My 22/60 install/ALH build thread, pics inside

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
99, white,2 door golf and 98, white, Jetta
Sorry for the lack of updates! I've been out enjoying the car :D

I got the car re-tuned with the .240 race nozzles and the car was not fun. No low end, no smoke, no power. I couldn't run Jeff's 35psi tune and my 4bar map was useless. I was all around bummed. I needed more fuel.

I ordered some .275 nozzles from Ryan and I set a date with Jeff to have round 2. That day was ALL smiles! New nozzles went in, I put the 4bar map back in, and 35psi tune was tweaked to perfection. The car feels great, pulls like a freight train, plenty of power everywhere!

I'm having a sporadically problem with what i believe with the in-tank pump. The car will run out of fuel after a hard pull and stall sometimes. After i get that sorted a dyno will follow shortly.

NoJoke

Veteran Member

I got the car re-tuned with the .240 race nozzles and the car was not fun. No low end, no smoke, no power. I couldn't run Jeff's 35psi tune and my 4bar map was useless. I was all around bummed. I needed more fuel.

I ordered some .275 nozzles from Ryan and I set a date with Jeff to have round 2. That day was ALL smiles! New nozzles went in, I put the 4bar map back in, and 35psi tune was tweaked to perfection. The car feels great, pulls like a freight train, plenty of power everywhere!

I'm having a sporadically problem with what i believe with the in-tank pump. The car will run out of fuel after a hard pull and stall sometimes. After i get that sorted a dyno will follow shortly.
Happy to hear! Are there any dyno's near you I would like to come down and compare(expenses on me!). Maybe a Saturday morning in the coming months?

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Those nozzles do deliver. I know I loved mine for the brief time things held together! :p

08jetvette

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Good to hear. One of these days when I get off my lazy rear, I might get mine finished. Need to build the intercooler pipes and I'll be done.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Yeah stop been lazy!! haha

Glad to hear everything is going smoothly, I am sure most of you Darkside Kit customers will agree, what you lose at the bottom with a GTB2260VK is more than made up for across the rest of the rev range. We have fitted and mapped a 4 or 5 kits in the last couple of weeks and I had forgotten how well they go on the 1.9 8v Engines (we have been doing a lot of 2.0 16vs lately), can't wait to get my MK2 done now!

BTW to any Turbo Kit customers reading, I need pics and specs of your cars for the website! We have sold over 60 kits and I have a handful of projects on the 'Customers Cars' page!

Cheers

Ry

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Happy to hear! Are there any dyno's near you I would like to come down and compare(expenses on me!). Maybe a Saturday morning in the coming months?
There is a dyno here at work (NGP). The Dynojet optical RPM pickup is a real pain in the ass to set up, but we could probally do a Saturday.

Those nozzles do deliver. I know I loved mine for the brief time things held together! :p
Your motor popped?

I'm tuning a 17/22 setup with them right now, pretty fun ;)
You'll have plenty of fuel!

Good to hear. One of these days when I get off my lazy rear, I might get mine finished. Need to build the intercooler pipes and I'll be done.
You'll love it once it's finished.

Yeah stop been lazy!! haha

Glad to hear everything is going smoothly, I am sure most of you Darkside Kit customers will agree, what you lose at the bottom with a GTB2260VK is more than made up for across the rest of the rev range. We have fitted and mapped a 4 or 5 kits in the last couple of weeks and I had forgotten how well they go on the 1.9 8v Engines (we have been doing a lot of 2.0 16vs lately), can't wait to get my MK2 done now!

BTW to any Turbo Kit customers reading, I need pics and specs of your cars for the website! We have sold over 60 kits and I have a handful of projects on the 'Customers Cars' page!

Cheers

Ry
Sorry I've been super busy amigo. The bottom end power feels great now with the .275 nozzles and new RC6 35psi tune. I have some good pictures but i can't post them anywhere yet. Not until i know if they are used for the feature yet. I'll get some info/pics over to you soon though.

ps - You have a PM.

NoJoke

Veteran Member
NGP looks to be in MD about 2 hours away...as soon as I straighten out my lift pump situation I'm ready. Also I would like to test out the 7 hole nozzles. Will PM you to arrange hopefully late Sepetember or beginning of October.

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds good, just let me know.

