My 100k mile 1998 TDI

Lance Allison

Requiesce In Pace October 20th, 2019
TDI
98 Jetta, Classic Green
Build Date 9/97 Bought 11/97
Classic Green / Beige Diag Point cloth
All options except side air bags
Stock except for Clarion 6-Disc, VW Flaps, VW hood protector, and VW mats.

Anyone else out there a 100,000+ miler??

RAUCHEN

Wow! That's a lot of driving in two years!

Streator?!!!! We're just 1/8 tank away from each other!

Lance Allison

Requiesce In Pace October 20th, 2019
TDI
98 Jetta, Classic Green
Sky Pup --
The first 100k has been a joy. The only non-scheduled maintainance service I've had was a battery problem. The battery leaked acid through the top caps and melted the plastic arm that connects the shift linkage into the trans. I was limited to 3rd and 4th gears. Luckily, it was an easy fix and VW covered it under their goodwill policy, as it was technically out of warranty. I go through about 1/2 quart of oil between changes. (not out of line from any of my other cars)

The car I traded in on it was a 94 Caddy STS. When I found out I was going to have such a long commute to work, I had to buy something little more fuel efficient and the TDI fit the bill perfectly. It has been one of the best cars (reliability wise) I've owned. I got used to putting so much $$$ into that Cadillac, so having a trouble free car has been great. Will be seeking a new TDI in the future. The one I want is a Jetta GLS Silver Arrow w/ Black leather package. Like the alloys, but do NOT want the sunroof again. Looks as if I'll pass on the lux package and purchase the alloys from the dealer.

Oh yeah -- the lowest mileage I've seen was about 42 mpg and highest has been around 50. Seems to drop substantially above 70 mph. Chow for now.

[This message has been edited by Lance Allison (edited August 20, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Lance Allison (edited August 20, 1999).]

S

SkyPup

Lance, that is a sweet A3. How has it been for you over the 100,000 mile jaunt. Did it use much oil, what's been your normal mileage, and any hassles with the engine? Hopefully runs like a sewing machine for you!