My Corrado G60 to AHU swap.

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
1980 Rabbit Pickup (1.6 IDI), 1990 Corrado TDI, 2010 Audi A5
So I'm finally getting to the point in my swap where I've made enough progress that I feel I can report something - and also were I'll start having some questions! I figured I might as well start my own thread and ask questions inside here or post whatever answers I find to my questions, so that other future swappers can use this like I have used other threads!

Down to business:
- Donor is a '98 Jetta TDI with an AHU - picked it up for a decent price with terminal frame rust. Timing belt was done recently
- Recipient is a '90 G60 Corrado - previous engine was blown and replaced but never got running again. The car is on Porsche twists and has a clean red dot interior. Non-sunroof model, its had a respray and the paint is probably 8/10 at the moment
- Goal is to have it running and driving by the end of July, dailyable by the end of August- then my Rabbit Pickup (1.5NA diesel) will get some rest and some work done to it!

Since the engine was recently "replaced" it came out super easily (at the same time I found a ton of things that pissed me off - had I managed to get it running and drive it as it was it would have been extremely dangerous because the idiot kid I bought it from really half assed the install.) The TDI came out of the donor with a little more difficulty since some parts were fairly rusty - I had to cut the power steering line to get it out (so if I can't use the G60 one I'll have to shell out for a new one)

I've amassed a stock of parts and thought I was good to go - turns out the k-frame has a few places rusted through, plus one of the bolts holding in the a-Arm sheared and I've yet to get that out. Passat 1Z wiring harness out of a B4, B4 pedal cluster, B4 dash cluster, SLC subframe. I'm going to use the cone filter that was attached to the g60 and have a good bit of intercooler pipes on hand. Hoping I can stick with the G60 tank and fuel lines - looking at several solutions for that. I had to cut the flex pipe on the TDI to get it out (it was shot anyway with a gaping hole) and I cut the cat out today and will be piecing those back together.

Wiring has been started but I'm taking that slowly and carefully. The heater core has been replaced and I've ordered all new CV joint and tie rod assemblies since they're easy to replace while its already apart!

Onto the pictures, and then my questions!

As it currently sits:

Engine out of the donor:

Pile of parts:

Sorry, no great shots of the car! The garage is a mess right now and cleaning up is on my to do list before I get back to work- probably the 4th!

Alright, questions- in no particular order:
1) Anyone have some nice quick solutions for dealing with rounded out CV joint allen-head bolts? I need to pick up some more vice-grips before going back at that!

2) Anyone have some nice quick soluitons for jammed on CV joint 30mm nuts on the other side? I'm at the point where I'm ready to take the damn thing to a machine shop and have it drilled out!

3) K-frame: Will any Mk3 k-frame work? from the 2.0? Or just a GLX or any other VR6?

4) Anyone have a part number for this line? As you can see there is a hole in it:

5) Specific things I should do to the engine while its out? As you might be able to see from some of the pictures there is a little bit of surface rust or corrosion here and there, I'm thinking I'll try hand sanding and painting what I can with high temperature paint to try and preserve it as long as possible! Suggestions?!

Any input is welcome! I've ready all the corrado swap threads I could find as much as possible and have the sheet G60ing put together on swaps - but I might need just a little bit more help!

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
1) Anyone have some nice quick solutions for dealing with rounded out CV joint allen-head bolts? I need to pick up some more vice-grips before going back at that!

2) Anyone have some nice quick soluitons for jammed on CV joint 30mm nuts on the other side? I'm at the point where I'm ready to take the damn thing to a machine shop and have it drilled out!

3) K-frame: Will any Mk3 k-frame work? from the 2.0? Or just a GLX or any other VR6?

4) Anyone have a part number for this line? As you can see there is a hole in it:

5) Specific things I should do to the engine while its out? As you might be able to see from some of the pictures there is a little bit of surface rust or corrosion here and there, I'm thinking I'll try hand sanding and painting what I can with high temperature paint to try and preserve it as long as possible! Suggestions?!

