My 91 GTI 8 valve to B4 1Z TDI swap

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
The value of a build thread

Starting this build thread as well as my vortex build thread has turned out to helpful in many ways. Instead of just a local circle of friends involved you end up with way more people to comment, advise, and offer useful parts! Yesterday I met up with a fellow VW enthusiast who turned out to be an aficionado! I ended up leaving with so many useful parts to complete my GTI, some things I haven't even thought of yet! I ended up getting a corrado g60 radiator and dual fan setup, a G60 lower coolant pipe to give me room for the A/C compressor, A custom 2.5 in side exit exhaust, battery cables to move the battery to the trunk (like I do with all my FWD VWs), A mk3 intercooler and piping, a one off intercooler pipe custom for the mk2 setup, plus a lot more! Thanks again Jake if you read this! When I did my Jetta coupe ABA swap I didn't use the internet once, and if I did I would have done a few things differently, nothing I regret but once I get my GTI on the road the Jetta will be getting some minor improvements (ABF 16valve, CE2 cluster, etc.):D Build thread = priceless

GTiTDi

TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Modified the digifant airbox to work with the TDI airflow sensor...was going to get a mk2 turbo diesel airbox but when I picked up the mk3 intercooler parts and side exit exhaust, I was shown a digi box that was cut up to fit the airflow sensor boss from a mk3/b4 airbox but it was missing the sensor boss. So after a little cutting and hot gluing, here are the results!

AJxr

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
swap looks beautiful! cant wait to see the finished product but i am sure this is definitely the most fun part ownership!

GTiTDi

TDI
The differenc between B4 and A3 TDI tanks

the A3 jetta tdi tank is in the foreground, B4 passat tdi in the background

the A3 fuel sender. same size as the 2.0 fuel pump/sender! I have a couple of extra 2.0 units, once I get a regulator I will have a lift pump!

the B4 sender

GTiTDi

TDI
My GTI moved under its own power this morning, still have some things to square away before a real test drive but its nice to start it up and drive it! Can't wait to upload a video of it running, an audio track would be good enough, the side exit sounds mean!!!

GTiTDi

TDI
Awesome! Did you use the A3 or B4 tank? Do both of them fit?
The A3 tank. perfect fit. If anyone doing a B4 VR6 to TDI swap is interested my B4 tank is for sale...PM me. Lots of other mint B4 sedan goodies like taillights and other parts as well. I want to do a VNT-17/22 conversion :cool:

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
amazing build man...
Are you planning on doing any power mods? Just read the power mods. My appoligies.
Did you post the video in the thread above on you tube?
The video wont work through the facebook link.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Nothing better to hear after doing a **** ton of work hoping all is done right. Good Job

GTiTDi

TDI
Nothing better to hear after doing a **** ton of work hoping all is done right. Good Job
Thanks Frank, I am sure you would approve of my work so far, just spliced the A3 fuel level sender connector to the gauge wires, I left the lift pump wiring intact for future upgrades...The power steering came out awesome, I will have to upload pics of the details..B4 feed pipe fit right into the A2 radiator support, and with a mix of A2/A3/B4 lines/hoses and a B4 reservoir, it all fits great and looks original too. The B4 reservoir fits nicely next to the A2 washer reservoir...I will be test driving once I align it and get the rear brakes hooked up.

GTiTDi

TDI
I am working on getting the rear suspension/brakes squared away. I am installing an A3 jetta beam with a new proportioning valve, fabricated a tool to press in rear suspension beam mount bushings which is done, as well as polyurethane inserts, rear disc brakes with stainless braided flex and all new hard lines. This swap project is more of a restoration than just installing a TDI. It isn't like I started with a running and driving car! Being able to move it around under its own (diesel) power is a big step in itself!!! There is plenty of bodywork to keep me busy for a while, I want to get it good enough to take to dustoff in april. I also cut the instrument cluster mounting bracket out of the spare A3 Golf dash I had kicking around in order to mount the A3 cluster into my A2 GTI dash..I know a lot of people do the A3 dash swap, but I have read about issues with the window crank handles hitting the dash, and noticed a lot of the swaps were done on cars with power windows. Also having a redundant passenger airbag cover isn't aesthetically pleasing to me. So for now I am attempting to make the A3 cluster fit as best I can. I am busy working on a lot of different friends VW's too, hard to make time for everything. I will post pictures of my beam bushing tool later.

dilumari

TDI
96 Passat TDI
I though the A3 Cluster fits perfectly in the A2 dash? And I thought by perfectly, it means no cutting/fabrication needs to be done :D. Don't worry about the update, take your time. As long as you don't forget to post pictures when it's all done.

