My Engine Mount Problem (with pics)

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
TDI4US said:
Any recommendations on what my next steps should be so I don't end up with big problems?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Yep.:D

Take a drive to Maine to see HermTDI, he's the timing belt expert this upper side of north east. If you can't take the drive see MrChill in Braintree, MA. He's the composite of HermTDI for us on i-90 W/E.

Money is on this:

• Your water pump was not replaced
  • Your torque to yield one time motor mount bolts were reused
  • Your torque to yield one time use on the timing cog was reused
  • Your timing belt tensenor was reused [no-no!]
  • Your running on the pulleys and rollers when you bought the car
  • Your timing is botched a hare
  • Run Forest, RUN!:eek:

FirstOrbit84

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 2-Door Golf TDI
Was this engine mount designed to drop the engine in case of an accident and reduce impact? (like some of the Mercedes)

FirstOrbit84

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 2-Door Golf TDI
even more pics:

Does this look repairable? How should I go about this now that it's going to be coming out of my pocket?

Meanwhile, the new Corrado is running great. :D

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Yup, repairable. Just did one just like it a few days ago.

Use the dimensions on the picture. For the large drilled hole, delete 1/16th inch from the stated distance from the end. You'll still have to adjust the hole a bit with a dremel, just not as much.

Any interest in a kit? I had a local welding shop make them up for me. Would be easy to get all the correct fasteners needed for a kit.

Last edited:

FirstOrbit84

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 2-Door Golf TDI
so, i think i finally found a shop whose going to do this fix for me instead of replacing the block.

paramedick said:
Yup, repairable. Just did one just like it a few days ago.

Use the dimensions on the picture. For the large drilled hole, delete 1/16th inch from the stated distance from the end. You'll still have to adjust the hole a bit with a dremel, just not as much.

Any interest in a kit? I had a local welding shop make them up for me. Would be easy to get all the correct fasteners needed for a kit.
yes i would love a kit. how much do they run? PM sent... and never got reply.

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
PM replied to. Sorry, been sick......

It would take a week or so to get the kits fabbed up. I need to do a final fitting, and then go get the bolts. Looks like the kit price will be ~$40 with bracket, necessary bolts/washers/nuts, and instructions. I have two timing belts this weekend so I can get the final measurements then.

FirstOrbit84

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 2-Door Golf TDI
paramedick said:
Looks like the kit price will be ~$40 with bracket, necessary bolts/washers/nuts, and instructions.
jeez that's a lot better than the 4 hours of labor ($200+) i was quoted to fabricate one

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
paramedick said:
PM replied to. Sorry, been sick......

It would take a week or so to get the kits fabbed up. I need to do a final fitting, and then go get the bolts. Looks like the kit price will be ~$40 with bracket, necessary bolts/washers/nuts, and instructions. I have two timing belts this weekend so I can get the final measurements then.
Great idea. I contacted Metalnerd about making a kit a few years ago when there was a rash of these problems. He aknowledged the e-mail, but I never heard back. But then again, its not a high volume seller, so who could balme him. I'm glad someone is taking the ball and running with this. Great price to BTW.

Last edited:

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black
why did it break, did u not change the mounting bolts? or so much addtions like nozzles and pump give to much torque?

FirstOrbit84

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 2-Door Golf TDI
bowlerman said:
why did it break, did u not change the mounting bolts? or so much addtions like nozzles and pump give to much torque?
No, it was hit from below before i bought the thing and the subframe was clearly replaced. plus i've got injectors and ecu, which i'm sure didn't help. But its back on the road with a fresh TB and the engine mount fix detailed here, along with tensioner, serpentine belt, water pump, oil pan, etc... total cost ~ $2500. The check engine light just came on for some reason, too, but its running great regardless.

I'm letting my aunt drive it mostly though while I enjoy my new corrado G60 that doesn't even get a third of the mileage of my diesel < 12mpg city and < 19mpg hwy :eek:... and it takes 93+ octane...

rowl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, Black
Just a quick update. 2 years and 40,000 miles later. Still holding and my son, an Infantry (0311) U.S. Marine drives it. :)

JELLYBEAN

TDI
bolts for repairing mount

anyone in Canada had any luck locating the required bolts
for engine mount repair? M6 X1.0 AND M7X 1.0
i am having trouble locating in central Alberta.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
It's been such a long time since I did the repair, I can't remember the required sizes. I remember needing to go to an industrial fastener store (I used Brafasco) to get the M7 bolt since its a middle size. But that hole could be drilled and tapped to accomodate a M8 bolt. Those should be easily available from Canadian Tire. As for the M6 bolt, I don't remember that size? I thought the larger bolt that held the bracket from the side was a M8, not am M6? But I could be wrong.

Last edited:

CountryBoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG, 2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-Speed
Wingnut said:
It's been such a long time since I did the repair, I can't remember the required sizes. I remember needing to go to an industrial fastener store (I used Brafasco) to get the M7 bolt since its a middle size. But that hole could be drilled and tapped to accomodate a M8 bolt. Those should be easily available from Canadian Tire. As for the M6 bolt, I don't remember that size? I thought the larger bolt that held the bracket from the side was a M8, not am M6? But I could be wrong.
What length do the bolts need to be?

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
When my engine mount broke, I used triangle that I found laying in my garage drilled holes tighten with bolts to the block. Then put longer bolt in engine mount so I can tighen nut on other side of my custom made bracket and it worked 2.5 years 31,000 miles since and still works.

