My Beetle Died in the Highway

TDI
1999 5 Speed Beetle with 1.9 ALH Motor
I have a 1999 Volkswagen Beetle 5 speed with an ALH motor. I was driving on the highway yesterday when I felt a little shake like I had just turned off the key, and then had no more power. Pulled over to the side and waited for a tow home. Engine turns over but it is like it not getting any fuel. I just replaced the 109 Relay and it still wont start. Not sure at this point if it is a blocked fuel filter or the worst case scenario that timing belt snapped. I am new to diesel ownership so not sure where to go from here. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Check the timing belt, get a 19mm 12 point socket and turn the engine over by hand using the crankshaft bolt. Remove the upper timing belt cover so you can see the belt put some kind of mark on the belt and then turn the engine by hand until the mark reappears. You're looking for missing/destroyed teeth.

Is the new 109 relay grey in color?

Here is the no start thread.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Also have you been able to scan the car for any possible codes?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Wouldn't the engine make some very noticeable ugly noises if the pistons and valves met at 2000 RPM?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Wouldn't the engine make some very noticeable ugly noises if the pistons and valves met at 2000 RPM?

When I lost 19 teeth on my belt there really wasn’t any additional noise. The engine just quit and wound not restart.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Nope.
As most report just a slight "shudder" and power loss as the engine quits much like turning off the key.
The impact on the valves is light comparatively as it doesn't take much to damage them and punch the lifter(s). Typically just the exhaust valves get whacked until things become catastrophic.
The OP should not attempt to crank/start the engine until a TB "event" has been verified or given the all clear.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Nope.
As most report just a slight "shudder" and power loss as the engine quits much like turning off the key.
The impact on the valves is light comparatively as it doesn't take much to damage them and punch the lifter(s). Typically just the exhaust valves get whacked until things become catastrophic.
The OP should not attempt to crank/start the engine until a TB "event" has been verified or given the all clear.
It's already too late for that.
  • The engine was still spinning the moment it died on the highway. Unless you are Superman and faster than a speeding bullet, it is impossible to get the engine completely stopped in time before the first valve and piston contact occurs.
  • The OP already tried starting it without success and said it was acting like it's out of fuel.

Sorry to hear. Hopefully it's something simple and the OP doesn't find a big repair bill inside the engine.