My 2015 Golf TDI

Jmartz

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
I picked up my '15 Golf TDI SEL today from Trend Motors in Rockaway, NJ. The car arrived on Thursday morning they inspected it and got it ready for me to test it out and deliver it to me this morning.

I have about 50 miles on her so far. I have noticed the Turbo Lag going from first to second gear from a complete stop at traffic lights. Friend told me it should get better as the engine breaks in.

I have the automatic, the shifting is very smooth.

The interior is awesome.

The radio is awesome.

Power mirrors are awesome!

Coming from a Jeep Wrangler this car is a luxury item. It was sad to see them take the Jeep away after I finished signing for the Golf but it was time to get something more efficient. I just need to equip my Golf with the right accessories to make my bike carrying experience a breeze. So I am looking to get some roof rails.

Anyone have any recommendation? The OEM roof rails and their bike mount for the roof rails seem to be the cheapest and easiest option. Thule require a fit kit, then you have to buy the foot kit and then the rails all separately. Adds up to about $800 when all is said and done. VW I can get everything I need for about $650... does anyone have any experience with their bike stuff though? Is it reliable? Rugged?

I want to put a hitch on the Golf but the owners manual states that putting a hitch and towing will cause the engine to overheat which will not be covered by the warranty. Having never dealt with VW before, how strict are they about this stuff? If they see a hitch even if it only carries a bike will they use that to try and void my warranty if I go in there with an overheated transmission because of some other cause?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jmartz

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
I would post a picture but it will not let me. I got the Platinum Gray Metallic color...

fowvey

Veteran Member
TDI
(2014 Jetta TDI DSG) -Gone, but not forgotten, 2014 Audi A6 TDI
I want to put a hitch on the Golf but the owners manual states that putting a hitch and towing will cause the engine to overheat which will not be covered by the warranty. Having never dealt with VW before, how strict are they about this stuff?
Thanks,
Jeff
This is like saying do not take hard turns because your tires will wear more quickly. Of course anything could cause your engine to overheat under the right circumstances. The DSG transmissions are not designed to tow. An automatic transmission, generally speaking, is. DSG's and automatics are not the same thing.

That being said, some members on here tow with their DSG's and have reported no problems. If you will be towing a 6x4 utility trailer with a few sheets of plywood, no problems. Towing a steel trailer with another car on it? Death Sentence Guaranteed (DSG :D). The dealer would probably criticize you for having a hitch on there, but more the reason to leave them once the carefree and warranty stuff expire.

I've traveled 200 miles from 1000ft to 8000ft at 75mph with a fully loaded car and the transmission didn't even flinch. Do a quick search and you'll find many members have towed with their DSG and have had no problems.

Enjoy your car! I'm wanting one now!

JayOdom

TDI
2011 JSW
I too went from a Jeep Wrangler (TJ '98 Model), but to a JSW w/DSG. I believe I'm driving a High-end Luxury Automobile now and who wouldn't believe that coming from what is essentially a Go-Cart with a lift kit.

I was able to keep my Jeep though. It was my dad's before he passed and if I ever decide I don't want it, the assumption is I give it to my brother.

What kind of wrangler did you have?

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
Those wheels are awesome, make them black and that car the best looking one around...

Jmartz

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
Sweet! I drove home tonight from work and the headlights although not those Xenon things are still pretty bright. I don't even want to know what the light kit does... this thing has foot well lighting, accent lighting on the door... a light in the glove box a light in the back cargo area... lots and lots of lights.

The instrument cluster is really nicely laid out also. The radio controls are nice, it basically goes into my phone and I can control everything from the steering wheel...

I averaged 38mpg going about 15 miles to the parking lot where I get on the bus to go to work. Not too shabby. It's about 3 miles of road and the rest highway.

Oh, and the horn on this thing is LOUD it puts my Jeep to shame...

I had a 2009 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with almost 100,000 miles on it. I got the dealer to give me a fair trade-in for the truck. I could have probably gotten another $3,000 privately but at almost 100,000 miles I decided to cut my losses and run. Plus I saved about $1000 in taxes because in NJ you pay tax on the price of the new car AFTER you subtract the trade-in value... so I made out alright.

What's the secret for posting pictures?

Jmartz

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
Older Jeeps are built to last forever. The newer JK's will not hold up like the older ones.

I'm hoping that the VW's will last a long time... I'd like to keep this thing for at least 10 years... or longer.

Only thing concerning to me is this AdBlue stuff. I don't see any way to tell how much or little is left of that stuff... I'm thinking I will buy a gallon and keep it at home just in case and when I go on longer trips keep the stuff in the car...

Oh and I discovered all the little secret compartments and stuff tonight. I read through the manual and there's a little hidden space to keep stuff organized. The Jeep was free-for-all just toss it in and go!

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
Very nice love the color. Looking forward to getting my MKVII in the early spring of 2015.
Your car looks super clean as is, I would not change a thing. Just drive it and enjoy. Do your regular service
and will be good for many thousand miles.
Never could understand the black wheel thing you need some contrast between the tires and wheel wells or the
tires and wheels become invisible.

