My $600 to $1300 B4 passat TDI

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Get a hold of a metal shop, or if you can wait a little, track down Whitbread and give him a call. He sells cones for cheap

I know when Jeremy did his IC piping work, he used the vise grip bead method.

fletcher0780

Veteran Member
TDI
none
muffler = optional!

Lookin good. i should have went VNT
Don't worry, I don't think that muffler will do much muffling. I just wanted to avoid drone as my wife uses this car as a commuter. Hopefully I'll be pleased with the VNT power out of this thing and I'll be able to stop adding oil every other week.

fletcher0780

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Been a long time without an update. I never got a chance to work on this over the summer, and last month my car went into limp mode and a 1269 N108 code. I replaced the solenoid, TB, water pump, etc and I still had the limp mode and code. Found a broken wire that, once repaired, fixed my limp issue. I felt like I was on a role, so I put the car on jack stands and got started. I removed the exhaust, intake, turbo, and exhaust manifold. Now I need to start bolting on my VNT parts. I expect the exhaust to be a real pain, but it should be nice once done.

fletcher0780

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Not too much progress over the holiday week. I haven touched anything since disassembly. I did order a couple 2.5" v-band clamps/ends for the exhaust, and a couple muffle band clamps. I've got everything ready to begin, but need to separate and drop the transmission first to install my exedy vr6 clutch. I also need to decide on which nozzles to go with. I have cheap veg .205's in now, but think maybe I should go with pp 764's balanced and tested in my injectors to get full use of the tune and turbo. Malone set the tune for 21psi, so I should have room for bigger nozzles. Here are a few pics:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Does the Malone tune take the VNT into account, or are you just running with a later N75?

fletcher0780

Veteran Member
TDI
none
So I finally built my down pipe and exhaust, full stainless 2.5" all the way back. I tacked everything with my mig and dropped it off to a friend yesterday to tig it all together. I've got a v-band just after the down pipe and just before the flex joint, and another at the end of the long mid pipe just before rear axle. I also have a band clamp before and after muffler, so I'll be able to pull the exhaust easily if needed.

I've got the old exhaust manifold, turbo, down pipe (with decent flex joint), and exhaust (including cat, but no muffler) if anyone is interested. The turbo still built good boost, but was leaking/blowing oil. Also have the turbo oil lines and cold side plumbing.

Last edited:

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
fletch0780,

Nice exhaust. You'll notice a little bit more fluidity in your power as a result of the larger pipes.

Now, when I put my down pipe on, I still had a little bit of an issue clearing the shifting cables so they had to be tied out of the way. I have an idea of how to make a brace to hold them clear of the DP, however, I had mine welded up with a V-band adapter right off the flange so it took away about 1.5-1.75 inches of clearance. Yours clear just fine?

fletcher0780

Veteran Member
TDI
none
fletch0780,

Nice exhaust. You'll notice a little bit more fluidity in your power as a result of the larger pipes.

Now, when I put my down pipe on, I still had a little bit of an issue clearing the shifting cables so they had to be tied out of the way. I have an idea of how to make a brace to hold them clear of the DP, however, I had mine welded up with a V-band adapter right off the flange so it took away about 1.5-1.75 inches of clearance. Yours clear just fine?
Yeah, we had to build about a 15* wedge right of transition pipe, to get the exhaust pointing down a bit quicker, then used about 80% of the mandrel 90*. It clears the cables just fine. I have a feeling this will be a night and day difference compared to the old wg turbo and puny exhaust with restrictive cat.

fastrabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 1Z
very motivational, I've been stocking up the parts needs to do the same swap. I have 2.5 stainless pipes, couple u-bends and a bora muffler. Have an afn manifold and 1749va turbo. I going to do a fmic at the same time, have an pd130 intake. The only thing i'm unsure is wiring and running the vac. for the new style n75 valve. Please take some pic for us.. Keep up the work

Starkey

TDI
1992 B3 Syncro Passat TDI GT2256v winter beater
how did that clutch old up or have you not installed it yet?

fletcher0780

Veteran Member
TDI
none
how did that clutch old up or have you not installed it yet?
Sadly, I haven't yet replaced it. The car is in the exact same state it was three weeks ago when I finished mocking up the exhaust. Perhaps I'll find some motivation this week.

fletcher0780

Veteran Member
TDI
none
So, a friend helped me pull the transaxle and install the new clutch today. Got the transaxle re-installed, just need to replace axle flange seals, and work on tightening up the sloppy shifter. It looks like this part will fix most of the shifter issues: http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genuine-part-shift-link-lever-carrier_64545.html

That should make it a bit nicer to drive. I also noticed I'm leaking oil around the vacuum pump and oil cooler, so I'd like to take care of that while I've got everything apart. Plan to replace front motor mount and the rotten power steering cooler line. After this I'll be on the home stretch of reassembly and can focus on cleaning up the interior, headliner, etc.

fletcher0780

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I ordered a shift lever (1J0711202B) and shift carrier (1J0711256) from Kerma. I installed new axle flange seals and bolted the flanges back in. I'm waiting on a front engine mount before I can really start putting things back together. I pulled the vacuum pump and found the top cover seal to be leaking. I never checked for vacuum before, but my brakes have never been great. Since I'm going VNT the pump will be much more important, so I ordered a cover seal and block seal from ID parts.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Is that a Jones muffler?

