My 5-speed is now a 3-speed.

ibanix

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
Hello all. I've been off the forums for a long time due to lots of life issues - divorce, and moved cross country (I'm in Connecticut now).

Last August my TDI (see details in sig) lost 5th gear; no engagement on shifter and no gear engagement. Behaved as if in neutral. I did an adjustment on the shifter linkage on top of the transmission with no change in results.

Didn't have much time or money so I did without 5th gear - including driving entirely across country. Today on my way to relatives, got a tremendous rattle from the transmissions and then 4th gear was gone in just the same way.

Lots of clutch/transmission rattle when in 1st-3rd gear and with clutch pedal to the floor.

Anyone have any ideas here - am I looking at a complete new transmission?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Given that you probably lost 4th gear because it ate a chunk of metal that has been flying around inside the transmission ... I'd just get another transmission. Now that you've lost another gear, there is now even more shrapnel inside.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
ya, I was gonna ask if you ever inspected behind the end cover to see what happened to your 5th gear.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
but then he will have to refill the gear oil, which is an whole other thing.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
ibanix said:
Well, I've got a new tranny ordered. May as well replace it if I'm going to have it pulled.
__. Hey, Ib, sorry to hear about all your problems. A botched up .658 gear swap damaged the rear shaft on my transmission. At that point, it was pretty much the same situation for me as you are in now. I found a couple of well recommended VW transmission rebuilders but there are problems -- mainly in that it's pretty expensive in labor just to take one apart (special tools needed) and also that a minimum rebuild kit (gaskets, "normal wear" parts, and bearings, etc.) is pretty expensive. On top of this "minimum cost", you have to buy new parts to replace anything broken or damaged and those parts aren't cheap. All this adds up to bottom line that VW transmissions are expensive to rebuild. If you could find a good used one or a new one at a reasonable price, you have almost certainly made the right decision.

__. Sorry it works out that way (ouch on the $$$$), but that's the situation as I found it.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Sorry to hear about the bad break Ibanix. Glad to see you back on the club though! Now your in the NE, that's like the hub of TDI-ville LOL. All kinds of GTG's, dyno days, etc...