My 91 GTI 8 valve to B4 1Z TDI swap

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
I'd have to think 2.25" piping should work fine.
Ive been watching this thread for a while as im collecting parts for a similar build myself all be it with a slightly different variation of the GT2052 which comes from a Landrover TD5 engine. You did reply to one of my posts asking if it would be a suitable turbo.

I asked about the I/C tubing as I have some 2.25" tubing doing nothing and was going to use it for my I/C plumbing...

Do you think this diamter all the way through would be ok?

The4ork

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk1 AHU (in progress) Mk2 GTi 8V MkIV Jetta12VR
great build thread, finally sat down and read through it. Makes me wish i was swapping the ahu into my 90 alpine white GTI daily driver :D

but ive been dead set on the alpine white mk1 jetta 4dr for some time now. perhaps if i come across another wrecked diesel the mk2 can get a swap too :)

BTW how has it been tuning with vwmikel, and if you dont mind answering why did you choose his tuning over a malone tune.

also any pics of the map sensor you mentioned earlier, i may have missed it, surely its installed since mention of 28psi!

GTiTDi

TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
I have been über busy with work between Smyth and my own shop, haven't taken the time to update my thread lately....

Last edited:

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
Awesome swap, great job. I bought an unfinished 91 golf with a 1Z swapped into it, and your pic of the A3 fuel tank/sender helped me figure out how to get my sender in. I am also going with an A3 tank, and mounting a lift pump under the car. Keep up the good work.

GTiTDi

TDI
Awesome swap, great job. I bought an unfinished 91 golf with a 1Z swapped into it, and your pic of the A3 fuel tank/sender helped me figure out how to get my sender in. I am also going with an A3 tank, and mounting a lift pump under the car. Keep up the good work.
Thank you, it has been a fun project! As far as mounting your lift pump, there is no need to mount it under the car...it does just fine under the hood! :)

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you, it has been a fun project! As far as mounting your lift pump, there is no need to mount it under the car...it does just fine under the hood! :)
That's good to hear. How long/how many miles have you been running that pump, and what pump is it?

Also, do you know if there is a check valve built into the stock A3/B4 sending unit to keep fuel from draining back into the tank when the pump is off? The reason I ask is because I am replacing both the feed and return lines with 5/16 ID hose and I wasn't sure if the check valve was part of one of the lines or the sender.

Does the pump you have allow the IP to pull fuel through it even in the event of lift pump failure? If not, I would like to run a lift pump bypass circuit with a check valve that will allow fuel to flow around it in the event of lift pump failure.

GTiTDi

TDI
That's good to hear. How long/how many miles have you been running that pump, and what pump is it?
It is a cheapo Mr. Gasket liftpump, been in there since I ditched the experimental PD/Mk3 intank setup...
Also, do you know if there is a check valve built into the stock A3/B4 sending unit to keep fuel from draining back into the tank when the pump is off? The reason I ask is because I am replacing both the feed and return lines with 5/16 ID hose and I wasn't sure if the check valve was part of one of the lines or the sender.
The Check valves are just after the sending unit..I have removed them without any noticeable consequence

Does the pump you have allow the IP to pull fuel through it even in the event of lift pump failure? If not, I would like to run a lift pump bypass circuit with a check valve that will allow fuel to flow around it in the event of lift pump failure.
IIRC this lift pump will allow fuel to flow whether it is energized or not....

GTiTDi

TDI
New oil feed line to replace the old Piper cub line I had been using...mainly to test out some fittings and line that I found for a very reasonable price..PTFE liner too...

pressure test fittings installed to check for leaks...very handy

GTiTDi

TDI
Well I ran it without an engine cover for a while, and hadn't planned on running one until I saw the euro TDI covers. They aren't exactly cost-prohibitive however they are an unnecessary addtion, so I couldn't justify purchasing one. I did have a cracked AHU cover I was planning on throwing away....So I modified it!

And yes I know my Timing belt cover is not installed, I have been playing with timing settings!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I like what you did, it looks good!

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
1980 Rabbit Pickup (1.6 IDI), 1990 Corrado TDI, 2010 Audi A5
Good job with that. The one I have probably end up trimmed as well since it won't work with my turbo setup. Its actually fine with me because I hate the long neck oil cap you have to run with the full cover.

Unrelated : IIRC, you're not running AC, correct? Doesn't look like it from that picture.

GTiTDi

TDI
Good job with that. The one I have probably end up trimmed as well since it won't work with my turbo setup. Its actually fine with me because I hate the long neck oil cap you have to run with the full cover.

Unrelated : IIRC, you're not running AC, correct? Doesn't look like it from that picture.
No AC.

GTiTDi

TDI
Well the GTDI has evolved again...spent the day setting up a new cold ram intake system...now my VW has Jaguar and Subaru as well as Saab and Ford parts ;):D

details soon...

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Awesome! Seems we never get finished... great work!

Do you plan to attend the Fest in Maine?

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
You bet I do! I have been slacking on signing up, very busy lately!
I look forward to meeting you and seeing your car in person.

Sent from my Bosch Motronic ECM via VCDS Version 1.9LVE

GTiTDi

TDI
I look forward to meeting you and seeing your car in person.

Likewise. It will be fun to have a few more swapped cars at fest. The competition will be much more fierce! Hopefully Mike_W makes it with his mk2 Coupe TDI as well as VWNut in his caddy, and really hoping TooRoundTDI and Burpod's plan of driving up in Pod's mk1 comes to fruition!

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
Likewise. It will be fun to have a few more swapped cars at fest. The competition will be much more fierce! Hopefully Mike_W makes it with his mk2 Coupe TDI as well as VWNut in his caddy, and really hoping TooRoundTDI and Burpod's plan of driving up in Pod's mk1 comes to fruition!
Check your pms ;)

GTiTDi

TDI
I might move my inlet snorkel to the location in the right front fender through the hole meant for the carbon canister (evap)...It works fine as is but curious if the airflow is better/cooler down there rather than next to the intercooler..plus the inlet horn interferes with the grill....

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
There's a small chance I'll make it.. If so it will be a whirlwind of a day trip as I have family in from far out of town for the holiday weekend..

I did finally get my coupe mostly shook out.. sure is a lot of fun to go fast AND get 50 mpg :D