My A2 AHF Project...

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi80tdi, A2 ahf project in progress...
Hey guys so I’m on my way with my long awaited project that Iv wanted to do for some time now. The car that is getting the diesel treatment is a 1990 Golf GTT16v. I got the car in July and since been stripping and cleaning it getting it all ready. Couple of days ago I received a delivery of a crashed 1999 Golf tdi 110bhp engine ahf with 69k miles on the clock. Ill let pictures do most of the talking:

When I got the A2 golf:

The inside was a mess. I was told a mouse has spent some of its life in there behind the clocks cluster so that’s why it’s bit of a mess from when they sent him out of there...

The 1.8 16v engine was already out when I got the car as its timing belt was gone and I didn’t need it anyway or the box...

After days of cutting compound, swirl remover and polish..

All the old electrics are out in favour of most A4 wiring Ill see how much I can use and how much A2 loom will be needed. The A4 clocks will be used along with MFA.

Engine bay ready for the 1.9 power plant..

VNT20 turbo will be used on a 1.9TD manifold with adapter

I bought this intercooler brand new for very little money. It looks very nice and has on metal end tank (other one is plastic) the size is perfect and looks like mounting it isn’t going to be a big problem. I hope it does a good job of cooling...

I will try use this lifter pump that was in the tank already (which lifts the fuel for the main pump under the car) as it has the sender already on it (kind of like what kerma did with the pd pump)...

Nice restricted exhaust is going to be replaced by a straight pipe (really want to side exit but will see what happens)..

The donor car...

I have not yet started ripping stuff out the A4 as Iv been working and its Edition38 VW show this weekend here in the UK so hopefully Ill get started next week and post some more pics.

What does everyone think? I hope to get this project done soon as I have to go to university end of September and got to work a lot at the same time so it will slow down after that.

Cheers, Anton.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Just so you know, we have a new section at the bottom for "conversions" and I guess this would apply.

Looks like an awesome project though and a great way to save money if you have the time and know-how.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Sorry to steel your post Anton but what did you think of VW's Edition 38 today mate and we even saw one of Diesel-des's mates over from N Iland with very blinging black seat leon tdi with a very large fmic and lambo doors

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Steve i I think the show was off the hook!! Im burnt all over from the sun! got loads of pictures, heres some from you know what...

Can you remember the fellows name? I cant remember from the heat stroke! He seemed friendly he said he was on here but dont know if hel see this post?

Thanks to everybody whos commented on my project. Im gona update as often as I can so it will be intresting to follow ( I hope).

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Now common Steve you havnt mentioned anything about my car! scared of the competition? haha! By the way whats simon doing with his stock pd manifold? I wonder if it will fit mine is it similar to the pd130/150 design?

RAVEN

No anton i've also forgotten, i'm shaw diesel des will tell him though.
Aaahhh!! the two Homosexuals from E38!!! lol!!

Hope you two guys are keeping well!!' and less posting on here and get the projects finished!!!

Regards
Gary

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Hi Raven i'm having some diesel fuel made if you come across when it arrives you can aquire some off me for a large donation.

RAVEN

Hi Raven i'm having some diesel fuel made if you come across when it arrives you can aquire some off me for a large donation.
Is it alcoholic??? lol!!
, sounds good!, I'll give it a go! lol

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Listen up RAVEN budy chum and anyone else who lives over on this side of the pond, its not cheap but you will not beleave how well your motor will run on this fuel ( I CAN NOT STRESS THIS POINT ENOUGH), and its even got some bio added too.
I will also say this (get this) your car will run quieter and lowder all at the same time.

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
dont try sell your exotic fuels on here Steve I wont tolerate haha! unless I get generous discount! Oh by the way Steve I recall you mentionaing bling...

02A cable shift

Climatronic heater

Full A4 wiring

Hmmm I wonder what that rusty bracket is for??...You will have to wait till friday to see Im working till then and Iv got the A4 pedals to go in on thursday before the dash so no pics yet.

Hey Gary good to hear from ya....btw can anyway get hold of a manifold for me of a 130 passat (like your gary) or 130/150 golf? Really dont wana pay £270 for new one from vw

Im also trying to source a pump/alternator bracket so I dont have to run the air con compressor. and vw want £200 for that!

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
I think Im gona have to have that shifter 1" tall as the damn A4 dash sits so far forward I doubt Ill be able to shift it into 1st,3rd,5th etc. Ill have to get a short shifter kit or make one!

By the way I cant run doorcards with the dash as its too wide! When the doors are closed theres about 1/2" gap between the door metal and dash so Ill have to make it out of material like a curtain or something that hangs and covers the door ha.

