My 1991 Golf Build Thread

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
OK, so lets start with a little background information on this car. It's not my daily, so I have given it the title "The Weekender". A friend of mine was the previous owner, and he just had a son, wedding, and honeymoon, so let's just say he needed the cash.

He did most of the grunt work to get the 1Z TDI swap up and running. Donor car was a 1996 Passat. He also deleted power steering and A/C :facepalm: when installing the motor. Timing belt was replaced, and had a fresh SBC stage 2 endurance clutch, and had BFI stage .5 motor mounts with a G60 trans mount. It had the stock Garrett turbo with a stage 3 Malone tune, PP764 nozzles, EGR delete, and Saab 900 FMIC.

Upon taking ownership, I replaced the MK2 fuel tank with a MK3 and got the proper sending unit in there to use the MK3 cluster. I also ran all new lines from the tank to the bay and installed an inline lift pump. I also replaced all the vacuum and boost lines, glow plug harness, and PCV tube. There were a few other odds and ends to be cleaned up to make this swap look nice. I also installed oil pressure, temp, voltage, boost, and EGT gauges. Because who doesn't love gauges?

Now for the bad. Within a week of ownership, the #3 injector bore started leaking compression, and I quickly found out there was a crack in the head causing this leak. I managed to get it to seal by torching the copper injector washer before torquing it down to get a little extra crush on it. This lasted me 6+ months of weekend driving, as well as a trip to NH and ME for TDIFest 2013. During that time, I also had a nice rear main seal leak that has been driving me crazy, and I also noticed oil pressure starting to wane. To the point that I switched to Rotella T3 conventional to keep the pressure in a comfortable range for my own peace of mind.

So, now that you understand "the bad", that brings me to my build. I had to replace/repair the head regardless, and I had to pull the trans (rear main seal) regardless. So, "while I'm there" has spiraled into a huge winter long build of my motor, a larger turbo, AWIC, and plenty of other goodies.

At TDIFest 2013

______________________________________________________________________________________

Now, for my goals for this build:

Motor: The idea is, I want to build it to take whatever I can throw at it. Its a 1Z from a 96 Passat.

PD150(ARL) Pistons (19.0:1)
Rosten Rods
Eurospec block girdle (not sure on this one yet, would like some input)
New head with local machine shop P&P.
Stage 3 colt cam
PD Oil cooler
PD150 intake manifold
11mm IP
Still undecided on injectors (currently have PP764s, will probably start with them set for the highest pop setting)
Air/Water IC (from siliconeintakes.com)
Garrett GT2259 turbo (internal wastegate)
3" straight pipe exhaust (

I think thats it for now (I'm sure I'm forgetting something)

Transmission:
LSD and the "add a 6th gear" kit- will be coming later after the car is on the road..
02J shift tower and box
Will probably get dieselgeek short shifter eventually

Vehicle:
Restore A/C and power steering
Restore cruise control
Swap front end to quad round
Battery and washer fluid in trunk
Shave bay complete with paint
Complete custom harness and wire tuck in bay
5 lug conversion from MK3 VR6 front and rear brakes
SS brake lines
Get rid of my junk Raceland Coilovers
Install upper strut bar
Upgrade sway bar - VR6
Install BFI rear beam brace
Rear beam poly inserts

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Turbo, manifold, and my 90 degree T3 adapter.

Turbo is Garrett GT2259, and is an OEM variant from a HINO 5.0L heavy equipment engine. - $740 shipped

Manifold was a generic 8V VW manifold from eBay - $75 shipped

T3 adapter was designed by me and manufactured by eMachineShop.com - $50

These pics also show the porting required to get a nice smooth transition from the manifold through my adapter into the turbo.

Old vs New turbo

T3 vs OEM manifold port size

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
_____________________________________________________________________________________

11/10/13

Pulled the motor:

How she will sit for the winter

Lots of odds and ends removed

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI

I was really happy to find out that despite my rear main seal leak, the clutch was dry. Not sure if I'm going to reuse. It only has 15k on it at most.

Look at that cute little turbo.

Lots more to come. I will keep the thread updated. Any input is appreciated.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Why go waste-gate turbo if you are using a pd150? How will you control it?

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
Why go waste-gate turbo if you are using a pd150? How will you control it?
PD150 pistons and manifold. Block, head, fuel system, and computer is 1Z so boost will be controlled by the N75 and a mechanical boost controller.

