My 91 GTI 8 valve to B4 1Z TDI swap

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Thank you, it has been a lot of work restoring this car, I have a lot to do, it wasn't on the road for 10 years. I still think I am going to try to find a mk3 tdi cluster or a A2 TD cluster so I have the correct tach range and a proper glow plug light. I kept the A2 cluster in my Jetta ABA 2.0, just never hooked up the VSS lead, I can't remember if the 86 had the sensor..I still have to set that up because it cuts out a 5,000rpms in 4th and 5th. you can wire any of the unused LED's on the A2 cluster to be a glow light or check engine light, on mine I used the "OXS" light that was for the O2 sensor replacement interval system that I yanked out when I did the swap.

GTiTDi

TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
I didn't have a cam sprocket holding tool yet, and I am doing a timing belt before I install the engine, so I made my own. Works on the intermediate sprocket and injection pump sprockets as well. It is much more sturdy and secure fitting than the counter holding bars I have seen before.

It is made out of scrap 1/4" steel bar for the handle and scrap 1/8" for the head with two spacers from VAG V6 timing belt tensioner pulleys, all MIG welded together..took me an hour, most of which was spent finding suitable scrap pieces. It is kind of like digging through the legos, only welding the pieces together after you find the right bricks.

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
more progress..did my timing belt, cleaned up the cover steel backing plate since the edges were a little rusty, used a blow drier to warp the covers back to shape. They seemed to have been haphazardly installed. Been painting as much as I can without disassembling too much. I bead blasted the valve cover, and took a special precaution because of a neat diesel idiosyncrasy..The cam baffle is part of the cover on the tdi, but the vw gas engines that I have most of my experience with have a seperate plastic baffle..much easier to bead blast the cover because there isn't anywhere abrasive to get caught..I ended up masking off all of the holes of the valve cover before I blasted it to prevent this grit ingress. I did the same with the intake manifold even after I cleaned the carbon/oil deposits out of it. I got it very clean, but still didn't want any abrasive grit in my engine! The cam lobes looked great, everything was very clean inside, and the timing belt tensioner was new as I suspected, as well as the idler roller which had externally surface rusted..I figure the Passat sat for a while after it was crashed in the front, right after having been serviced, maybe due to the increased power from having the belt replaced and the timing corrected? People getting throttle happy after the new found power? Either way, the pulleys are mint so I am saving them in my spare collection..which is getting out of hand, although helpful when you don't have to call around.

painted my hose clamps blue, figured it looks better than rust..

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
looks great, be careful with the blast media. It gets everywhere even when taped off.

GTiTDi

TDI
I mimicked the Passat brake lines at the master cylinder end, gives more clearance this way

The 1Z is a tight fit at least on the belt side

Last edited by a moderator:

mtngk

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 2dr ALH and the 2000 Jeep TDI-TJ
I'm loving this project! Great work! I wish I had one of these shells and California would let me licence it...

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
California will let you. You just have to swap over all emissions equipment and make it look 100% OEM. There is a TDI Corrado ragistered in Ca.

GTiTDi

TDI
you're cleaning everything I didn't and vice versa...

would look so good with this:
I chose my 1Z for my conversion because of a number of factors, one being the donor passat I bought yielded most of what I needed, had low miles, was relatively cheap and the engine fits in with OEM parts. I plan on using the 11mm ALH pump and a VNT 17 hybrid eventually ..the stock gt15 and a set of bozio sprint 520s will be enough for now...

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
Tonight I got the B4 power steering low pressure feed pipe to fit the A2 Gti radiator support..it actually fit up into the "u" channel of the support, perfect width, only had to tweak the support a little and bend the mounting tabs, then drill a couple of holes and voila..pics to follow..I wasn't even intending on doing any work, was showing it off to a fellow vdub nut and started checking out how it would fit..45 minutes later and its mounted! these older VWs are like legos!

GTiTDi

TDI
So I have been hooking up all the wiring, instrument cluster etc, and have hooked up the battery, the odometer display and clock come on! When I turn the key to position two, the oil psi light flashes, but I didn't see the MIL light up...also I think the glow plug relay is clicking when the key is on..seems like a low voltage thing maybe..its late and I need more time to check but I thought that was odd..