1) Anyone have some nice quick solutions for dealing with rounded out CV joint allen-head bolts? I need to pick up some more vice-grips before going back at that! Vise Grips is my tool of choice after one of these bolts is stripped

2) Anyone have some nice quick soluitons for jammed on CV joint 30mm nuts on the other side? I'm at the point where I'm ready to take the damn thing to a machine shop and have it drilled out! Impact Gun or a ratchet with a 4 foot jack handle over the end of it for leverage. I usually use a large flat screwdriver in the brake rotor's cooling fins so it can stop the spinning by hitting the caliper carrier. Make certain you have the lug bolts installed. Some people might suggest having somebody stand on the brakes but I usually work solo.

3) K-frame: Will any Mk3 k-frame work? from the 2.0? Or just a GLX or any other VR6? Yes any Mk3 or SLC frame

4) Anyone have a part number for this line? As you can see there is a hole in it:I'll check to see if Vagcat.com is up

5) Specific things I should do to the engine while its out? As you might be able to see from some of the pictures there is a little bit of surface rust or corrosion here and there, I'm thinking I'll try hand sanding and painting what I can with high temperature paint to try and preserve it as long as possible! Suggestions?! Timing Belt and clutch get no easier than now. Waterpump? Make certain the turbo's actuator moves properly (15psi to its vacuum line). Do an oil filter now, you'll see what I mean later.

Is this Ricky's old car (did it ever have an eaton charger on it?)

Where in Vermont are you doing the work?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Here is the line for cars with ABS but it might be the same as without abs, I couldn't find the non-abs line. the ABS Vacuum line for the AHU: 1H1612041J

Oh, btw what year car did your passat harness come from? If it was a 1996 then you will have the same CELs that I had after finishing the swap for the Glowplug monitoring circuit. The 1998 TDI has a different Glowplug circuit than the 1996 Passat and early 1997 passats. The early TDIs had a glowplug relay in the #12 spot on the fusebox and the later TDI's had a divorced Glowplug relay above the fuse box.

If its a 1996 harness it will have provisions for the 5th injector on it. You will want to delete the wiring for the 5th injector and then add the necessary glow plug wiring from the Jetta tdi harness. Then you won't have any CELs. Oh make certain you bypass the security module for the starter wire.

Last edited:

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the input guys.

I'm planning an oil change and will be cleaning the EGR. TB and waterpump were done within 10k before I got the car - I'll be giving everything on the engine another once over once I get it clean up.

I have a few feelers out on vortex for a mk3 k-frame locally and will end up patching the one I have if it comes to it - though I'd rather get one without rust (and subsequent potential structural issues.)

I currently have the whole caliper and rotor off the car and will be trying to clamp it and get that damn thing off - I've put over 400 lbs of pressure on it that I'm aware of - my impact driver didn't do a damn thing. A dremel and impact chisel seem to be my next options after that! Vice grips are next for the CV bolts and I just ordered the set jimbote (thanks!) recommended to have them on hand even if I don't need them.

This is the car we discussed briefly on Vortex back in early March (my username over there is khuygie88 - I think it used to be yours?)I think you posted up that you'd had the k-frame and subframe powdered coated, etc. - they held up quite nicely - I'll look at the G60 when I get home.

Thanks for that line number - I'll look into it a little more now. I'm not entirely sure what year the harness came out of - I'm about 70% certain it was a '97 - I'll take a look at the fuse box again later today - I was actually wondering if using the AHU glow plug harness will work with the 1Z engine harness? The glowplug harness that came off the 1Z is shot. Wiring is on the back burner for now until I get this mechanical stuff sorted and the battery tray patched up - but all these little tid bits are super helpful so I can remember them when I get around to it!

I'm actually in RI - I should take the VT out of my location - I'm from VT, did school in RI and landed a decent job here (which is funding the project) and a house with a 2 car garage. Building up my tool collection as I work is basically matching my spending on car parts $ for $ - so that is slowing progress. I just got my hands on my old man's MIG welder last weekend, so hopefully I'll be able to hang on to that until I get this project finished up! I'm going to start working in the evening as much as possible- the heat we've been having here is killing me so that seems to waste my days off!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That explains why the car looks so familiar. Steven, the guy I sold it to fixed the dent in the PS rear arch and put the Porsche wheels. Being my car explains a why the engine bay is so clean. are you selling g60 transmission and g60 shifter and shift cables? I had tried Por-15 on the battery tray about 14years ago.

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Its a beauty- and yeah, the engine bay is extremely clean for a 22 year old car!