Why go waste gated? Why not is what I have to say to that. Short answer is top end flow.

Edit: Thanks to Chris (GTiTDI) for inspiring me to think outside the vanes ;)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Blaasdhuujdjjhhhhhhhh............

Thats what my brain did up there..... I get it now.... Boy i need to read more carefully.

Still though, why not upgrade to vnt control like frankencar did with his BV43

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
Lol yes, the sheeple.

Blaasdhuujdjjhhhhhhhh............

Thats what my brain did up there..... I get it now.... Boy i need to read more carefully.

Still though, why not upgrade to vnt control like frankencar did with his BV43
Theres a reason I went with this HINO OEM variant of the GT2259. Garrett's off the shelf aftermarket version of the 2259 has a .56 A/R turbine and the HINO has a .47 so I'm hoping to retain low end response that way rather than switching to VNT.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Then why not ask him why he's not adding a DPF or Urea injection. VNT helps with some things but there's something to be said about the reliability and simplicity of a WG.
exactly, VNT is more of an emissions device to limit smoke output IMO, and is by no means the best for high performance flow...

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
Then why not ask him why he's not adding a DPF or Urea injection. VNT helps with some things but there's something to be said about the reliability and simplicity of a WG.
Yea. My aim is to have it spool almost as fast as a 2260V but be able to flow more exhaust on the top end of the RPM section.

Edit: Chris I just saw your comment. I'm sure you know I don't care about smoke with this build.

GTiTDi

TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Yea. My aim is to have it spool almost as fast as a 2260V but be able to flow more exhaust on the top end of the RPM section.

Edit: Chris I just saw your comment. I'm sure you know I don't care about smoke with this build.

I know, but remember how much mine smokes with its wastegate turbo.....:D

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
"Spool almost as fast"

How much high rpm flow will this car see? Is it street daily driven? If so I'd be more concerned with spool. Either way, I'm not saying it won't be fast, it's just that the performance profile will differ, and in my opinion, be less than optimal for street use. If you are going to keep the rpms way up, then go for the wg

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
is that a saab intercooler? i have one that looks almost identical to that... i like the bumper sticker on top of the front support :D

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i've driven in chris' car with the 2052, and it spools plenty fast for dailiy driving. it's an amazing ride... i'd say confidently any amount of lag is likely unnoticeable...

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
"Spool almost as fast"

How much high rpm flow will this car see? Is it street daily driven? If so I'd be more concerned with spool. Either way, I'm not saying it won't be fast, it's just that the performance profile will differ, and in my opinion, be less than optimal for street use. If you are going to keep the rpms way up, then go for the wg
Its going to be a street/strip all around fun car, so i can deal with a little lag to get a higher power/torque number. Not a daily by any means, but I do plan on taking it on a few road trips.

This is another reason I'm going with an air/water IC, shorter charge piping.

I have a backup plan if it doesn't spool as quick as I'd like it to, and I figure worst case, thats as simple as a turbo swap. If I have issues with lag that can't be tuned out with a new chip, I'm considering making a hybrid from the 2259 compressor and 2052 turbine and wheel.

Ive seen setups on higher flowing (Cummins 4 and 6 cyls) diesels where they run a VNT with an external WG. That gets around the issue of top end flow, because the WG dumps all the exhaust when manifold pressures start to get too high.

is that a saab intercooler? i have one that looks almost identical to that... i like the bumper sticker on top of the front support :D

Yes its from a Saab 900, came with the car.

i've driven in chris' car with the 2052, and it spools plenty fast for dailiy driving. it's an amazing ride... i'd say confidently any amount of lag is likely unnoticeable...
And it is this sentiment I'm going on with this turbo. I closely compared the 2259 with the 2052 came to the conclusion that I woudnt mind a little lag to get a higher power number.

I know, but remember how much mine smokes with its wastegate turbo.....:D
I have a feeling its gonna take some tweaking to get mine as clean as yours with this turbo. What nozzles do you have? I'm starting out with the PP764s and sending them out to have the pop pressure raised to compensate for the lower compression ratio. Thats another reason I'm going with an 11 mm IP.

Last edited:

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
GT2259
Compressor:
Inducer - 42.80 mm
Exducer - 59.40 mm
Trim - 52
A/R - 0.42

Turbine:
Wheel diameter - 50.30 mm
Trim - 72
A/R - 0.47

Garrett has 3 2052s listed, so I'm not sure which one applies to the one ID parts sells. Maybe Chris could chime in on which one he has.

