My A2 AHF Project...

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit GTD (future TDI)
ANTON, this is awesome! Can't wait to see the result! I didn't get a chance to even read your thread until tonight. Hows it going with it? I haven't gotten far one mine, alot of sandblasting, cleaning parts, etc. Still trying to find another AHU or ALH piston so I have a complete set of stronger pistons vs. the 1z units...

Joe

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Called on Aton today to have a good look at his project its coming together nicely , that suspention he's added is stiff just the way the doctor subscribed .

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi80tdi, A2 ahf project in progress...
Simon wants me to add eibach anti roll bars too! thinks Im loaded!

Joe Im the same...all prep work at the moment with most things + loads of university work to do and horrible weather is all stopping me. Im going away just after xmas too for 3weeks so it wont be on the road till mid feb i dont think. Iv got some more fotos Ill upload soon. You got any pics of your project?

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
No but he said its worthwhile to save up for some.
An update anyway....

The steering colunm had to be redone as I had too many UJ joints in. I had to make an adapter to delete one of the joints. It looked like this:

so the coloumn looks like this now after it was welded together:

The inlet manifold got a tarty heat shield made for it too keep it cool and add extra weight to the car:

The completed race pipe:

The head has been fully rebuilt with new stem seals, reground valve seats 3-angle and painted:

Brake calipers have all been blasted, cleaned and painted (apart from the rear claipers which are alloy but they have been laquered):

Front brake and strut assembled. New 280mm discs fitted.

The brakes look massive behind the 15" vr6 alloys. The hubs and new wishbones of the mk3 GTI have been fitted so it looks very wide indeed!

This is how Iv been working on the car....from 9pm till 3am in the frost!

A couple of interior pics:

Well thats all for now its all slowed down again due to disgusting amount of college work, christmas etc. As some of you know I have got a new turbo setup...but more on that later when I clean it abit. Its not got any of this vanes stuff....

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Cant post more than 10 pics at a time so heres one more:

and another one....

Thanks to peter smith for helping out in the workshops. He made the heatshield along with the race pipe with me.

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
Anton,

That is really coming along...and looking sweet Very nice!
I do have some pics I can post...not too much...but here is some of whats going on. Just finally now getting the piston straightened around and doing all the details....but here you go...

The block, Cummins Beige in honor of the Cummins mechanical pump to be installed...

Respective pumps...

Need to get the head together and test fit, but I'm hoping that turning the A4 style sprocket backwards on the mounting up will align the cummins pump correctly. A mock up seems too, but I will that to have some material taken off the "front" side in order to clear the mounting bolts in the B4/A3 style bracket... reason why...cummins pump has a shorter nose than the TDI pumps do.... an AAZ pump pulley would work perfect, but I've been unable to source one.

Some of the details...this has been my last couple weeks while straightening out the pistons, sourcing them, etc...

The head after my R&R cleaning on my own last week...got it pretty good Now going to work on port matching it and rebuilding the internals..

and finally...a few other bits...the 10.1's that I'll be upgrading the Rabbit too (already running rear discs...) ... my intake manifold that I'm working on and inlet flange utilizing a modified G60 boost return valve...AWIC, and of course...a few pics of the Rabbit anxiously awaiting its new motor sporting its Centras

still need to go back and redo the euro bumpers and flares too...repaint, resto again...

Ah...can't wait Bigger and badder than ever

Joe

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
A few more since we have our post limits. All this stuff I've been working on "detailing, etc." i spent the last few sandblasting and cleaning up. Including the head....couldn't believe how clogged up the intake ports actually were...if I had to guess...probably 40% in some places if not a bit worse.
Anyways... a few more...

As she sat so nicely :) the summer it was painted (3 years ago)

AWIC

New exhaust manifold

Think thats enough for now. Love that A4 dash install...very cool :)

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Anton now i know what you do with all your time at UNI , i must say that A4 dash looks good.

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Had to paint the head because it went from shiny alloy to heavily oxidised and dull ****e over the years. The paint I used is a high temp aluminium colour and is very thin so it does not look painted really (picture doesnt do any justice)

Joe looks very nice. I really wanted to use A1 chassis but I didnt want to pick up a rust bucket at the price I got the A2 for as here in the UK decent condition A1s go for reasonable amount. What intake manifold is that? I will try source you a AAZ sprocket here as they are quite common but its the problem of the supplier splitting it from the pump. Any details on the pump? ie head size etc

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Anton, that dash work looks awesome. How you made the MKIV dash fit and look good in an MKII I'll never know.

jbattenhouse

Something is wrong with your car - the steering wheel is on the wrong side :D. I wish those seats would fit in my A3.

