My buyback fiasco today (long story)

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I put my buy back off to allow others try it out first and to get a replacement before getting rid of my TDI. Before anyone says anything, I know not everyone can do that. I was lucky I could.

I know about the check deal so I picked the money transfer. I knew because I read here. I will agree that people should not have to read an enthusiasts site to know what was what.

There is no reason they can't just cut a check no matter what the figure is.

But it is what it is. If I had to get my money before replacing my car it would have been pretty stressful.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
hntwhitetail,

Keep in mind that VW is forbidden by the agreement from any action that would imply that the buyback was contingent on the purchase of a VW vehicle. Given that prohibition, I can understand a dealer being hesitant to link a purchase too closely with the buyback. To someone scrutinizing the records from arms length, that might create an appearance of impropriety on their part.
If I was a VW dealer I would stretch to keep people in one of my products. I know what they are getting and that they are getting it. If I had to hold a check for a few days, I would do it. If I had to send them home in a loaner for a couple days, I would do it.

I sold cars for 10 years. I worked on commission. Damn if I'm going to let someone walk knowing they were getting $10-$30k from VW.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
There is no reason they can't just cut a check no matter what the figure is.
No doubt that's because they don't want hundreds of relatively-unvetted buyback reps to be able to write checks on their account. That much is quite sensible, IMO. The fact that they refuse to follow the agreement by taking a car and cutting a check in the correct amount within three days, not so much.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
No doubt that's because they don't want hundreds of relatively-unvetted buyback reps to be able to write checks on their account. That much is quite sensible, IMO. The fact that they refuse to follow the agreement by taking a car and cutting a check in the correct amount within three days, not so much.
In whatever form they should have figured something out.

Tenebrae

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI Premium with Nav TURNED IN 03/10/2017
The fact that they refuse to follow the agreement by taking a car and cutting a check in the correct amount within three days, not so much.
Exactly this.
And I truly hope that all inconvenienced by this contact Class Counsel and let them know!

-T.

Jogglebot

TDI
MK6 TDI
Same issue I had back in January. Just read through the pamphlet they mailed months ago.

Read page 9, right at the top under the Check Option table:

"Check given at time of Buyback:

Unless a negative mileage adjustment is required (if you went over the estimated mileage resulting in a reduced payment). In this case, a check will be mailed within three (3) banking days of the Buyback."

Maybe something changed or I can't interpret anything, but it sounds like a check should have been mailed later on.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
Maybe something changed or I can't interpret anything, but it sounds like a check should have been mailed later on.
You're right, that was the original language. It changed in all the post-July official literature, but I don't know what the language was in the settlement that allowed it to change.

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
If I was a VW dealer I would stretch to keep people in one of my products. I know what they are getting and that they are getting it. If I had to hold a check for a few days, I would do it. If I had to send them home in a loaner for a couple days, I would do it.

I sold cars for 10 years. I worked on commission. Damn if I'm going to let someone walk knowing they were getting $10-$30k from VW.
Beyond hosting the transaction, the dealer has zero involvement in the buyback process, and does not have access to the checks to hold one or look at buyback amounts.

Jogglebot

TDI
MK6 TDI
You're right, that was the original language. It changed in all the post-July official literature, but I don't know what the language was in the settlement that allowed it to change.
I perused the newer stuff, but didn't see anything when I did my original buyback date. Too many documents to keep track of. Oh well, switched to EFT and I'm heading back today.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
I perused the newer stuff, but didn't see anything when I did my original buyback date. Too many documents to keep track of. Oh well, switched to EFT and I'm heading back today.
The new language is at the top of the buyback checklist, which is presented available at the last step of the portal, too late in the process to change anything online (though I believe one could call and switch to EFT, except the owner will probably have not idea what their mileage "cap" is).

Reminder: The final payment to you will depend on the mileage on your vehicle at the time of the appointment. If, on the day of your appointment, your mileage is in excess of the range expected based on the mileage you have entered, and you chose to be paid by check, the appointment could be rescheduled so that a new check can be processed with the adjusted amount.
It's also hidden in the FAQ hosted at vwcourtsettlement.com under "Claims Process" > "When will I receive my Settlement payment for my Buyback, Early Lease Termination or Approved Emissions Modification?"

If you choose payment by check and at the time of your Buyback your vehicle is subject to a negative mileage adjustment (in other words, your vehicle mileage at the time of your Buyback transaction is above the mileage range that you entered into the Online Claims Portal), your transaction cannot be completed and you will need to reschedule your appointment, which you may do so via the Online Claims Portal or by calling 1-844-98-CLAIM.
I'm guessing it's noted elsewhere, though I can think of a few places it's NOT but SHOULD be -- places where most owners might see it and have an opportunity to verify they're not in danger of hitting their head and/or adjusting either their turn-in mileage estimate or payment preference. But so it rolls...

Ares

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE
The new language is at the top of the buyback checklist, which is presented available at the last step of the portal, too late in the process to change anything online (though I believe one could call and switch to EFT, except the owner will probably have not idea what their mileage "cap" is).
It's also hidden in the FAQ hosted at vwcourtsettlement.com under "Claims Process" > "When will I receive my Settlement payment for my Buyback, Early Lease Termination or Approved Emissions Modification?"
I'm guessing it's noted elsewhere, though I can think of a few places it's NOT but SHOULD be -- places where most owners might see it and have an opportunity to verify they're not in danger of hitting their head and/or adjusting either their turn-in mileage estimate or payment preference. But so it rolls...
It is deceptive to be inconsistent across the documentation. The buyback checklist is ambiguous on the mileage:

the appointment could be rescheduled

The FAQ is explicit:

your transaction cannot be completed and you will need to reschedule

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
I won't argue that point.

Despite the process proceeding relatively undramatically, VW has many areas for improvement. Thankfully this isn't a "practice makes perfect" type situation.