My 2006 is very hard to drive straight

cujet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I have only one issue with my 06 jetta. While driving at 40 or more MPH, the car wanders in the lane. It takes constant correction to keep the car in the lane. To other drivers it must look like we are drunk. At high speeds it is even worse.

BTW, I have a Mazda Miata with very precise steering, so I clearly know what good is.

This is driving me nuts, as I can feel the lateral "G"s as the car wanders from side to side. I am sure that viewed from the rear, both our heads move in sync with the cars steering issues.

I have no idea what is causing this. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Chris

Crispy_8V

TDI
Mk1/A1 Golf GTTDI, Mk4 GTDI & Corrado TDI
they should drive very straight, get it back the dealers to sort it.
could be you've hit something or somethings not right in front suspension
either way they should check it out, hopefully just align the suspension

should be covered by warranty, unless you've damaged something, or a duff tyre

MPGeez!

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Black TDI 5M PK2
Somethings obviously not right with your Jetta. My '06 tracks like it's on rails even at high speeds...one of the things I like most about it.

bretley42

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (of course) Platinum Grey - Pkg1/XM + Nav.
one thing to try

One thing to try is this:

Get to a lane on the highway, and do not correct the minor wind and other normal moves not directed by you.

These cars will correct themselves and I suspect you are fighting it (by fighting it, I mean correcting before or as it does).

There was a lot of talk on the Vortex about this at first as well.

This may not be the case, but with correct tire pressure, it is a likely suspect.

It drove me nuts for a while, now I've gotten used to it, and actually enjoy it.

-b

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
Is it possible that you are bouncing off the ruts in the highway? There's certain lanes that we stay out of in certain areas for this very reason. I haven't had the issues as much in the Jetta as I did in the Rover, but have noticed it once or twice.

cujet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
As a race car driver and overall driving enthusiast, I do know the ropes with regard to road crown and wind. I did try to let go of the wheel and the car will veer off the road in short order. However it must be said that the road crown is probably at fault.

Driving with fingertips only does help, but it is a struggle. My wife cannot do it at all.

It seems to me that some form of yaw control is at fault. I remember reading somewhere that this car has a system to counteract wind or road crown.

Driving me nuts!

BTW, the car has 400 miles on it. So far, we have hit nothing with it.

Chris

Leedogg

Veteran Member
TDI
Present: 05 Passat TDI Past: 06 Jetta TDI
I too noticed this sensation at first- but like bentley42 said- I have gotten used to how to drive it. it has VERY sensitive steering and the slightest hand movement and you will feel it begining to move. Yours may have a problem- but I was over driving the car when I first got mine...took a few thousand miles to get used to.

EDIT- yep that is exactly how mine feels(just read your post above this one)

Last edited:

cobrawilly

TDI
2006 Jetta
Yea, I would say you have a problem with your steering , my jetta steers better than any american made car that I've owned. It's very tight and would be great on any road coarse, both me and my wife love it.Go see your dealer and good luck I have problems with good customer service in my area.

DrewD

Veteran Member
Yep, the 06 appears to have more sensitive steering than my 04. Then again, my 04 had 42k miles on it and its steering and suspension were probably not as tight.

Jimwsea

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf GL
Back in '85 I bought a new Golf (wow, only 9 grand incl. tax and license!). The steering wheel shook over 35 mph. The dealer replaced an out-of-round tire. I would start there and hope that takes care the problem.

hairball

TDI
soon
I just picked up my 06 Jetta today and also have a hard time driving strait. The steering is so sensitive it must look like I’m drunk. I’m to used to my 97 dodge 4X4.

shutterfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
That's really odd. From my experience my jetta is among the best in steering handling. The electronic steering can adjust to road slop, wind, etc. And I really feel it's working as I have a much easier time adjusting to road slop no matter on highway or city....

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
Have your car scanned for Steering Assist, Controller 44
Settings on the Jetta are 0 through 5, and 5 has been widely reported as the "wanderer".
My Jetta came in as "3" and I like it, while others that were set to "5" reported wandering all over the road.
A setting of "2" or "3" will satisfy you.

Controller 44, adaptation 10, channel 1, read the Value, then adjust to a lower number.

(HEX+CAN-USB, or -COM, VAG-COM)
(edited for correctness)

Last edited:

fish_on

TDI
2010 Jetta, White, DSG
I had the same problem when mine was new, the steering wheel was also off center just a tad. The car would wander all over the place and seemed like it just never knew where it wanted to go. I took it back to the dealer to have the wheel straightened, when it came back the wheel was straight and the car drove like it was on rails, night and day difference.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
cujet said:
Thank you Tim! It looks like I need a Vag Com. Can the dealer do this? They do not seem too smart.

Chris
Yes, the Dealership can make the adjustments, but will they?
That is the rub.
I scanned another "new" TDI and it was set to "5", and I offered to change it for the owner, but he indicated that he liked it.
Based on quite a few reports on the Vortex, I would say with 95% certainty that you are running a "5".
The other 5% could be a myriad of things related to alignment and tires.

Leedogg

Veteran Member
TDI
Present: 05 Passat TDI Past: 06 Jetta TDI
Tim Birney said:
Have your car scanned for Steering Assist, Controller 44
Settings on the Jetta are 0 through 5, and 5 has been widely reported as the "wanderer".
My Jetta came in as "3" and I like it, while others that were set to "5" reported wandering all over the road.
A setting of "2" or "3" will satisfy you.

Controller 44, adaptation 10, channel 1, read the Value, then adjust to a lower number.

(HEX+CAN-USB, or -COM, VAG-COM)
(edited for correctness)

Yet another quirk..I guess I am gonna have to check into this VAG-com tool...apparently you need it to undo alot of stuff!LOL I was trying to avoid it....dang.:D

RAST

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI
Just for fun yesterday I set mine to "5" and tried it for my drive in to work (about 40 miles). WOW.

On 5 you end up bouncing around in your lane, constantly over-correcting your over-correction. I felt like I was driving a ping-pong ball.

I set it back to 3 and it was rock solid again. I haven't tried 2 yet - still recovering from the trauma :)

cujet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Steering changes

My dealer says there is a law passed that prevents him from modifying the OEM settings. That is the kind of service I REALLY like:)

He claimed that only the steering effort is adjustable. Is this the case? Or is the sensitivity adjustable.

Thanks!

Chris

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
I test drove one with the 17" wheels and it was very twitchy. WOuld be a pain to drive long-distance.
Our's with the stock 16's drives dead-perfect straight.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
cujet said:
So does a setting of 3 equal stiffer steering?

Chris
"2" or "3" are in the middle of the band that is from 0 to 5.
Most people that report "wandering" are set to "5", and people that report switching from "5" down to "2" or "3" report better control at highway speeds. The adjustment is to the electronic assist curves, and does not change the Steering Ratio/Rate, just the assist.
Setting to "3" is stiffer than "5", but probably no different than any normal car with power steering. Switching to "0" would give you the impression of "Stiff", or precise steering at highway speeds. The assist is pretty much the same at all settings when you are trying to park, or pull out of a driveway.

Note: if two TDIs came off of the lot, one set to "3" and one set to "5", then there is no consistency, and the Dealer can LEGALLY modify that setting, if for no other reason than to insure consistency. How many sales can they lose if the prospective buyer drives a car that wanders all over the road?

Deansel

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta w/DSG, pkg1, Blue Graphite
fish_on said:
I had the same problem when mine was new, the steering wheel was also off center just a tad. The car would wander all over the place and seemed like it just never knew where it wanted to go. I took it back to the dealer to have the wheel straightened, when it came back the wheel was straight and the car drove like it was on rails, night and day difference.
That pretty well describes our car - do you know what they did to fix it?

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
Deansel said:
That pretty well describes our car - do you know what they did to fix it?
They probably did exactly what was written in post #16 to this thread! ;)

Deansel

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta w/DSG, pkg1, Blue Graphite
DieselDavid said:
They probably did exactly what was written in post #16 to this thread! ;)
But how does that affect the steering wheel being off center? I would like to know if it needs to go to a dealer and get fixed via software or to an alignment shop for the traditional fix.

Last edited:

DrewD

Veteran Member
Can anyone who got their dealer to do this for them scan a copy of the work order so I can use it to convince my dealer that this is ok to do.
Thanks,
Drew