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Cheers for comments...I would rather have LHD but its hard to get parts here. I had a LHD polo and loved it.

dubCanuck1

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, MKII/2002 ALH TDI (In progress)
Hey Anton,

Do you have a part number on that bracket for the tranny? Not the rear, transversal one. I've got that. I need the one that bolts to the two holes on the top of the tranny and then runs right back to the mount.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
He's in Russia visiting some relatives and sampling some Vodka , his last email reported -15/20 degree just miled then.?

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes I know that one I have one of those to put on...Cant get you the number now though as Im not on my computer with ETKA but Ill get back to you with the number end of this week. I know some people havnt put it on with some conversions but use it if you can.

Steve its forcasted for -30! im getting of here on wed:eek:

dubCanuck1

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm pretty sure it's the same one that fits the 02A and 02C tranny of the Passat and Rallye.

This is the part number I think it is. When you get the chance, please confirm
357 199 356

The other thing is that I've got an M10x150 Allen-key head bolt through the starter, holding the front mount on, but it's just a tad too short to get good purchase. What did you use to mount that?

Last edited:

dubCanuck1

Veteran Member
TDI
I may have figured the front mount part out. After hours of pouring over the ETOS CD, I've found some parts, mostly from the Phaeton/Audi S8, RS6, and Passat, I think that can be used as longer versions of the stock MKII starter bolts. Here's the part numbers for anyone who is interested in using the MKII front mount on an 02J 5-speed tranny, with the stock starter.

N 104 713 01 (First found this one while searching parts for the RS6 - It's M10X160 hex head, w/shoulder)

N 105 802 01 (M10X170X49 - (combi) hex head)

N 100 271 02 (M10X160 - This one was an optional bolt for the Phaeton starter. It's listed as having an Allen head, so I'll try to order it.)

N 101 035 01 (BM10X160-V, Hex Head).

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
could I get a part number for this intake manifold:

Also what engines/models did it come on? I see you have plans of using the G60 intake manifold. Any chance I could buy the manifold that is pictured above when you are finished with the G60 setup?

dubCanuck1

Veteran Member
TDI
038 129 713 J for the following models
Golf/Jetta
1999-2002 models of AHF, AGR, AJM, AUY, ATD, ASV, Manual ALH
2003-2006 models of AGR, AHF, ATD, ASV, Manual ALH
NOT ON:
Auto ALH, AXR, ARL, ASZ - all years

New Beetle
1999-2006 models of ALH (PR-5C0), ATD
NOT ON:
199-2006 models of ALH (PR-5C1)

Last edited:

dubCanuck1

Veteran Member
TDI
Crap, just realized you wanted the right-side exit. Disregard all that other stuff. Those are the ones that route to the left. What you want is below...

038 129 713 AJ or
038 129 713 AP

Looks like it only comes on the newer Passats

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
I take it Anton you'll be out on the raz tonight spending money you hav'nt got shouldn't spend ??? ;)

tdi-mk2

TDI
Mk2 Golf 1z tdi.
hi anton, good to see another conversion in progress, i still haven't sourced a donor for mine yet, could you tell me why you're not using a pd engine? any reason in particular or was it availability? surely even more power and torque is where it's at?

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
the only thing i can see in favour of pd is stronger bottom end and easy tuning if using the 130 or 150 but cost is way too much for me. You will have to have most of the donor car to make the engine run properly as immo issues are high. power and torque numbers can be higher due to stronger bottom end but it will cost a lot more. Im aiming for 200bhp and thats all I want for now so my VE engine is up to the job hopefully.

..and G60ing the pd manifold is what Im using...the G60 one is Joes for his tdi for his A1 golf.

and steve you should know better than that about me drinking....:rolleyes: thats the beuty of student life!!!

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
No he's back but he's also been busy with university degree work etc , but was talking to him the other day and he said he was going to re-start the project in a month or so.

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
wow someone dug my thread up would have had a hard time finding it myself. Ill do a update as I feel I started this thread and given up which it may look like I have but as mojogoes said I have been real busy with university and new job but now the weathers brightened up and Iv finished my exams I have cracked on a bit with the car.

Right the pistons have been turned to reduce the cr (I know Joe did this on his project and he talked about the new cr ratio so look at his post as Iv not bothered figuring the new cr out yet:rolleyes:)

The ABS has been wired in and all the lines straightened and bent to shape. Now got to fork out for a duff front sendor:mad:

The ECU mounted were the orig gti ecu was

Side exit:D doesnt look straight as the centre of exhaust is not connected so its resting on the floor twisting the tail up.

Remaining box of bits

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
This is how long the cars been standing for the discs were new about 3months ago and now look at them:eek: and they were still oily when I put them on

Intercooler nearly mounted on the front member. The front bumper has had most of it cut off to accomodate but forgot to take picture.

The driving to work entertainment incase there is no one to race:D My fav old Alpine headunit, DLS components and small Audison amp to keep off the weight

To let poeple know that this cars an old diesel banger

As the engine bay is now

and the rest of car