My B4 ProVent install.

Coldlogik

TDI
97 Passat TDI
It includes the PD150 intake manifold. If you don't want that, I think they have another item with just the EGR delete kit.
Oh that makes ALOT more sense to me now haha. Yeah the delete should be like 50 bucks tops. Whats special about the PD150 intake?

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 210k miles
Oh that makes ALOT more sense to me now haha. Yeah the delete should be like 50 bucks tops. Whats special about the PD150 intake?
It flows more air than stock at least for my AHU engine. Not sure if yours would see an improvement. Need to research it. My stock intake was VERY VERY dirty so I opted to just upgrade to the bigger manifold and skip the cleaning process.

Coldlogik

TDI
97 Passat TDI
It flows more air than stock at least for my AHU engine. Not sure if yours would see an improvement. Need to research it. My stock intake was VERY VERY dirty so I opted to just upgrade to the bigger manifold and skip the cleaning process.
I have a 97 passat tdi, how do I know if its AHU or 1Z?

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a 97 passat tdi, how do I know if its AHU or 1Z?
I believe the differences between these egines types are small. You likely would see an improvement with the PD150 manifold especially if you are planning or have done further upgrades to the engine, or if your current manifold is dirty. I didn't want to fuss with the mess of cleaning it personally so why not a bigger intake? By itself the pd150 wont increase power unless your stock one is dirty, but IT WILL support a tuned engine to flow more air. These cars can get 150hp+ with injectors, chip tuning, and new turbo. The bigger intake helps to support the added power from those mods.

You could also have a chat with the seller of the kit via email or phone to get more info on the PD150 intake.

Last edited:

Coldlogik

TDI
97 Passat TDI
I looked online you could find your engine code on the vehicle identification sticker inside the owners manual. Luckily mine was in the trunk, popped it open and sure enough it says 1Z. So question about that. Are AHU parts compatible with 1Z? That manifold part says A3/AHU. If I bought it what are the odds it fits?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
1Z is a save bet.

PD intake will fit. Running one on my 96 1Z.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You’ll get a cel if you don’t tune out the EGR. Personally, I’d keep the EGR. I noticed a difference in how quickly my B4s would warm up. One had a delete, the other didn’t.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ummmm…. I think you need to do a bit more research. Not sure how you run an intake w/o an EGR and keep the EGR…

-Todd

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
I looked online you could find your engine code on the vehicle identification sticker inside the owners manual. Luckily mine was in the trunk, popped it open and sure enough it says 1Z.
Every 98 Jetta's trunk sticker says 1Z, when we all have AHU. But in your case, the sticker is correct.

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
The PD150 definitely fits the 1Z. Says so in the description.

on my car the stock intake was built into the EGR, so to delete it, I had to get the PD150 which is separate and bolts onto the race pipe.

Deleting the EGR has some drawbacks, the main one being slower warm up times which equates to worse average fuel economy, more emissions, etc. I can attest to that. In the summer it's not noticeable but in the winter sometimes I kick myself for deleting it.

That said, I think the advantages outweigh the negatives, at least if you live in a warmer climate. Read the article I linked to and do your own research!

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
The PD150 definitely fits the 1Z. Says so in the description.

on my car the stock intake was built into the EGR, so to delete it, I had to get the PD150 which is separate and bolts onto the race pipe.

Deleting the EGR has some drawbacks, the main one being slower warm up times which equates to worse average fuel economy, more emissions, etc. I can attest to that. In the summer it's not noticeable but in the winter sometimes I kick myself for deleting it.

That said, I think the advantages outweigh the negatives, at least if you live in a warmer climate. Read the article I linked to and do your own research!
Frost heater. Best $200 I spent on this car. :cool:

Reactions: Rig

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, but that requires you to plug it in. Great for the first start, but unless you have outlets at every stop, it’s worthless.

Not knocking the system. I ran 1500w knockoffs on my B4s. Worked great but it still requires a 2 hour run time, to be hot.

-Todd

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, but that requires you to plug it in. Great for the first start, but unless you have outlets at every stop, it’s worthless.
Hm, still something to consider. 90% of the time I probably wouldn't need it, but the times I do I would be very glad I installed it. I wonder if there is a way to rig this to a secondary battery or something so all I would have to do is turn the ignition halfway to activate the system. Like SUPER GLOW PLUGS! Failing that, just a switch in the car. Or perhaps just get an oversized battery and pull the power directly from that? Has to be a way.

I really derailed this thread. We went from catchcans to block heaters... I think the author of the thread isn't active anymore. I think from the pictures though I can figure out how he did it and just trial and error on the threads and hoses. The guys at autozone are going to love me, lol

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Webasto… search it.

Frost heaters are tank heaters, not block heaters. Similar but different.

-Todd

Reactions: Rig