I haven't looked into selling anything yet but I probably will - I think it was mentioned in the FS thread for the car that it was a VR6 transmission with a TDI 5th gear. I've looked into the gear ratios but can't make up my mind about which to use! The shifter and shift cables should be fine - short shift cables, right?! You told me too much is the FS thread! I can't wait to get this thing on the road with the TDI - its clear that it has been well taken care of in the past, at least until the kid who had it before me got it!

Ordered tie rods and a new power steering hydraulic line today, going to try and clean the engine a

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah the transmission has a 3.6 r&p from a g60, vr6 1-4 and a .756 5th.

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Good to know. I'll probably stick with the O2A CTN for the time being then since the ratio's seem favorable to the TDI (from what I've read, correct me if I'm wrong)- if the transmission that came out of it had a .681 I would look into swapping that though.

I didn't get around to pulling out the harness tonight to check that out but I'm hoping to do that by the weekend. Cleaned the engine up a bit and got a few CV bolts turning before I gave up to the heat. Got a talking to from the girlfriend because the engine hoist is in the way of getting to the washer :D I told her if she'd let me put the ugly donor outside I'd have plenty of space to push the engine back into the garage... c'est la vie.

Looks like I'll be trying the welder tomorrow night or Wednesday to patch up the battery tray - I've mocked up the raised tray that came out of the Jetta and I'm thinking about trying that on top after I get the battery tray fixed up - from the swap photos I've seen there should be plenty of space.

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That g60 engine harness should fetch a good price since it was purchased new from the dealer around 1999. It has less heat cycles on it even more so because it has low miles.

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
No pictures from the work this past weekend. My internet has been down and I'm stealing the neighbor's spotty wifi until I can get mine working again.

The 4th was productive in that I cleaned the garage, got all of my tools reorganized, pushed the jetta further back into the garage and got the engine onto a waist high stand. A lot more room to work and think! Did a little cleaning on the engine, went to the beach and got shanked by a lobster trap - 2", stright into my ankle. Good thing I've checked to see if I'm up to date on my tetanus, right?! :D

Got the rust welded up Sunday morning and got the CV joint out of the hub/brake assembly- boy was that a *****. I ended up drilling into the nut/along the threads, widening that hole with a pointed chisel, and then turning the nut off with another chisel, chasing the damn hole around and around going counter clockwise. Good lord. Went to put the assembly back on the strut tower and snapped a brake line - its the line from the hose to the piston that curls over on itself (kind of) - the caliper number is CN2 2092/5 - the only name I can find for it is on some russian website for Seat and they call it "brake hose from brake line to piston" It looks like this but different, it loops- any ideas on a real part number or supplier? I need to get Etka or a find a good website with an online catalog (a link to one of those would be great too - vagcat will simply not work for me)

Also finally got the pedal assembly fully installed and hooked up to the respective connections (except the DBW since the wiring is a work in progress). Airbox is going back in with the new heater core and I'll be mounting the sound dampening pad ontop of that that I pulled from the Jetta. Also looking into mounting the ECU- from what I've read one part of the ECU mount is a ground?

There is a coolant pipe that is rusty on the engine (like, blisters rust) and surface rust on the oil pan. I'm going to clean those up and paint them, swap off the power steering line and clean the EGR. I should be picking up a new subframe assembly this week even though I just need the k-frame.

G60ing, do you have contact information (or even a forum name, here vortex or otherwise) for the guy you sold the car to? I have a few questions about the wheels and adapters he used on them and the kid he (may have) sold it to, don't know what generation owner I got it from.

whoabeats

TDI
98 RIP, 00 chugging along
Hey if I knew you need a power steering hose I could have probably brought that with the k frame. :D

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Well now you say so :D

It's alright, I already dropped the cash on a new one. Still need to get that line g60ing got me a part number for, and find out what that damn brake hose to piston is.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, and btw you are the 4th own

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is the line for cars with ABS but it might be the same as without abs, I couldn't find the non-abs line. the ABS Vacuum line for the AHU: 1H1612041J
Well now you say so :D

It's alright, I already dropped the cash on a new one. Still need to get that line g60ing got me a part number for, and find out what that damn brake hose to piston is.
Alright. Finally getting back to this since it was on the top of my mind- Looks like I'll need to order that line because it will hook into the master cylinder in the same spot on my corrado. I need to find that brake line first, found it on vagcat.. no part number though.

