My 1st TDI + Road Trip

Ryephile

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf
Hi Everyone :)

I just picked up an '11 Golf TDI 6MT 4-dr from Camelback VW in Phoenix. I must admit the negotiation and delivery process were amongst the smoothest and easiest of any new car purchase I've had, so props to them.

The car was perfectly equipped for me; Xenon, Dynaudio, Cold pack, 9W7, and Golf protection plus [rubber mats plus chrome exhaust tips]. I flew into Phoenix International, my sales guy picked me up in a CC and brought me back to the dealership.

I decided this would be a fantastic opportunity to take a vacation and do some sight-seeing as well as visit family in Denver. My travel route looked something like this:

Day 1:
Arriving in Phoenix, taking delivery of the TDI, dinner at Chino Bandito [featured in Diners, Drive-In's, and Dives], then driving to Flagstaff, stopping at the Lowell Observatory for evening sky viewing

Day 2:
Breakfast at Brandy's Bakery [also featured on D,D,& D], hiking Walnut Canyon, checking out the northern bits of the Grand Canyon, visiting Glen Canyon Dam, driving through Monument Valley, then ending up in Moab, UT.

Day 3:
Visiting Arches National Park, zooming down UT-128 [fun road!], then going over the Rockies into Denver area and visiting family in Parker, CO.

Day 4 was spent w/family. I got an opportunity to wash up the TDI and hike Castlewood Dam ruins.

Day 5:
Leaving Parker, and the uber boring drive through eastern CO, NE, and ending up in Des Moines for the night

Day 6:
Making it home to MI!

Ryephile

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf
Pictures from Day 1

Metro Detroit Airport:

Southwest Airlines; the most fun staff ever!

At Camelback VW:

Ryephile

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf
Day 5:

Day 6:

Hope your ISP didn't blow up and you enjoyed! Total trip was about 2350 miles, and calculated fuel economy was 46.3 MPG. :) I was highly dynamic in breaking-in the engine, and the fantastic scenery was the perfect venue to do it.

Cheers,
Ryan

Pelikan State

TDI
2011 White 2dr Golf
Very cool...

Drove mine back 220 mi. from the dealer Saturday, not nearly as long and scenic as your trip...just perfect for a TDI.

I'd love to take a cross-country trip via US 50 through UT, NV, CA next spring if I can.

Last edited:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Damn! I'm glad I have high-speed cable internet! Cool pics! Where was the snow storm?

Just for curiosity sake, why did you buy it in Phoenix? There must be a VW dealer closer to Detroit. Was the roadtrip built into the purchase?

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI Wagon auto. transmission
Where Was the Snow Storm?

I'm going to take a wild guess and say the snow storm was outside of Glenwood Springs, headed east up over I-70 towards Denver.(snow covered portion of the road was close to the summit and Vail)

Then again, maybe not. But I'm pretty sure.

Ryephile

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf
I'm glad you guys have high-speed internet too! I usually don't post that many pictures, but I was pretty geeked with all the great shots I got. :D

The snow storm was between the Vail pass and Eisenhower tunnel in Colorado, as you go through the heart of the Rockies. It's at high elevation [Vail pass on I-70 is at 11,1xx ft], so it already has snow most of the year. It was ccccold up there too, saw 16°F as a low!

Why did I buy the car in Phoenix? I was pretty picky with what options I wanted. It seems that Dynaudio plus Xenon but without Nav or sunroof was pretty much impossible anywhere else in the country. In my search it also seems VW builds configurations based on region. AZ being a desert means nobody wants the hole-in-roof for one. I had the awesome sales guys on VWVortex search the country for the exact configuration I wanted, and there was one in Phoenix and one in Flagstaff. The dealer in Phoenix was more interested in making the flight out there worth my time, so they won my business.

I would've flown where ever I needed to in the lower 48 to buy the exact car I wanted, but Phoenix really made a fantastic road trip, especially since I was able to stop in Denver to visit my family. :)

newdie

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Did you ever have a Mini? Seems I recognize that user name from somewhere.
Great trip BTW.

My 02

Last edited:

Ryephile

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf
Hi Michael,

I had MINI's for years! I was very prominent on MCO and NAM mainly from '02 to '08, co-founding Detroit Tuned and writing articles for Alliance Magazine. My last MINI was an '02 Electric Blue S like yours, but I had fully reengineered the suspension for track work, making it quite formidable if I may say so. ;) This is my favorite picture, at a Grattan raceway HPDE:

I sold the MINI earlier this year to a fellow HPDE friend that fell in love with it. I'll always miss it, as it's one of the best drivers' cars ever, IMO. It's cool to see another MINI fan here; curious how enthusiasts share a variety of vehicles interests.

Cheers,
Ryan

WEDEL.1

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf VI BlueMotion, 1.6TDI - Oettingered
Great posting. Very interesting pictures of your backyard scenery. Oh, and a great looking Golf also.

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI wagon (BEW)
We got back from a road trip to Kingman, AZ, Route 66 to Oatman (not recommended in a motorhome), to Joshua Tree, Boron mine tour, up through San Ramon and on home in Washington. 2,800 miles, some in snow, some really steep windy roads, some 70 mph, but mostly 60. Highest mpgs was 54, lowest was 48. Average right about 50.

This was with wife, three youngest kids, 5 sleeping bags, tent, cooler, luggage, food, camp stove, etc. Mpgs are definitely up since timing belt change and timing adjustment.

allevil

TDI
2012 Golf, TDI, 6MT, 2dr, Silver, Tech package.
Awesome Thread!

Awesome Pics!

We go to Moab every year with 4 wheel drives. I Love that Place!

Sounds like you had a Great Trip!

wreck111

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Porsche 991S 2014 2011 A3 TDI
Great eye and pictures! Someone knew how to take pictures. Send them to VW they are better than theirs.

Last edited:

wreck111

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Porsche 991S 2014 2011 A3 TDI
TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers

Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.

Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:
USA Canada
76 Stations Chevron Canada
Aloha Petroleum Esso
Chevron PetroCanada
Conoco Shell Canada
Country Mark Sunoco Canada
Entec Stations
Exxon
Holiday Stationstores, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
MFA Oil Co.