good service on a problem like yours.

why not pay a couple hundred for a tow instead of a couple thousand for a headache (dealership motor replacement)

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
no_rs said:
thanks gents
unfortunately, they are both over 60 miles from me.

I'll wait and see what VW says today after they get into it a bit before I commit to a repair.

YMZ - you're right about the horizontal bolts. I could feel one of the horizontal bolts sheared off when I was feeling around up there.

What are the chances that the timing belt jumped a cog or two when this happened. The motor was running very rough and loud afterwards.

thanks
Bill K
Another possible option: autobahnauto in Lakewood. He may not have experience with the block repair kit, but he does have a lot of experience work on TDI's (and German diesels in general) and should work with you. Tell him Ian from the MINI club sent you.

no_rs

TDI
02 Jet, 03 Jet wagon
could everyone who has had this happen to them please report it to NHSTA.
if they get enough incidences, they could force VW it pay for the fix.
thanks
Bill K

here's the link - takes about 3 minutes to drill through the pages - you must have the vin #, but you don't have to be the owner of the car.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm

also, it might be a good idea to let VoA know we aren't pleased that the motors keep falling out of our cars

http://www.vw.com/customerservice/faqs/customercare/en/us/

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
no_rs said:
if they get enough incidences, they could force VW it pay for the fix.
That will happen when the cow finally succeeds in jumping over the moon...

This is 99.99999999999999999% attributable to improper repair procedures...

IMHO

Yuri.

FirstOrbit84

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 2-Door Golf TDI
Another update folks... 3+ years and about 40,000 miles since the repair detailed in this thread, and no issues whatsoever (knock on wood)... :)

Sold the Corrado that I originally picked up as a daily while my TDI was in the shop, 'cause it was costing a lot of $$ to upkeep and I didn't have enough time to enjoy it. :(

rayban776

TDI
bad bolt batch?

Sorry to bring this up from the past, but I've just experienced this same problem of sheared bolt and broken engine tab. The local VW specialty shop where I had the timing belt done about 15,000 miles ago said there was a bad batch of these stretch bolts with green heads.

I haven't been able to find anything about a bad batch. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I don't really believe him, but at the same time I need him to save my engine.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
The local VW specialty shop where I had the timing belt done about 15,000 miles ago said there was a bad batch of these stretch bolts with green heads.
I guess they were defective, because they didn't come with a big red sign telling the mechanic to be sure to torque things to spec...
I don't really believe him, but at the same time I need him to save my engine.
It stinks when you don't have a reliable mechanic handy... In the future I can recommend you drive an hour or so North to Sunbury and have Dennis Marquette ("Metal Man") do your serious work... Right now, I'm not sure I'd trust your present mechanic to attempt this repair... if he messes it up he may wind up saying that there may have been a bad batch of these non-VW-approved Van-Gogh brackets...

Good luck!!

Yuri

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
I drove 930 mi back on 02 for my first TB... WHY Drivebiwire did it right I drove 930 mi home then an other 99k until the next tb OH zero probs. That is why we use GURUS.

GARLAND JETTA TDI

TDI
2000 Jetta
My enging support issue

Wingnut- Hello I do hope things are going good woth your repairs as it seems your having to do more than you had originally planned. I'm new to the TDI Club (hince the Newbie title under my name). I purchased a 2000 Jetta TDI about 2 weeks ago due to all the great stuff I've read online. I seem to have the same set up as you. And would you beleive the same engine support mount had broken and had a broken bolt in the same middle spot as yours. Now this mount being broke allowed me to get the car for a really good price and I like tinkering. Now I managed to drill out the broken bolt after raising the engine back up to the proper level as it has dropped down like your in the 1st picture.

When checking everything I noticed that the rear bolt hole is also broken like yours and I'm curious as to how you went about fabricating and welding a new one on your block?

Also the timing belt had been replaced prior to the failure of the engine support, do you feel the failure could have possibly thrown the timing off?

Lastly what are the new looking hoses coming off your CCV valve? My car does not have those, but rather an elbow coming right out of the CCV into the air intake tube.

Thanks very much in advance for your time.

Last edited:

badger94

TDI
1.9 130 bhp
hi all this exact problem has happened to my bora and i cant afford the bracket or know how to make one i have someone doing a quick job for me with two bolts using lock thread and metal to metal glue and some metal putty for the third bolt as the mounting point has snapped off

question is will it work

badger94

TDI
1.9 130 bhp
as long as it last to be honest ive been told by some it will be great and others no to risk it

Sure... The real question is: "For how long?"

Good luck,

Yuri

PS: in your list of repair components, you left out "Bubble Gum"...