My 91 GTI 8 valve to B4 1Z TDI swap

1986.5supra_kid

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
what a looong read but it was a great thread! GTiTDi I look to use a similar turbo,injector setup. your steel motor mounts where made so you could clear the turbo. would that be a problem the mk3 jetta would have too?

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
what a looong read but it was a great thread! GTiTDi I look to use a similar turbo,injector setup. your steel motor mounts where made so you could clear the turbo. would that be a problem the mk3 jetta would have too?
Yup same motor mount clearance issue in the MK3.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

1986.5supra_kid

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
wow its been a few months since i read this again. Im trying to figure out how you went maf-less. im trying to recreate your setup but in a mk3 with factory smic and piping.

also where is this meet held at?

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Speed density meaning it uses iat and map now to figure out volume of air?
What is the benefit?
Biggest benefit..no $$$ MAF to replace ever again..yes uses the MAP signal to control fueling..the MAF was really only necessary for two things: fine tuning the mixture and to monitor the flow of the EGR valve..Speed density is simpler using less hardware however a tune incorporating the MAF usually gets better fuel economy due to the finer fueling adjustments the MAF signal can support

GTiTDi

TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
From what I've heard that is! I don't monitor my economy too much because my foot is always flat to the floor...especially now that I am driving a portly T4 as a daily now :p Hop in the GTDI and it's literally like night and day!

GTiTDi

TDI
Finally got around to installing the optima battery tray a buddy from school gave me a while back..using an extra blue top I had lying around...I installed it with 1/4-20 counter sunk SS screws, two of the holes are blocked by a box section that is part of the fuel tank strap mount. I will be installing a couple rivnuts.

algirdas

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta AHU
All three Diffs will work and you'll notice it for sure.
Peloquin is great package deal, comes with bolts, bearings, gasket & real warranty.
Wavetrac has a clutch pak in addition to the gearset, reported better on ice.
Quaife, cost was higher than others in the past, maybe different now.

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
All three Diffs will work and you'll notice it for sure.
Peloquin is great package deal, comes with bolts, bearings, gasket & real warranty.
Wavetrac has a clutch pak in addition to the gearset, reported better on ice.
Quaife, cost was higher than others in the past, maybe different now.
I started a thread with a poll in the upgrade forum regarding this...

GTiTDi

TDI
Picked up an 11mm injection pump from a FL pick-n-pull while on vacation...plan on dyno testing it with the 10mm pump that is on there now then retesting after swapping on the 11mm for a comparison. Also I recently swapped the head bolts for ARP studs in preparation for the extra fuel. Picked up a set of Race520 nozzles too. I wonder if it will still be so clean burning after that....Also still have to do something about the slipping clutch

Last edited:

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
, 1981 VW pickup TDI Conversion, , 2000 Golf TDI,1985 Cabriolet 16V,2006 jetta
Your just like me Chris one thing leads to anothet and it just keeps going $$$

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yeah, I have a pile of parts and a pile of ideas, all unrelated except for the $$$s.

-I need to drop the tranny for oil slinger repair (at the pilot shaft input and seal).
-Some sort of flywheel/clutch/etc., upgrade to get rid of the rattle
-Modify the exhaust system
-Modify the motor mounts from engine to carrier bars
-Address oil leak with the return line on the power steering
-Fuel line leak along frame
-Modify the Inter Cooler ....... add capacity

Worst of all, find that darn dead mouse ............ dang, my Van stinks!

Chris, keep us posted on the 11mm IP and bigger injectors ........ No doubt, you are going to need that clutch upgrade too!

GTiTDi

TDI
Dead mice are pretty bad but so are the remains of their nests...the stink can be impossible to get rid of..and their urine is corrosive...rotted out an Opel GT I have...

GTiTDi

TDI
Haven't updated the thread in a while, now it's time to. Six speed upgrade for the GTI soon, payment to Steve Addy on the group buy sent :D Now I need to order a Peloquin LSD and figure out what clutch to go with, the current Sachs VR6 isn't up to the task anymore. I am still running a 10mm ALH pump and PP764s, if it isn't holding now it isn't going to be any better w an 11mm and Race 520s...
Also due to high ambient temps recently I installed a fuel cooler below my FMIC. It is a transmission cooler from a Ford Explorer. I have it positioned w the top canted forward to try to get as much flow through the cooler, as well as a small plastic ramp to direct air through cooler rather than losing some below it. I notice more consistent power despite engine/fuel temp increases, it seemed to drop off a bit more before once fuel temps were higher, was smokier and less power up top (around and past 5K)

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
I haven't seen the post what's the price or is the deal closed on the 6 speed

GTiTDi

TDI
Peloquin LSD on the way....now deciding on clutch...SB stage 2 Endurance?

Another 96 Passat TDI in the inventory ready to be swapped into a new home :D

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
Chris I put the SB stage 2 in mine, don't know if I like it or not haven't used it yet, everyone seems to recommend it I want the six speed also it's just my pocket book says no right now this week I might get first start I hope to have fuel lines