My B4 ProVent install.

4x4toy

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat sedan
Install is not complete, need to make a few adjustments. Paint the bracket. I also want to fabricate a new turbo inlet pipe so I can have the same style connection as the valve cover. TIP is also cracked down low so it needs a new one anyway, so why not make one. Have a bunch of pictures on my Droid of the valve cover modification, can't seem to download those off my phone. Also made a block off plate out of aluminum to block off the lower CCV port on the the block.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I like that! In particular, the valve cover mod.

What did you do about the CCV port on the block? Is it just a blank off?

Nice work and a clean install!

Tony

4x4toy

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat sedan
Made my own block off plate, Dealer wanted close to 50 bucks for a steel one. Made one from 1/4" thick aluminum plate. Forgot to take picture, will take one and post it.

NextExit

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen
Seal off the bottom end?

Made my own block off plate, Dealer wanted close to 50 bucks for a steel one. Made one from 1/4" thick aluminum plate. Forgot to take picture, will take one and post it.
Excuse me, is that wise? Isn't there blow-by past the rings? Where does it go now?

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
Looks good but one small question...

What is a Provent system?

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
NextExit, that is also my concern, but only because of my heavily modified engine. I wanted to release crank case pressure so I kept that ccv tube in place. On a stock or close to stock engine, it will not be an issue to use that block off plate.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I am more concerned about oil efficiently returning to the crankcase without the vent. Meaning, in some cases (not sure how frequently), there may be too much oil in the head that has an issue returning to the crankcase without pressure/air equalization.

Tony

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
I had a Provent on one of my B4s. I ran the hoses along the backside of the engine so they were short but still allowed the engine cover to be fitted. I retained the original CCV configuration. I also plumbed the Provent drain line, which entered the crankcase through a check valve fitting intalled in the banjo bolt for the turbo drain line.

It all worked and fit nicely but I ended up removing it. I found the difference in oil consumption with the Provent was only 1000 mi./qt. (6500 vs. 5500). The Provent had a major packaging advantage over the Racor CCV filter I used on my other B4, but it still took up too much valuable real estate for my liking.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
NextExit, that is also my concern, but only because of my heavily modified engine. I wanted to release crank case pressure so I kept that ccv tube in place. On a stock or close to stock engine, it will not be an issue to use that block off plate.

I ran a blockoff plate on a reasonably modified engine and had no issues. but I'm back to the stock CCV, doesn't hurt to have extra venting.
I can't say for sure if its needed or not. My engine didn't blow up though.

You could add a fitting to that blockoff plate and run a hose to a T into the inlet of the provent.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Blocking off the crankcase vent/drain port makes no difference with a Provent because the filter coalesces 100% of the oil mist no matter what, but it does make a difference with an unfiltered stock CCV arrangement. Blocking the lower port increases blowby gas velcocity through the CCV system which allows more oil mist to remain in suspension and be carried through the intake tract. That primary funtion of that port is as a vent; draining is secondary.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Blocking the bottom vent means that all the gasses have to go up through the head and out rather than just straight out. Newer blocks have bigger passages for the gasses to vent to the head. They're quite a bit smaller on an AHU/1Z

apaustin

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat wagon, 96 B4V, 95 glx v6/96 tdi conversion, 97 b4v
I echo Schultp's question; what is a provent and what does it do? If I knew once upon a time, I forgot.

4x4toy

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat sedan
It is a oil/air separator, I used it to catch the oil vapors from my crank case vent before the crankcase air is returned to the intake. Idparts sells them.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I like how it looks but I'm with Chris on this one, the real estate taken is too great to justify.

tim1

TDI
passat 1996
I have one also and used copper tubing fittings solder together and that blue heater hose for my connectors. Seems to always have a little oil in there when I change oil. I think it works as intended, good feed back from folk who use them. Kinda spendy, but what isn't on our cars. Tim

4x4toy

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat sedan
I have heard a few comments on the "real estate" that the filter takes up. My question is, not being a smart a$$ here, what else would you put there? It was an open space and I used it.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, my comment about real estate was regarding the Racor CCV filter, which is huge, not the Provent. I've had both and the Provent is fine where you (and I) have/had it. The Racor is meant for the wide open spaces of a truck bay, not a VW. I made it fit, but it was not happy.

reddtekk

TDI
1996 Passat TDI
ProVent 100

ProVent 100 en route for my B4. It is far smaller, a bit cheaper and is rated up to 100kw. With the only power mod being a shade larger injectors on the ol' girl, I'm sure that mine is well within that range.

My reason for installing one is not to keep me from having to drain a tbsp. of oil from my charged air cooler every 10k miles - it's to keep from having issues with the N75 valve getting loaded with the gook getting past my spanked rod bearings that's being forced out by what gets past my aging piston rings. Essentially, I'm trying to defer an engine overhaul to a more convenient time.

Your install (4x4toy) is VERY clean, so from that aspect I say mission accomplished. I plan on two minor differences for my install:

1. I used that spot to install an NTZ ATF-09 bypass filter so I might have to find another spot for it. It may be small enough to fit though, so we'll see once I have it in my hands.

2. I will probably use the block-off plate (which I made a long time ago to repair my broken vent tube, so mine is thicker and threaded 1/2" NPT) to connect the oil drain-back from the ProVent.

I'll be sure to post photos.

Of the folks running CCV filters on AHU/1Z engines, have any of you had issues with your N75 valves getting gunked up after this modification?

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 210k miles
1 year report. Zero issues.
Trying this mod in my A3 Jetta TDI. I have what seems like A LOT of oil getting into my air system. Both into the turbo and into the intake manifold. I have done an EGR delete however thinking that would help but still worried about too much oil. Could I have leaking seals?

Do you have specifices for size fittings and hoses you used? Or is there a kit available anywhere?

Last edited:

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Trying this mod in my A3 Jetta TDI. I have what seems like A LOT of oil getting into my air system. Both into the turbo and into the intake manifold. I have done an EGR delete however thinking that would help but still worried about too much oil. Could I have leaking seals?

Do you have specifices for size fittings and hoses you used? Or is there a kit available anywhere?
when I had excessive oil in the intake tract, it was a dying turbo. No amount of venting will help that unfortunately.

Coldlogik

TDI
97 Passat TDI

Where did you get your EGR delete kit? I have been looking for one for my 97 Passat TDI.

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
when I had excessive oil in the intake tract, it was a dying turbo. No amount of venting will help that unfortunately.
I have a brand new turbo.

Where did you get your EGR delete kit? I have been looking for one for my 97 Passat TDI.

Coldlogik

TDI
97 Passat TDI
I have a brand new turbo.

350 for that?! Holy moly that seems expensive for a small piece of pipe.

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
350 for that?! Holy moly that seems expensive for a small piece of pipe.
It includes the PD150 intake manifold. If you don't want that, I think they have another item with just the EGR delete kit.