What tranny are you running? The lever you ordered is labeled as for a A4 chassis.

-Todd

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I ordered a shift lever (1J0711202B) and shift carrier (1J0711256) from Kerma. I installed new axle flange seals and bolted the flanges back in. I'm waiting on a front engine mount before I can really start putting things back together. I pulled the vacuum pump and found the top cover seal to be leaking. I never checked for vacuum before, but my brakes have never been great. Since I'm going VNT the pump will be much more important, so I ordered a cover seal and block seal from ID parts.
Did you order a vacuum ball too? I don't know if it's actually needed or if it is just insurance. I have mine teed into the system so I can block it off and find out if it makes a difference in 4th gear pulls...

fletcher0780

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Is that a Jones muffler?
What tranny are you running? The lever you ordered is labeled as for a A4 chassis.
-Todd
Yes, it is a Jones, I got the muffler and all the exhaust components from here performance-curve.com. Here is the muffler: http://performance-curve.com/2oo-4x9-409ssperformancemuffler-1-1-1-1-1.aspx

I got the factory 02A transmission, good catch. The carrier is the same for A3/B4 and early A4, but the lever is a different number and of course Kerma doesn't list it. How different are they? The pictures look very similar and they both use the same carrier.

A3/B4: http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3055

Early A4: http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2457

Wonder if I can make the A4 part work, I don't see any difference.

fletcher0780

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Did you order a vacuum ball too? I don't know if it's actually needed or if it is just insurance. I have mine teed into the system so I can block it off and find out if it makes a difference in 4th gear pulls...
No, can you shed some more light on this part?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Hmmmm.... Those 2 levers do look very similar. Not sure what to tell you.

I've used Jones products on several cars. I spoke to their techs on several of occasions. IIRC, the muffler you bought is a clone of a Magnaflow. I think there's a flow test showing that it flows better than the Magnaflow.

-Todd

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, can you shed some more light on this part?
On the MKIV's there is a ball that acts as a reservoir that is near the vacuum pump. Since the break booster requires vacuum (I'm not familiar with the system entirely, please check the forum. I know there was recent conversation about this) and now the turbo does as well, it allows more vaccum (that sounds so wrong since a vaccum is negative pressure) to be in the system in case there is a leak or a greater need for vacuum by the breaks.

Now there is also supposed to be a vacuum check valve on the vaccum supply line to the N75. This is to prevent any positive pressure, or even atmospheric, to enter back into the vacuum system. I do not know if the presence of the check valve mitigates the need for the reservoir, or vise versa, but VW configured the MKIV vehicles with both.

I've used Jones products on several cars. I spoke to their techs on several of occasions. IIRC, the muffler you bought is a clone of a Magnaflow. I think there's a flow test showing that it flows better than the Magnaflow.

-Todd
I can vouch that if money wasn't too much of an issue that the Aero Turbine mufflers are superb. Have you had anyone complain your diesel is too quiet? Mine isn't silent, though it's a straight through muffler that tones everything down, though allows you to hear the turbo a bit.

Last edited:

fletcher0780

Veteran Member
TDI
none

-Todd
Yeah, I'm going to try my luck with the A4 part and see if I can make it work. It's already ordered and was like $15-$20 cheaper through kerma.

To be honest, I just bought the cheapest ss muffler and pipe I could find. The muffler appears well built and looks very similar to magnaflow. I'm curious to see how this thing sounds once I get it back together. If it's annoying, I can always add a resonator where the cat is supposed to go.

On the MKIV's there is a ball that acts as a reservoir that is near the vacuum pump. Since the break booster requires vacuum (I'm not familiar with the system entirely, please check the forum. I know there was recent conversation about this) and now the turbo does as well, it allows more vaccum (that sounds so wrong since a vaccum is negative pressure) to be in the system in case there is a leak or a greater need for vacuum by the breaks.
Now there is also supposed to be a vacuum check valve on the vaccum supply line to the N75. This is to prevent any positive pressure, or even atmospheric, to enter back into the vacuum system. I do not know if the presence of the check valve mitigates the need for the reservoir, or vise versa, but VW configured the MKIV vehicles with both.
I can vouch that if money wasn't too much of an issue that the Aero Turbine mufflers are superb. Have you had anyone complain your diesel is too quiet? Mine isn't silent, though it's a straight through muffler that tones everything down, though allows you to hear the turbo a bit.
OK, I know what you'r talking about now, I was thinking check valve when you said ball. I don't have the mk4 one, but can grab something from a junker to increase the vacuum reservoir of the system if needed. Once I get it back on the road I need to figure out what to do about nozzles. I've got cheapo veg .205's in there now, but think I may be leaving power on the table by not going bigger and better quality. Maybe pp764's?

This whole project is based on how cheap I can do everything. I think I have about $2200 into the entire car now.