GTiTDi

TDI
So I am using a Jetta TDI cluster with the passat engine wiring and relay panel, I don't have everything hooked up yet and when I turn the ignition on the tach rises to 1K and stays there...what the heck is that all about? I am trying to straighten everything out, but not having a passat bentley manual doesn't make it any easier, alldata has the diagrams but sorting through them is so much easier with a book..any ideas what might be wrong?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
use the wiring digrams posted in the sticky. The only wiring differenaces between mk3/b4 cars for the engine swap really comes down to the glowplugs, 5th injector and a few misc cluster wires.

GTiTDi

TDI
well I am still sorting this stuff out and making headway but still a couple of weird issues..power supply relay 139 (location 3) is clicking when the key is on...terminal 30 (b+) is getting full power with key off but when turned on drops to 6 volts..I still have the tach issue where it goes to 1,000 rpms and I have yet to see the glowplug or mil lamps illuminate...any idea what I am missing?

the mil circuit for the passat wiring goes from t68/60 to g1/9, then to u1/9 then to t28/26
the mil circuit for the jetta wiring makes no sense to me http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/vanagon/TDI/1996_Jetta_TDI_wiring_LONG4.pdf
t68/60 goes directly to "K" then to G1/4
my a3 bentley says t68/60 connects to X/4

what the heck!

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
all of the gray with white stripe wires get connected together. Maybe some of these pictures will help you:

GTiTDi

TDI
thanks for your help, such quick response! so I understand the TV plugs for bridging circuits, I see all of them in your pictures, I just don't understand what is happening with that power supply relay spazzing, and the tach is odd too..is this just because I am missing a couple of these bridged supplementary connections?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
sounds familiar. do you have everything grounded?

GTiTDi

TDI
I will have to double check all of my grounds in the morning. I have to check the spots that I painted to make sure the grounds are clean, thought I did but always gotta double triple check..again thanks Frank.

GTiTDi

TDI
the only thing I can't be sure of is the condition of this cluster, I got it from a tdiclub member in exchange for my b4 cluster. To confound matters further it is a canadian metric cluster.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
its probably from the french canadian portion of canada and isn't translating the American-german coding...;) good luck

GTiTDi

TDI
all of the gray with white stripe wires get connected together. Maybe some of these pictures will help you:

In this last photo the connection closest to your hand are the gray and white wires that you are talking about I don't think I have this connector, is this bridging all those leads? the red, brown and white(with gray and yellow wires)

GTiTDi

TDI
success

I now have a glowplug light, MIL, and no more phantom tachometer...also no more spastic power supply relay...

on the passat b4 1z harness, G1/9 is where the MIL signal from the ECU comes in to the fuse panel, and is supposed to come out U1/9 but the Jetta cluster harness was missing connection U1/9, because the MIL signal travels on a seperate single connector, which is a yellow with white striped wire..I took a pin out of an extra fuse panel plug that had a male single pin plug that I inserted into U1/9 and plugged into the signal pin MIL connector voila MIL

I didn't figure this MIL connection out with just the wiring diagram, I simply bench tested the cluster and started grounding the various connections until I lit up the MIL...

the spastic power supply relay and phantom tach were caused by a lack of a engine to body ground...the ground cable for the battery to the transaxle is not enough..I figured this out doing continuity tests..hooked up a jumper between the head and body and that is solved.

next up, mityvac bleeding the fuel system, hooking up the boost pipes and firing it off!

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
the passat firewall pad fits pretty good too.

That's one nice swap!

Were there any issues at all with using the B4 firewall pad? I'm thinking that might be the best option for me too. :)

And you can use the B4 control arms if you want. they are dimensionally identical to the MK3 - just built quite a bit beefier construction.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sounds like you figured it out. Good job

GTiTDi

TDI
I felt pretty embarrassed once I realized my folly with forgetting the battery to body ground..so elementary but overlooked amidst the other challenges