My 'anniversary': 10 years of biodiesel

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
It's 10 years since Sunday, October 28, 2001, the date of my first biodiesel purchase.

Petro diesel was between $1.249 and $1.619 per gallon in the weeks leading up to that date. That homebrewed B100 was $2.40 a gallon, or 67% MORE per gallon. It was worth it then.

Petrodiesel is now between $3.759 and $3.999. ASTM B99 is $3.659 or 6% LESS per gallon. It's even more worthwhile now.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Congrats! Can you tell me more about your bio source, specifically feedstock? I saw somewhere that you were getting amazing fuel economy. I have noticed a significant hit on biodiesel--about 37 mpg mixed driving. I have gotten as high as 47-50 on B50 or less. I'm trying to troubleshoot.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Hmmmm I guess the Sonett was lonely last weekend Huh JB.

Ahhhh with the Caterham & the V4 you were a gasser weekend!!!

You saving Bio for snow plowing tonight?

jimtuul

TDI
2006 duramax, 2004 Golf
6 years ago my father and I had a generator running on our first batch of bio. We ran the generator for power and heat for the house. We wanted to make sure our fuel was good enough before we put it in any equipment. He started running it in his heavy equipment the next spring. We bought a couple duramax's that summer. I don't even want to guess how much we have made.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Congrats!

Next March is my 10 year anniversary. For me it is 170,000 miles on B100.
Congrats to you both.

My first 1000L order is arriving next week :) Gonna be too cold for running it pure for the next while though...

Do your Passats have the PD engine?

Last edited:

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Congrats Jonathan. You are indeed one of the true bioneers that have helped move the nation towards a more safe, sane, and sustainable personal transporation system. My hat is off to you sir.

I wish I could recall the date, some 12 years ago, when we began our journey towards that same goal, but I can't. I do, however, clearly remember filling the tank of the old F250 for the first time, and always will.

Remember those days here, back when some thought us crazy and there was little discussion, all taking place under the plain old Fuel section? doesn't seem so long ago. The good old days, indeed.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Hmmmm I guess the Sonett was lonely last weekend Huh JB?
You saving Bio for snow plowing tonight?
Sonett?! The fuel pump died! Not enough lubricity apparently.;)
I'm holding off on the conversion from lawn and leaf removal to snow removal for a bit longer. I may have to fire up the gasoline walk-behind for driveway clean-up on Sunday.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Congrats! Can you tell me more about your bio source, specifically feedstock? I saw somewhere that you were getting amazing fuel economy. I have noticed a significant hit on biodiesel--about 37 mpg mixed driving. I have gotten as high as 47-50 on B50 or less. I'm trying to troubleshoot.
My fuel is now coming from
http://www.newportbiodiesel.com/
by way of
http://www.thmalloyandsonsfuel.com/retail_pumps.html

I haven't noticed a mpg reduction. My first sedan (petro only) averaged 52.5 mpg during my ownership. My second sedan was about half petro (more than 10 years ago) and then quite a lot of bio (less than 10 years ago) and I had a 52 mpg lifetime average in it.
From then on I have no comparison as all my TDI since then have been predominantly on bio.
F.W.I.W.: My '05 PD wagon is averaging about 36.

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
96TDI Passat, 1.6 81d caddy, 86d golf, 82d rabbit, 81ALH caddy, 82 Westy
Congrats Lug_Nut on your accomplishment! Its great to see others using Bio also. Its been almost 5 yrs since I started using it in the V-dubs and trucks and tractors. Its rewarding knowing that we all are using such a great renewable product. Hats off to you sir!

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Thanks, Lugnut. Looks very comparable to the place our coop is getting it, New Leaf Biofuels. They seem reputable. I also need to check out my timing in VCDS to make sure everything is on. Do you or any other users here have recommendations as far as adjustments or mods? I will probably get a chip tune to bump up mpgs slightly, but not sure if anyone advances/retards timing on bio and has any advice on that.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Congrats to you both.

My first 1000L order is arriving next week :) Gonna be too cold for running it pure for the next while though...

Do your Passats have the PD engine?
Yes, the 2.0L 134 HP version. I run B100 in the Seattle area in the winter without issue.

I know you get a lot colder though and because of that we snowmobile up in Revelstoke.

BeetleGo

TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Congratulations, Lug. I will be at the 10 year mark next April. I said then that it would take a good 10 years to see significant progress and I think that's about right. Biodiesel is now at 3% in all diesel sold in Massachusetts. It goes up to 4% next year, and 5% the year after that. Some would say that that's slow. I disagree. It takes time to switch over.

Some of us have moved over more quickly. You're one of those people, and you've shown that it doesn't hurt! We CAN do this.

My hat goes off to you.