My 2003 New Beetle - BlueBoy

MarkO-Indy2

TDI
2002 Beetle TDI, 5-speed
I have a 2002 the same color, bought from the original owner 8-years ago and don't ever plan on getting rid of it. The sum of the dollars are not close to the sum of the enjoyment of having a car that you enjoy and love to drive.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Very impressive David. Sadly, I wasn't in a financial position to spend as much on my 2002 (same color), as my next big project is doing an engine rebuild on my 1941 Ford 9N tractor (also a flathead engine).

And I'm still appalled someone would disrespect your work and offer you scrap value for it. I'm thinking jealousy or just another TDIclub troll.

Question on your Bosal hitch - what is the tongue weight limit on it? And what class hitch is the Bosal? Did you order from Europe, or someone here in the US? I'm still trying to do my research, as I'd like the same on my '10 JSW for light-medium duty towing (about 2500 pounds). Did you install a brake controller on your Beetle, or will you be towing trailers without brakes?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
IIRC the Bosal hitch is rated 165 lb tongue and 3300 lb tow. It is the Euro hitch specifically made for the Beetle. Ordered from IDParts. No brake controller as I won't be towing anything that big at this point any way. People are entitled to their opinions just as I am entitled to ignore them if I choose.

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
Dweisel's Diesel, 2000 Blue Beetle 5 speed
I could have reduced that to around $4500 total if I had not cracked the oil pan and just left it in the shape it was in. But I had just had a new car and I wanted this one to be like new, and it is now. A friend of mine just bought a new gas Beetle for $17k. Mine is as nice as his almost and much cheaper and more economical. My plan is to have it for a very long time. It isn't the thing most people do though. Here are my other cars, both with flathead V8's:

Nice cars, the advantage of living in TEXAS!
I see why you were so helful to me in the questions I had for a 2003 NB. Wonderful work, very ambitious!

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Nice job, Lightflyer! Impressive!

I'm going to start on a 2003 Jetta TDI 5 speed build (resurrection) this month that has 300K on it. I just bought it from the original owner for $750. Runs good, has a Kerma tune, it's a GLS, all original including the entire suspension!

Car gas been in Wisconsin most of its life. Front fenders are toast.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Sounds like quite a job. I am currently working on a 2002 Excursion 7.3l diesel I just bought. I should put tow bars on my Beetle and tow it behind the Excursion.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Sounds like quite a job. I am currently working on a 2002 Excursion 7.3l diesel I just bought. I should put tow bars on my Beetle and tow it behind the Excursion.
It's going to be a good size job, for sure. I was reviewing your build thread to get ideas on what suspension parts you went with.

Those Excursion's are quite big. I worked with a guy that had one with a diesel. You will have to post a few pictures once you get along with it.

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice job, Lightflyer! Impressive!
I'm going to start on a 2003 Jetta TDI 5 speed build (resurrection) this month that has 300K on it. I just bought it from the original owner for $750. Runs good, has a Kerma tune, it's a GLS, all original including the entire suspension!
Car gas been in Wisconsin most of its life. Front fenders are toast.
Please post pix on you're rebuild as well. I'm sure something I get will be a driving work-in-progress.

Good luck,
Dave

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
10 Jetta 13 Beetle Convertible 15 GSW
You have done everything to your Beetle that most of us have been wanting to do but cannot afford to. I am happy for you and wish your car lots of enjoyable miles! Let the haters hate, but if you can afford to fix it up, why not? Like you said, it's not for sale and you plan on keeping it and getting use out of it!