Last edited:

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Congratulation for buying Golf. However buying a Passat would have been much nicer as it is more spacious. How many HP you Golf TDI has?

FreezingInSask

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK6 TDI
sweet! I drove home tonight from work and the headlights although not those xenon things are still pretty bright. I don't even want to know what the light kit does... This thing has foot well lighting, accent lighting on the door... A light in the glove box a light in the back cargo area... Lots and lots of lights.
The instrument cluster is really nicely laid out also. The radio controls are nice, it basically goes into my phone and i can control everything from the steering wheel...
I averaged 38mpg going about 15 miles to the parking lot where i get on the bus to go to work. Not too shabby. It's about 3 miles of road and the rest highway.
Oh, and the horn on this thing is loud it puts my jeep to shame...
I had a 2009 wrangler unlimited sahara with almost 100,000 miles on it. I got the dealer to give me a fair trade-in for the truck. I could have probably gotten another $3,000 privately but at almost 100,000 miles i decided to cut my losses and run. Plus i saved about $1000 in taxes because in nj you pay tax on the price of the new car after you subtract the trade-in value... So i made out alright.
what's the secret for posting pictures?

warbird24

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Congrats on the New Golf!

But....

Some day you just might want that Jeep Back! LOL. Most wouldn't understand.

I am lucky, I have my 2011 TDI that still after 60K miles, I love and adore. Then I have my 2012 Jeep Wrangler with just 8.5K miles that is my fair weather car for those days that I just need to unwind, and have the wind in what is LEFT of my hair.

It is nice going out into the garage and picking which one goes for the drive. I love both vehicles, and bought them for what they in turn give back to me. A lot of thought went into both purchases.

Enjoy the TDI!

Jmartz

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
Thanks! So a few days into this I have 200 miles on the tank and still more than half a tank left. The computer readout says I have about 315 miles left on the tank of fuel... 500 miles on a tank... incredible! Can probably do better but I've been driving mixed highway and streets. The real test will be in September when I have a road trip to northern Vermont planned. It's about 680 miles round trip. Will I make it up and back on one tank with a roof rack and a bike on the roof? We will see...

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
Hi Jeff:

Thanks for posting the picture of your car. The paint colour looks really, really good, I am impressed.

Michael

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
This is like saying do not take hard turns because your tires will wear more quickly. Of course anything could cause your engine to overheat under the right circumstances. The DSG transmissions are not designed to tow. An automatic transmission, generally speaking, is. DSG's and automatics are not the same thing.

That being said, some members on here tow with their DSG's and have reported no problems. If you will be towing a 6x4 utility trailer with a few sheets of plywood, no problems. Towing a steel trailer with another car on it? Death Sentence Guaranteed (DSG :D). The dealer would probably criticize you for having a hitch on there, but more the reason to leave them once the carefree and warranty stuff expire.

I've traveled 200 miles from 1000ft to 8000ft at 75mph with a fully loaded car and the transmission didn't even flinch. Do a quick search and you'll find many members have towed with their DSG and have had no problems.

Enjoy your car! I'm wanting one now!
Crazy every where else in the world DSG can tow similar if not higher loads than the manual. Its an issue with VW0A not the DSG, as the Audi has no such restrictions put on it, and it only comes with a DSG

If I go by the factory tow ratings from UK...My car could tow something around 3000lbs, and 1500lbs w/o brakes

Last edited:

Jmartz

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
Week in and I have a quarter tank left. 380 miles so far. Pretty good... I've been doing a lot of running around on local roads. Mixed highway. I will fill up tonight and do some math to see what I am averaging... I'm guessing still much better mileage than my Jeep... I got my license plates today. My old Jeep is sitting in the parking lot still.

I need to find a hitch for this thing. The roof rack is nice, I'm going to keep the cross bars but after a few rides I think I do prefer having the bikes on the back and not the roof... any idea where a decent hitch could be found? I'm assuming I will need to wait a little bit... I bought the carrier at REI so I have a year to sort this hitch out.

dcc

Veteran Member
Congrats on the new Golf :)
Are the footwell lights in the front only or are they for all 4 footwells?
Thanks

NoSmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2K2 Golf
I'll check the light tonight for you!

I'm trying to figure out if the rear-end is the same between the 15 Golf and 15 GTI. Draw-Tite says this hitch is compatible with with the 15 GTI:

http://www.draw-tite.com/products/t...tframe-hitch/WfzaCtfZMf25wM9znIGUwhASEb!AZSeU

I would hate to buy it then try to install it and not have it fit. Anyone have any insight?
The GTI has IRS and the TDI does not. That may or may not signify rear body differences (these hitches bolt on to the body do they not?). Also, the GTI is a 3 door (vs 5 door).

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
I love the color! Very sharp. Is that essentially the same united gray metallic I have on my 2010?

(Please don't take the following random thought as criticism)
I'm still having a bit of trouble either visually or style(istically) with the little triangular window glass by the mirrors. It doesn't look bad from the outside, but from interior photos it's a whole new deal.

... Waiting somewhat patiently for the GSW TDI release in early 2015 ...

Last edited: