My 2002 Golf

jlkennedy2

TDI
2002 Golf
Hey Guys!
I'm a newbie to TDIclub and thought I would get some opinions on my Golf. I bought a 2002 Golf a couple months ago with right at 95,000 miles never wrecked and in fairly good condition in and out. I got tired of always fueling up my Jeep and figured I'd go slightly more economical. I have slightly upgraded it as much as I can on my small college level budget until I work towards a bigger turbo kit. I have been absolutely loving this car especially after the Revo tune which upped my mileage and made it much more fun to drive.
So here is stock with only tinted windows and my bike racks.

From here first I had to get rid of stock brakes.... Brembo rotors and Mintex pads

After that had to invest in suspension... tired of floating like a Cadillac

I love the coilovers...they handle great and gave it a much better ride height

Along with this I decided to pick up a TT short shifter for free shipping on an order lol
And last but not least my buddy got some AMG wheels for his ultrasport A4 and passed the wheels along to me. I ordered some 20 mm H&R adapters and finally saved up money for tires and mounted them up.

I decided to drop the front end a little more and get rid of bike racks for a slightly cleaner look... also the 18x8 wheels gave me a much nicer rear stance

My next few purchases will be front and rear sway bars as well as adjustable end links so I can go lower. My end goal for the next 6 months is a GT2260 so I can finally keep up with my buddy in his big turbo A4. What do y'all think? I'm always up for some fresh ideas and new opinions!

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Skid Pan and hurry!

She looks good, nice start for future mods and I like the wheels. Before you do anything else, your next upgrade needs to be a skid plate, before you take your oil pan out. Do it quick. :eek:

jhuroleye

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI MKIV
agreed... skid plate it! looks awesome though! you should get a picture of the brembo's through the wheels.. i'm interested in how they look.. also... you'll want to look into a clutch upgrade when you start doing big performance...

jlkennedy2

TDI
2002 Golf
Thanks y'all! The clutch will be coming fairly soon because mine has been slipping like crazy. I'm thinking a stage 3 when I do get around to it. As for the skid plate, that is one thing I do not know too much about. I have heard of plenty of cracked oil pans but out of curiosity what manufacturer would be recommended for one? Also would it make a large difference between aluminum and steel?

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Thanks y'all! The clutch will be coming fairly soon because mine has been slipping like crazy. I'm thinking a stage 3 when I do get around to it. As for the skid plate, that is one thing I do not know too much about. I have heard of plenty of cracked oil pans but out of curiosity what manufacturer would be recommended for one? Also would it make a large difference between aluminum and steel?
Evolution imports and diesel geek both make good aluminum skid plates. I have an Evolution skid plate because I preferred their front mounts. But I like diesel geek's too because you can get aluminum side skirts for it.

Steel is much heavier and I'm not sure it provides that much more protection. But maybe someone with a steel plate can give you more information on those.

jhuroleye

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI MKIV
i use a dieselgeek... just because i got it for a good price... either one does the job it's intended to do... but the steel ones are gonna be much heavier... i'll link my thread... i'm focusing on cosmetics at the moment.. my car is in much rougher shape than your's... but i did put in a sachs vr6 clutch with g60 flywheel.. the single mass flywheel makes for a lot of chatter... lol but i don't mind it.. sounds more like a diesel... and i don't need anything stronger... it's better than stock and will probably be suffice for the power upgrades i do..
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=348676

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Awesome ride, but if you want to drop it even lower, you're going to have to post on vwvortex to get some praise! ;)

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
nice ride! looks like it's coming together nice!