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
You have done everything to your Beetle that most of us have been wanting to do but cannot afford to. I am happy for you and wish your car lots of enjoyable miles! Let the haters hate, but if you can afford to fix it up, why not? Like you said, it's not for sale and you plan on keeping it and getting use out of it!
Agreed! Fix it for comfort, speed, handling, and then, drive the wheels off of it!:D Dave.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Thanks all! It is doing fine and handles my commute and single driving needs very well. It looks very nice and is in great condition now. I get compliments/offers for it quite often. I have been driving my new 2002 Excursion 7.3l diesel to see what kind of economy it gets. 17 mpg in town isn't too bad for a mountain of a vehicle. I will take it on a trip soon to see what highway economy it gets.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Thanks all! It is doing fine and handles my commute and single driving needs very well. It looks very nice and is in great condition now. I get compliments/offers for it quite often. I have been driving my new 2002 Excursion 7.3l diesel to see what kind of economy it gets. 17 mpg in town isn't too bad for a mountain of a vehicle. I will take it on a trip soon to see what highway economy it gets.
It's nice to see these older TDI's come back to life and continue to be the great cars that they are.;)

I started my 2003 Jetta TDI resurrection thread today in the A4 forum. I have a lot of work cut out for me but starting with a good candidate.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you want any OEM parts hurry as they are rapidly becoming no longer available. This is the reason I ordered new door cards and such. They should last another decade hopefully.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
If you want any OEM parts hurry as they are rapidly becoming no longer available. This is the reason I ordered new door cards and such. They should last another decade hopefully.
Thanks for the tip!

Interior is very good and I have no plans to buy any door cards, etc. Typical broken stuff in Jetta's is generally the center arm rest and glove box hinges. All of that is OE and in good shape. P.O. was easy on it.

Two front fenders will be replaced and I am on the hunt for used ones. The Chinese aftermarket ones are paper thin and generally don't fit right.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Just had the headlights replaced with new ones to include replacing the locking latches for them in the buckets. Also had the windshield washers repaired. Robbie had to disassemble the front end to run all new tubing.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Yep, a single piece of silicone tubing all the way from the washer pump to the hood hinge. Most reliable way to fix it really.

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
Just had the headlights replaced with new ones to include replacing the locking latches for them in the buckets. Also had the windshield washers repaired. Robbie had to disassemble the front end to run all new tubing.
I'm seeing NB's w one eye taped. So it would need a another bucket is all?

Thanks,
Dave

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Depends. The latches are inside the buckets and are replaceable by themselves. So if your latches are broken you can just do them and leave the rest of the bucket and stuff alone. About $18 each IIRC.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Never installed it. I did get the kit though. I am having the blend door foam issue and was waiting until I had time to address that to do the stereo at the same time.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Never installed it. I did get the kit though. I am having the blend door foam issue and was waiting until I had time to address that to do the stereo at the same time.
Ok, thanks for the reply. I ordered a different Kenwood deck from Crutchfield with the same Metra install kit. The install kit was broken when I received it...which isn't a big deal, I think I can still use it but Crutchfield is sending me a new replacement anyway (they're not worth anything...just a couple pieces of plastic).

My issue...or curiosity, is with the facia piece or whatever you call that last piece that snaps in place over the deck to match the contour of the dash. It seems to snap together with a lot of force (on the bench). I was worried that once I snap that bugger into the dash it will be next to impossible to ever remove without breaking/damaging something. Unless I'm missing something?

I may have to call Metra, they do appear to have a tech phone number.

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm looking to upgrade too. Not really good reception on the radio portion, have not checked the 6 disc player for operation, don't want to lose a CD in the unit. Kenwood the way to go? I have one in my truck it's a model KCD-21OU MP3/WMA.
Dave

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The model I have supposedly got very good reviews. All I wanted from mine was BT connectivity. I tend to stream everything from my phone.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
The model I have supposedly got very good reviews. All I wanted from mine was BT connectivity. I tend to stream everything from my phone.
After you posted about that Kenwood model in another thread I was planning on buying the exact same unit myself. Turns out that model isn't offered by Crutchfield in Canada so I ended up going with the BT365U:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wYui82DzZhb/p_113BT365U/Kenwood-KDC-BT365U.html

It doesn't have all the features of the one you have but the Bluetooth seems to work very well (Which is what I wanted). I don't listen to music much, but I listen to Podcasts on my iPhone and it sounds great via Bluetooth on the Kenwood. Phone works well too. No complaints so far.

PS: I set the backlighting of the Kenwood to the same red as the other illumination in the dash, so it seems to match well.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5082855&postcount=585