410-994-0000

Arno

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
How about smoke / egt with These .275 nozzles ?
You runs at full duration. Iq 2.0 ?
I get my gtb2260 soon

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Great build arno.... If I can get my bottom end going right, I would love to follow in your footsteps w/ the Ry's kit.... Love the 2 door Golf white ;)

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
I took off the 90deg hose i had with the 17/22 and used a 3" long 2" diameter straight section (the piping was originally built for a vnt17).
I would love to see how you connected to your existing ic piping to Ryan's kit... Next time you get under your car, pls take and post some pics of how you connected to the turbo.
Congrats... Such a clean and minimalist installation... A real inspiration...

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Guys, thought i would update the thread. I hit a deer Sunday night in the Golf. It really sucks because i just bought drag radials last week and had a dyno scheduled for the 13th. I'm pretty bummed but hopefully it all works out.

:(

How is your mileage with the kit installed? City? Highway?
Sorry i didn't see this before. Mileage is pretty much the same with normal driving. The needle drops if i have my foot in it a lot. Probally between high 30s and low 40s with mixed driving.

How about smoke / egt with These .275 nozzles ?
You runs at full duration. Iq 2.0 ?
I get my gtb2260 soon
Not much smoke at WOT. The 35PSI tune cleans things up nicely.

Great build arno.... If I can get my bottom end going right, I would love to follow in your footsteps w/ the Ry's kit.... Love the 2 door Golf white ;)
Thanks man, it's a great kit, I love it.

My God this thread is tasty...
Thanks!

this thread needs VIDEOS!!!
Such a nice car. Any drag times?
Everything is on a sight hold for now until shes fixed.

I would love to see how you connected to your existing ic piping to Ryan's kit... Next time you get under your car, pls take and post some pics of how you connected to the turbo.
Congrats... Such a clean and minimalist installation... A real inspiration...
When i had the 17/22 i used a 1.8t turbo outlet 90deg hose. The fitment with Ryan's kit is the same as the vnt17 with slip on adapter welded in (which is what i had the piping built around). I'll try and remember to snap some pics next time she's up. Thanks again, i really appreciate the kind words. It helps make all the work worthwhile.

NoJoke

Veteran Member
Doesn't look that bad, still looks good even crashed:D....I'm having issues of my own(injection pump)

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
You need nozzles that big?....mine were R520's and poured black smoke that would block out the sun at full chat. I put smaller ones in.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
You need nozzles that big?....mine were R520's and poured black smoke that would block out the sun at full chat. I put smaller ones in.
With 2260vk, ported head, cam, and 35psi? What pop pressures?

I only had that happen with VNT-17 + R520s. Not enough air..

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Doesn't look that bad, still looks good even crashed:D....I'm having issues of my own(injection pump)
Haha, thanks. Let me know when you get it sorted.

I have an actuator arm bushing that is leaking a little soot from the exhaust housing. It would be nice to get this fixed before a dyno but not %100 necessary.

It seems that is does. My car still has a stock 11mm pump. At wot it is virtually smokeless. I'll get my 1/4 video soon so you can see.

With 2260vk, ported head, cam, and 35psi? What pop pressures?
I only had that happen with VNT-17 + R520s. Not enough air..
I'm not sure on my pop pressures, but the R520s with my 17/22 was very smokey.

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
96TDI Passat, 1.6 81d caddy, 86d golf, 82d rabbit, 81ALH caddy, 82 Westy
Very nice build! The Darkside kit is a work of art! Read the whole thread 2x. Super nice.

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice build,sorry for the accident
Thanks man, I'll get it back together sometime this year...

Very nice build! The Darkside kit is a work of art! Read the whole thread 2x. Super nice.
I really do love it, thanks for the kind words. I talked to you at Sowo this past year when i saw your truck. My dad has had the same exact truck (red, 1.6L Diesel, 5 speed, red interior) since 1982.

fouckhest

Veteran Member
TDI
.:GTD, .:R32, DangerRanger
I talked to you at Sowo this past year
i can only assume you will be at SoWo again this year?

we might need to find some time to get together, make some smoke and maybe snap a few photos of the two diesel beasts! :cool:

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
i can only assume you will be at SoWo again this year?

we might need to find some time to get together, make some smoke and maybe snap a few photos of the two diesel beasts! :cool:
Can I play too? My favorite show of the year.