My 2005 Golf TDI Fires The Quits on Startup

starguy

TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI Red 2000 Golf GLS TDI Silver
I have a 2005 Golf TDI with the BEW Engine. I have recently had a starting problem and would like to know if anyone has had this problem & what the fix is.

It's been warm here in Wisconsin hovering around freezing. Last week I went out to start the TDI and it momentarily fired & the quit. No amount of cranking after that would get it started. After a few days I went out and pulled and checked all the fuses that would have anything to do with the engine. All were good, especially the fuel pump fuse. I did replace the fuel pump in the tank about 4 years ago. I can hear the pump run for a bit before turning the key.

After pulling & replacing the fuses the car started. I tried it every day for a few days & it started every time. A few days ago I went out to start it and again it initially fired and then died & wouldn't start again.

It has been some time since I replaced the fuel filter so I ordered one up & will install it today. I'll check to make sure that the pump is pushing fuel through the filter.

Any one have this problem before? Thanks.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
No chance it’s the immobilizer? I’ve have a rogue key that isn’t chipped or whatever and if I use it to try and start it starts then quits immediately and a yellow key icon flashes on the dash. Doesn’t sound likely for you but just thought I’d throw it out there in case. Good luck !

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
When you first turn the ley on do all the normal dash lights come on?
When it stalls can you scan it for codes?