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
too late for weight saving, the A4 loom weighs a good 20kg, the cross bar for dash is a good 8 if not 10kg and the dash is around 10kg i guess! so thats nearly 40kg for no real reason! Its raining today so cant put the dash in for more pics!
Still dont know what Im doing with the intake manifold Im definetly not using the A4 one Im going to use the 1.9TD if I have to it will probly flow the same but I can have the intake on passenger side (right hand drive car) so it will work better with the fmic (and no anti shudder/ egr to restrict!)

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey good work! can't believe someone near me has doen same thing! Where abouts from mersyeside are you from? Not too far from preston eh! You say its up and running is it quick being an a mk2 shell? Looks pretty standard spec from pics?

BTW what radiator are you using? Looks like a petrol one is it doin a good job of cooling your engine? My standard 16v one is tiny Im after a GTD unit to run.

BTW steve my new IC

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok its been a long time with no updates frankly Iv not took any interesting pictures/had the time to post as it takes ages for me to resize and upload etc. But anyway a quick update on how its going along. I’m hoping to have it finished in less than a month. Iv not worked on it much as Iv been working a lot, going out etc. But now the bad weather/short days/university is all going to slow me down. So here are some pics:

More on the pedal box. The clutch assembly was relatively easy to fit. The 2 lower holes were drilled in the bulkhead and then the main cylinder wall was cut out. The final top hole was drilled and I had to use a spacer on the bolt as the top hole is set back.

The pedal then had to be cut in half and one of the faces was ground at an angle to change the pedal shape so it sat back a bit more in line with the brake pedal.

I retained the standard brake pedal assembly but had to cut the cable clutch and accelerator bits off. I then had to weld on the pedal u-piece connector on to the A4 brake servo:

For the accelerator I welded on a plate onto the brake assembly:

I was very lucky that the standard A2 accelerator pedal stop works perfectly with the A4 accelerator pedal! I have not got a picture of all the pedals in but I will post soon.

The A4 steering column was not very hard to fit. I just had to weld the standard A2 universal joint on that connects to the steering rack as the A4 one was slightly too short and the splines were different:

Doing it this way has probably messed up the centre cancellers for the indicator stalk.

For the braking and suspension side of things I’m fitting some Bilstein shocks with Eibach springs. I’m using Golf A3 GTi hubs, driveshafts and 280mm brakes. Because of the different lower ball joint in the A3 GTi cars I have to use the wishbones of it as well so I have bought new ones for the fresh bushes and now have to get hold of a A3 GTi anti-roll bar. The shocks:

New Golf G60 top mounts were fitted as well. The back end is going to be a slightly wider A3 GTi axle with Golf A4 alloy disc callipers. I’m hoping to get braided hoses sorted out too. Since the A3 gti's have 5 stud hubs I’m going to use the VR6 BBS alloys:

Their 15x6.5J I’m not sure what tyres I’m going to use with them but probably in the size region of 195/50/R15.

Now for the engine! New mounts all round along with all the necessary cable change brackets:

VR6 clutch on G60 flywheel:

The engine in!:

I have since removed the head to get it rebuilt with 3-angle valve seating and clean out the ports and try to remove the damn 3rd injector that’s seized in!

By the way the A4 dashboard is fully in but I have not been able to get a pic due to the clutter inside my car and constant rain outside. That’s all for now Ill check back soon with more pics I have lined up but want some better quality ones.

Cya.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Its Anton's birthday today so happy birthday to Anton , right about now he should be out having a really good drink with that page 3 honey i set him up with cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

No salt and pepper tonight just honey

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Heya Steve Im living the high life now at 21! By the way friday today me and my mates bday celebrations tonight in town then pulling a sickie for work tomoz as I wont be able to move in the morning.

By the way about that clubGTI dyno day on leeds, when I went the best diesel was a chipped PD150...boring! and he even got a trophy for it! you better be up for it next time in feb...but then again you will be competition for me! hmmmmm

Crispy_8V

TDI
Mk1/A1 Golf GTTDI, Mk4 GTDI & Corrado TDI
Happy birthday Anton:)
you never know where competition may creep in from! I'd just be happy when I get 150 BHP at the moment!

all pics have red XX's :confused:

Chris P

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Its because the tdiclub photo servers are down. (I really dont like this new forum look its really slow at loading on my computer and just hard to get around for me?? and it doesnt jump to the new post once you click on a topic)

Was gonna post some more pics now but Im going to wait till the server is back up.

By the way what a mess I was on saturday :eek:(had to work 9-6 aswell!)