Looking at some wiring stuff later tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited:

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, and btw you are the 4th own
Did you buy it used? If so I guess that would be 5th even though it seems the kid I bought it from never transferred the title to his name... I guess I won't either or I won't get one back.

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Pulled the exhaust manifold and EGR and started cleaning them. I'll be going to a pay and spray car wash tomorrow to finish it off.

Got the k-frame cleaned up and I'm going to get that painted tomorrow. Considering having it powder coated just because the k-frame/subframe/rad support that came off were in such outstanding condition- but I want to get this thing in there!

Probably going to mimick PRA4WX's fuel line setup:

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
Ok. what am I missing here. I don't get the fuel line setup and the necessity to loop the supply and returns. From my count there are eleven connections between the filter and the supply/return lines on the body. Way too many chances to suck air. The tee on the filter is bad enough, but I have always subscribed to the kiss principal.
I am along with others I know going the opposite direction and ditching the factory type filter in favor of Racor filter with single line in and out, and 2 micron rating.

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
Ok. what am I missing here. I don't get the fuel line setup and the necessity to loop the supply and returns. From my count there are eleven connections between the filter and the supply/return lines on the body. Way too many chances to suck air. The tee on the filter is bad enough, but I have always subscribed to the kiss principal.
I am along with others I know going the opposite direction and ditching the factory type filter in favor of Racor filter with single line in and out, and 2 micron rating.
Are you using a gasser lift pump? I am. It's slightly on the high side of the supply pressure spectrum. Looping offers a very inexpensive supply pressure step down. This is particularly significant to those using the corrado fuel tank with no readily available (TMK) diesel lift pump solutions.

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you using a gasser lift pump? I am. It's slightly on the high side of the supply pressure spectrum. Looping offers a very inexpensive supply pressure step down. This is particularly significant to those using the corrado fuel tank with no readily available (TMK) diesel lift pump solutions.
That was my take- I got 2 5/16" barb's and was going to make a bit more of an H than PRA4WX's. I'm actually currently beating my head against the wall. I have the early 90's Corrado (build date 9/89) which I'm pretty sure was the last month of the 2 fuel pump weirdness in the G60's. I'm trying to drain the tank by running the pump (6 Pin connector M- by energizing the red/yellow wire- I can hear the pump turn on but I'm not getting any fuel out of the lines - I thinkthis has something to do with the 2 pump setup but my Bently is (literally) in about 20 pieces due to how I inherited it and I can't find any information online.

Suggestions?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wouldn't recommend the H-valve between the return and feed lines, been there done that. The fuel pump will die at some point and may even leave you stranded like it did to me a couple years ago.

Its a one pump car, its right after the vin cut off by about a 200 or so IIRC.

I would recommend a Holley by-pass FPR or just use the mk3 TDI fuel sending unit.

The reason why it won't pump fuel is because it needs two hoses connected to the fuel pump and then it will pump fuel out of both. I typically do this from the trunk area with about two pieces of rubber hose being 4'-6' feet long.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sounds like you got my old Bentley. They gave me a new copy because it split in half

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
I wouldn't recommend the H-valve between the return and feed lines, been there done that. The fuel pump will die at some point and may even leave you stranded like it did to me a couple years ago.

Its a one pump car, its right after the vin cut off by about a 200 or so IIRC.

I would recommend a Holley by-pass FPR or just use the mk3 TDI fuel sending unit.

The reason why it won't pump fuel is because it needs two hoses connected to the fuel pump and then it will pump fuel out of both. I typically do this from the trunk area with about two pieces of rubber hose being 4'-6' feet long.
Damn, you're a wealth of knowledge - thanks! Interesting - if I reconnected the one I took off the filter, would it pump to the front? If not I'm visualizing this wrong and I'll just have to get into it from the back, which was my next step.

I'll post updates a little later. Going to eat dinner and then go to the beach to hang out in the dusk with the pup. And I'll be looking into the fuel pump regulator.

Sounds like you got my old Bentley. They gave me a new copy because it split in half
Well the price was right, as a hand me down, so I can only complain a little :D

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Steven, the guy who bought it from me should be in contact with you.