Yesterday my engine mount bolt shred off the one that goes into block its only 7,000 miles old since TB job. After taking mount off I notice that the reason it broke off is because mount was straight on ends. When fist time mount broke off it bented sides of where bolts go thru, so it wasn't tight to the block and during hard ecceleration engine would have some movement between braket and block.

Before I reinstalled back I took sender and sended ends so they are nice and straight. Installed and works like a charm. I also installed different top engine mount, I think the one from 2.0L enine its much stiffer and has different desight of bushing.

Does anyone know if its safe to use not TDI engine mount?

CountryBoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG, 2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-Speed
Those are the length of the bolts without considering the added width of the bracket, correct?

Wingnut said:
According to ETKA, you need 2 x M10 x 85 and 1 x M10 x 112 (Numbers 13 & 14):

Its a little tough to see clearly, so if you want to view a full sized image, see here:

http://www.fototime.com/137D18A9C716A0C/orig.jpg

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Yes, that is correct. for the #14 at the top, you need to add another 25 - 30mm or so to clear the bracket & room for the extra nut.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Were there certain years that were more prone to this failure?

natureboy68

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS auto
well, i'll bump for more updates...
i have been trying to locate a funky vibration for months now...two days ago it got worse, FUBAR worse or so i thought, i first noticed that is was some motor mount issue, when i looked at the plastic timing belt cover and it was pushed up and not able to clip back on, sure enough, the little ear mount was sheared off. i thought all was lost! but then as always tdiclub comes to the rescue! and dieselgeek comes to the rescue! and overnight shipping too!

http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Categories

so now i wait for the package and my able bodied mechanic will install and all is well again...until murphy comes back to visit...

not sure what could have caused mount to break, no accidents (that i know of, bought the car two years ago, clean carfax), TB done a year ago by a guru, so as long as it can be fixed, i'm a happy camper...

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
Wingnut said:
Thanks for finally making this available to the masses Jim
Yeah - I got tired of making brackets, so I phoned in a request!

FirstOrbit84

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 2-Door Golf TDI
FirstOrbit84 said:
No, it was hit from below before i bought the thing and the subframe was clearly replaced. plus i've got injectors and ecu, which i'm sure didn't help. But its back on the road with a fresh TB and the engine mount fix detailed here, along with tensioner, serpentine belt, water pump, oil pan, etc... total cost ~ $2500. The check engine light just came on for some reason, too, but its running great regardless.

I'm letting my aunt drive it mostly though while I enjoy my new corrado G60 that doesn't even get a third of the mileage of my diesel < 12mpg city and < 19mpg hwy :eek:... and it takes 93+ octane...
just a quick update for everyone following the thread on this problem.. a year and a half later and my TDI is still running stong with the engine mount fabbed as wingnut specified. I even auto-X it once a month and haven't had any problems yet. i even bought an extended warranty up to 100k for when the tranny, a/c, turbo or other major components go.

meanwhile, after the same year and a half, the corrado's G60 needs a rebuild :(... saw that one coming...

no_rs

TDI
02 Jet, 03 Jet wagon
sign me up,

I joined the club last night on the way home. bang, plop, shudder, shudder the rest of the way home (10 miles).
after accessing the situation and what's involved, she's on her way aboard a flatbed to a local stealership.

hope I don't get the $2,500 treatment as mentioned above.

mine has to be caused solely by another stealership not replacing the stretch bolts when they did the tb 40,000 miles ago, even though I requested new bolts. - I'm the original owner, no accidents, no auto-x.

I just hope it didn't take any of the exhaust manifold or turbo pipes with it when it dropped. It got awfully loud after the mishap.

Bill K

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Get it away from the dealer. They will want to replace the block if the ear is broken.

Lots of good folks in NJ that work on TDIs.

no_rs

TDI
02 Jet, 03 Jet wagon
pray tell paramedick, who and where are they?
I would love an alternative to the dealerships.
Bill K

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
no_rs said:
mine has to be caused solely by another stealership not replacing the stretch bolts when they did the tb 40,000 miles ago
The horizontal engine support bolts [holding the support to the block] that most likely caused this are not "stretch" bolts... They usually fail because they were either over or under torqued... (it's the vertical engine mount bolts [the ones that hold the upper engine mount to that lower support] that must be replaced each time they're loosened...

If you're close to Barnegat, NJ, look up UserID "Richieracket"... he knows what he's doing with these... richalberghini at hotmail dot com

Yuri.

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Rich Aberghini----richieracket
Barnegat, NJ
609-698-8765
richalberghini@hotmail.com
pick up and delivery is available if car is no start--(have truck and trailer)----prefer to work in my garage but i can come to you

Martys VW & Audi Service
203 Center St
New Milford, NJ 07646
(201) 261-4244
MAP

Mike Hevner ("Hevster1")
[FONT=&quot]hevster1@yahoo.com
Columbia, NJ
[/FONT]

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
paramedick said:
Rich Aberghini----richieracket
Barnegat, NJ
609-698-8765
I believe that's an old number for Rich... Try 609-713-1414

Mike Hevner, unfortunately for us, has stopped working on TDIs...

Yuri.

no_rs

TDI
02 Jet, 03 Jet wagon
thanks gents
unfortunately, they are both over 60 miles from me.

I'll wait and see what VW says today after they get into it a bit before I commit to a repair.

YMZ - you're right about the horizontal bolts. I could feel one of the horizontal bolts sheared off when I was feeling around up there.

What are the chances that the timing belt jumped a cog or two when this happened. The motor was running very rough and loud afterwards.

thanks
Bill K