My 2013 Passat Totaled in an Accident Last Month

dst5

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2013 TDI
My insurance settlement was much better then I hoped.
I paid 27K + tax and Lic for my 2013 Passat TDI SE Manual Transmission and the car had 120,000 miles on it.

I received a payout of $15,600 from the insurance company.

I went out and bought a fully loaded 2016 Hyuandi Sonata Hybrid all the bells and whistles. All the collision warning devices as well as HID lights and ventilated front seats a smart cruse control and way more then that.

I paid 29,000 + tax and lic for the car with rebates and discounts. It certainly does not handle like a Passat but I do get about 3 more MPG driving the same route as my Passat and it has an automatic transmission.

If TDIs were available I probably would have bought another one of them but I am very pleased with the Sonata. Just wanted to check in.

weightloss400

TDI
2013 Passat sel
Those hid lights make a difference , I'm waiting to see what the newer passats have to offer . Curious on what's going to be done with this whole diesel gate scandal mess !!!! What made you choose the Hyundai ?

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
An option to consider for the future... take the $15,600, then buy the car back from your insurance company and fixed it.

dst5

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2013 TDI
When I was choosing a car here were the considerations
1) at least 40 MPG
2) HID headlights
3) Under $30,000

The Sonata Hybrid fit those requirements better then any other car plus the lifetime battery warranty and I purchased a bumper to bumper 120K warranty ($100 deductible) directly from Hyundai not a third party contract for $1500.

The option I like the most other then the HID Lights is the smart cruise control I never saw a reason for it till i had one.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
ddst5: I have read that in today's decision you will be compensated by VW if there is a monetary difference between what your insurance settlement was and what it would be if you were able to sell the car back to VW. You may want to check on that when the info comes out later on today/next month.

mtbsteve

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/roof and nav
I just posted this on Vortex so sorry if you see the same post twice. Check it to see what they valued the car at vs insurance payout. You might need to follow a different calculation compared to my example since I will hopefully still be driving it through October, at least up until that date.

For us Passat TDI guys, go to this link.

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/162-3006/volkswagen-group-america-inc

Then, go to Table 1A.
- Go to year, trim level and region.
- Adjust based on options, if applicable.
- The bigger $# is trading it back to VW, the second column is if you just want $ and an eventual fix.

Then, go to Table 2C.
- Adjust for mileage. Read the instructions, take your estimated mileage for Oct 2016 (earliest this becomes available) and subtract based on the instructions.

For example, a 2012 Passat TDI SE w/sunroof and navigation, in New England, with an estimated 88k miles in October = $19,637. This is total compensation.

TDI SE in New England: $19,997
Sunroof + $630
Navigation +$750
Mileage adjustment -$1,740
= $19,637

dst5

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2013 TDI
I actually got more from my insurance company

22,637 Basic Value 2013 SE Manual transmission
-930 Manual transmission
-6870 Mileage adjustment 125K
Total compensation would be $14,837 about $800 less then I received from the insurance company.

Thanks for the information

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I actually got more from my insurance company

22,637 Basic Value 2013 SE Manual transmission
-930 Manual transmission
-6870 Mileage adjustment 125K
Total compensation would be $14,837 about $800 less then I received from the insurance company.

Thanks for the information
Don't be too sure. The compensation and mileage chart are so convoluted, you may be missing an additional mileage adjustment. Wait until the have the actual compensation web site set up and see what it says. You could be off be several thousand dollars, or you could be completely correct. That chart just isn't clear enough.

tjsadler

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6m
According to the current settlement terms you are an "Eligible Seller" and can receive about $2,500 in compensation from VW but you must register within 45 days of the final settlement date or whenever registration is open. Definitely don't leave that on the table!

dst5

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2013 TDI
Where did you find that information?

According to the current settlement terms you are an "Eligible Seller" and can receive about $2,500 in compensation from VW but you must register within 45 days of the final settlement date or whenever registration is open. Definitely don't leave that on the table!
Where did you find that information? I will look into that any detailed information is appreciated