GT2052(1)
Compressor:
Inducer - 37.60 mm
Exducer - 52.20 mm
Trim - 52
A/R - 0.51

Turbine:
Wheel diameter - 47 mm
Trim - 72
A/R - 0.50

GT2052(2)
Compressor:
Inducer - 36.80 mm
Exducer - 52.00 mm
Trim - 50
A/R - 0.51

Turbine:
Wheel diameter - 47.00
Trim - 72
A/R - 0.50

GT2052(3)
Compressor:
Inducer - 36.10 mm
Exducer - 52.20 mm
Trim - 48
A/R - 0.51

Turbine:
Wheel diameter - 47.00
Trim - 72
A/R - 0.50

My point with all this is, the GT2259 isnt too much bigger than the 2052, especially on the hot side, so I am not too concerned with lag from what I hear (and saw when I was behind it) about Chris's car.

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
GT2259
Compressor:
Inducer - 42.80 mm
Exducer - 59.40 mm
Trim - 52
A/R - 0.42

Turbine:
Wheel diameter - 50.30 mm
Trim - 72
A/R - 0.47

Garrett has 3 2052s listed, so I'm not sure which one applies to the one ID parts sells. Maybe Chris could chime in on which one he has.

GT2052(1)
Compressor:
Inducer - 37.60 mm
Exducer - 52.20 mm
Trim - 52
A/R - 0.51

Turbine:
Wheel diameter - 47 mm
Trim - 72
A/R - 0.50

GT2052(2)
Compressor:
Inducer - 36.80 mm
Exducer - 52.00 mm
Trim - 50
A/R - 0.51

Turbine:
Wheel diameter - 47.00
Trim - 72
A/R - 0.50

GT2052(3)
Compressor:
Inducer - 36.10 mm
Exducer - 52.20 mm
Trim - 48
A/R - 0.51

Turbine:
Wheel diameter - 47.00
Trim - 72
A/R - 0.50

My point with all this is, the GT2259 isnt too much bigger than the 2052, especially on the hot side, so I am not too concerned with lag from what I hear (and saw when I was behind it) about Chris's car.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3867361&postcount=11
Compressor Wheel Minor Diameter: 37.60mm
Compressor Wheel Major Diameter: 52.20mm
Compressor Wheel Trim: 52
Compressor A/R: 0.51
Turbine Wheel Minor Diameter: 39.88mm
Turbine Wheel Major Diameter: 47.00mm
Turbine Wheel Trim: 72
Turbine A/R: 0.50
Recommended Horsepower Range: 140-225 hp
Recommended Displacement Range: 1.4L - 2.0L

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the head off this past weekend.

Block:
There was still a decent crosshatch in all cylinders
Found scoring in all cylinders consistent with piston slap
There was something small floating around in #4 leaving marks on the piston crown
I will be doing a 0.5mm overbore, to make sure everything is straight and in spec

Head:
The crack causing injector sealing issues(#3) doesn't seem to extend to the firing deck, so hopefully it will be repairable by Frank.
Cam looks a bit worn but in decent shape overall
Valves are all intact
Had a pretty good buildup of gunk in the intake ports, probably from when the motor had EGR.

I will be tearing down the block one of these weekends coming up and hopefully by then I'll have the head over at Frank's and I'll have my internals purchased.

Now for the pictures.

Piston 1 - I sprayed and wiped a spot to check the markings to make sure the block hadn't been bored over in the past.

Piston 2

Piston 3

Piston 4

Cyl bore pictures. I forgot to pay attention to which cyl was which, but all the scoring seems to be consistent.

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
Head Front

Head Rear

Head deck 1 - 2

Head Deck 3 - 4

Block deck

On stand

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
Looks great!! Love just scrolling through and looking at pictures lol, I'm too lazy too read.

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks great!! Love just scrolling through and looking at pictures lol, I'm too lazy too read.
Thanks. With just about everything in this world, it doesn't hurt to read read read ;)

I've noticed a lot of kids your age growing up on the interwebz rather than with real books feel the same way, it's sad :(:eek:
And thats why I'm so happy I won the hard cover Bentley manual in the raffle at fest this year. I can sit back on my couch and just read it at my leisure.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Nice thread, keep the updates coming :)