My 2002 Golf TDI

sdb300zx

TDI
2004 Golf TDI Red

WantingaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf 03 TDI
yea... it prevents clogging of the EGR which is used to lower overall emissions from the car. The EGR over time gets carbon bulidup inside it, leading to decreased car performance. Some have "remedied" this by driving "hard" to minimize the carbon buildup, others have altered (something) via VAG COM, while others done something called the "elephant nose" (or hose) where they disconnect it entirely from the CCV, some just clean the EGR ever 50k or lastly some do what N_J has done and added an aftermarket filter.

Perhaps someone can clarify on the VAGCOM procedure and "elephant nose" procedure. Both of which I beleive are illegal for onroad driving as they let more particulate into the environment.

Last edited:

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2002 Golf 5 speed TDI Indigo Blue Pearl
I assume they are both illegal too.

-Vagcom procedure lowers the amount of Exhaust Gas Recirculation back into the intake, which cause mores exhaust to go out the tailpipe, rather than going back into the intake to be burned. This raises NOx emission I believe.

-Elephant hose is just the output hose like in my pic. A hose runs out of the crank case vent down to the ground without any filter or return hose. Any oil and pressure will be released to the ground.

mkivbren

TDI
Golf
Looks good but dump that Egr valve for a race pipe and get rid of the catch can - open dump is best :)