I always went out the trunk with the fuel lines to so turning the fuel pump on and off would be easier and I wouldn't over fill the can I was filling up. I don't see why you couldn't connect the fuel line and use the car's fuel lines.

PRA4WX

Veteran Member
TDI
1Zzzzzzzz
I should add to my thread that i don't have a stock fuel pump in the tank of my car associated with the fuel return setup that you have pictured. I'm using a pretty hardy Bosch pump that i claim no personal experience yet with use in diesel fuel, others have historically w/o issue. I shall see though. :cool:

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Steven, the guy who bought it from me should be in contact with you.

I always went out the trunk with the fuel lines to so turning the fuel pump on and off would be easier and I wouldn't over fill the can I was filling up. I don't see why you couldn't connect the fuel line and use the car's fuel lines.
He PM'd me yesterday- I'm going to give him a call later, thanks!

I should add to my thread that i don't have a stock fuel pump in the tank of my car associated with the fuel return setup that you have pictured. I'm using a pretty hardy Bosch pump that i claim no personal experience yet with use in diesel fuel, others have historically w/o issue. I shall see though. :cool:
Okay, I'm going to keep looking into how to do the fuel. Thanks both for the input.

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
So yesterday I got the new k-frame I picked up cleaned and painted. Here is a picture of why I didn't use the old one

I cut the gasser cat off of the Corrado- the Jetta cat is okay but not great, so I'll start by using it. The flex pipe in the TDI down pipe had a massive hole in it before I removed the engine, so I just cut it to get the engine out- I'll be picking up a new flex pipe for that shortly. The rest of the exhaust actually has no muffler, so I just need to put an end pipe out of the back.

While I was under the car I noticed these:

Round and a few square holes in the floor that go straight through to the interior - they look like a failed jack stand holding up a place where it shouldn't be holding up, but one of them had tabs on the corner. I'm going to have to fix them or else I'm afraid water will come and go as it pleases, but I'll have to get back to that.

Took a couple hours to clean the EGR. The pay and spray car wash where I took the thing had pretty ****ty pressure, but it did dislodge several chunks the size of dice or bigger. I poked out a few more when I got home, then took some heavy duty oven cleaner to it

An idea of some of the nuts I'm having to work with - if I hasn't gotten some of those Irwin rounded bolt removers from the first page there would have been a few times when I would have been SOL.

Fortunately I had no reason to remove this

Edit: wrong pic, I'll reupload it later

The water pipe was rusted and bubbling in places- I sanded it down with my dremel and hit it with some high temperature enamel. One spot on the pipe felt a little thin after the sanding, so I might order one or pick one up in a part out just to have it on hand.

A few other odds and ends jobs got finished. I had a hand for a few minutes so I finally got the heater box positioned well and bolted in (its so much easier when you have some to tell you to push left or right.) I put the Jetta engine mat on the firewall with a bit of customization and installed the brackets to hold the brake line going past there. Picked up one of those little DIY brake lines which I'll be putting on when I put the k-frame in today.

Last edited:

EcoBill

Veteran Member
TDI
89 Jetta 1.6 Diesel, 82 Rabbit truck
hey, Im doing an AHU in my 89 Jetta...after looking at your EGR, I guess thats one more thing I should check while its out. That looks pretty nasty.

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
hey, Im doing an AHU in my 89 Jetta...after looking at your EGR, I guess thats one more thing I should check while its out. That looks pretty nasty.
Only reason I even thought to remove mine was because the tar/soot/slime was oozing down the back of the engine- I looked more into it and learned it was something that should be done everynow and again, removed it and :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: It was nasty and not something that I'd look forward to doing again, but I'm glad I did it. FYI the allen head bolts for the manifold are 8-1.25 x 45mm and were not too easy to find (at least around here on a Saturday- I'm ordering some from Fastenel on Monday) so if you're like me and like to replace allen head bolts with questionable history (read - starting to round out) you may want to order some in advance.

Got the tie-rods replaced. Waiting to hear back on a steering linkage boot- googled the part number and the first hit is a vortex thread g60ing participated in - man, where aren't you?!

Going to the beach before it rains :D

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is that the old G60 k-Frame or the TDI's K-Frame? I had power coated the G60's K-Frame back in 1998.

the coolant pipe that wraps around the block is $40-$50