GTiTDi

TDI
I though the A3 Cluster fits perfectly in the A2 dash? And I thought by perfectly, it means no cutting/fabrication needs to be done :D. Don't worry about the update, take your time. As long as you don't forget to post pictures when it's all done.
Evidently you haven't seen too many A2 or A3 clusters..:p

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon

fitted side mount intercooler..took it apart to paint
I take it this intercooler hose config means you're trunk mounting the battery?

If not, I'd like to see how you got around the battery with the piping.. this is my biggest obstacle yet.. (stubborn and want small bumpers)

GTiTDi

TDI
Not sure how well it will look with small bumpers and a side mount...Let me go take some pictures of it so I can show you how much the IC sticks out of the fender...Unless you make so sort of bubble to cover the IC it will just be sticking out of the fender.

GTiTDi

TDI
Power Steering.

reservoir from the B4 donor, feed hose from A2, return hose from A3 2.0

Pressure line to rack from the B4, feed hose is the reservoir hose from A3 2.0, feed pipe from B4 mounted inside radiator support (not seen from this picture)

the B4 feed pipe can be seen in this pic, above the corrado lower radiator hose. the pressure line from the B4 fits perfectly in the A2 bay.

Last edited by a moderator:

GTiTDi

TDI
going to make a trim piece to take the place of the jack door..the side exit was interfering with it so I took it off, and was a perfect replacement for the missing one on my Jetta Coupe!

I don't want any mistake as to what fuel goes in my GTI...a blow drier and razor blade are very helpful for removing and reusing decals...

Last edited by a moderator:

GTiTDi

TDI
Mk3 instrument cluster in Mk2 dash...making it look right!

I have successfully modified the stock mk2 instrument panel bezel to fit the mk3 cluster, which is also successfully mounted into the mk2 gti dash. Every mk2 with a mk3 cluster that I have seen ends up with big gaps around the sides and bottom of the trim bezel, and most times the bezel covers up the bottom corners hiding the fuel and coolant temp gauges partially. I added material (from the broken original glove box) around the bottom and sides, and split and widened the bottom portion of the bezel. I made pieces to fair in the top corners and make it curved rather than the square shape of the mk2 cluster. Its a tedious process but well worth the effort. I prefer the mk2 dash over the mk3, but wanted the mk3 TDI cluster, now I have it. Pics as soon as I load them up.

GTiTDi

TDI
First drive!

Drove my GTI for the first time this evening! I am very pleased with the performance! Before the test ride I replaced the vacuum line inside the ecu which was split and throwing the ecu code. MIL stays out now! Turbo sounds healthy and boosts nice, pulls really well! After clearing the MIL's and running the car at idle the glow plug light began flashing. Once I drove it the glow plug light stayed out. I still have a lot of work to do but so far so good! The brakes feel great which is nice since it is completely different than stock (B4/A3 front and rear discs, all new steel lines, stainless steel braided flex hoses) and the alignment is pretty good considering I haven't even checked it with the toe bar yet...I am so excited to be driving it around, now to get the HVAC taken care of..especially the A/C installation..

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I bet the brake pedal switches for the flashing glowplug. let vagcom prove me wrong :)

Congrats I think you'll love it, just in time for the fun driving season.

GTiTDi

TDI
I bet the brake pedal switches for the flashing glowplug. let vagcom prove me wrong :)

Congrats I think you'll love it, just in time for the fun driving season.
Should the glow plug light set a fault code? I rescanned the ecu after the glow light flashed but it hadn't registered any faults yet. I will scan again today.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A flashing glowplug light should register a code of some sort. Make certain your brake lights are working and also make certain that the cruise control works properly in vagcom. Reference this: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=253443