Muted muffler or resonator?

The Horak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GL
Hey all, I know this is a common topic, but j haven't found too many people that want to replace their stock muffler with something that will flow better but have a more muted tone than most cat-backs. Any suggestions for something quieter while still sounding tuned?

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
It is hard to beat the stock muffler for quiet. I have not been able to match it. The closest that i have been able to get with a 2 1/2" turbo back is a resonator where the cat was and 5x18" round glass pack at the back. I think the large diameter pipe makes it all but impossible to eliminate all the drone.

The Horak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GL
Before I put my BuzzKen on, I deleted the muffler and welded a straight pipe on it, very little difference without the muffler
I'm gonna have to start there and decide. I'm keeping the diameter stock, or close enough, at 2.25. Is the BuzzKen a muffler? Is it loud?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Complete waste of time and money unless you are going after insane power enhancements.

"Sound" does not equal anything with a TDI. If you want that mentally challenged (retarded) racer boy sound, get a non turbo gasser.

A TDI sounds like it does because it is turbo charged and more efficient than a gasser.

Last edited:

The Horak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GL
Complete waste of time and money unless you are going after insane power enhancements.

"Sound" does not equal anything with a TDI. If you want that mentally challenged (retarded) racer boy sound, get a non turbo gasser.

A TDI sounds like it does because it is turbo charged and more efficient than a gasser.
Thanks for the opinion.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
You are welcome. As always, an opinion is nothing more than that, an opinion. Additional research may or may not validate my opinion.

But still, IMHO, exhaust mods will do close to zero in performance gains or even exhaust sounds for a TDI. The turbo in it's self acts as a very efficient muffler. So ya, a TDI will never sound like a dinosaur 1950's or 1960's non turbo gasser V8.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Having done lots of exhaust mods over the years I can say the only noticeable mod I have done is stock exhaust removing the cat will let the turbo spool more quickly with only a very small increase in noise. This is with a mostly stock ALH (slightly larger injectors). Everything else has only increased drone (undesirable) and turbo whine (very desirable). If I had it to do all over again I would keep the stock muffler and delete the cat.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Everything else has only increased drone (undesirable) and turbo whine (very desirable).
Please explain why all other noise is undesirable but turbo whine is "very desirable".:confused: It's all unnecessary noise to a nice quite car.:rolleyes:

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
Oh lordy

I'm gonna have to start there and decide. I'm keeping the diameter stock, or close enough, at 2.25. Is the BuzzKen a muffler? Is it loud?
As I was typing my last post out I giggled and wondered if Ol'Rattler would chime in....anyways, my BuzzKen isn't loud with the 2 resonators.... And I also have quite a few mods so it helps...but if you want to stay with the stock diameter, what I did worked for my car just fine...also alot of good suggestions above...including Ol'Rattler's opinions...:)

The Horak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GL
but if you want to stay with the stock diameter, what I did worked for my car just fine...also alot of good suggestions above...including Ol'Rattler's opinions...:)
Awesome. Thanks for the help. And that's really what I want, people's opinions.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and that is mine. Sound is very subjective.
And on the street, increased noise sounds like crap to anyone nearby. Just another opinion.
I'm planning on allowing the tune to take care of the performance when I get around to making mods to the exhaust and ecu. Hopefully, this can be accomplished with minimal change to the stock sound.

The wife won't be happy if there is any change to the sound of the exhaust at all. She's probably going to have to live with the changes, though.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Stage-something tune in Chrismak's car's drivetrain, and a 5 straight drive.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
My common rail tdi sounds entirely different with a 2.5" straight through exhaust. I do have one vibrant bottle resonator. Far louder above 2200 rpm. The stock exhaust was too silent for my taste. If I really wanted a silent car, I'd go electric. I love the music it makes now. One man's noise is another man's symphony.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Bah, electrics have to be recharged after 18 holes.
I can't say I've heard a tdi make music before, so it's hard to say if I'd call it a symphony or just noise.
I'm very familiar with screaming Jimmy's, though, and earplugs alone don't even come close to blocking out the sweet sound... err noise.
I'll search for a good video w/sound before I pass judgment. Personally, I'm not against a mild tone w/o the drone, but the wife may not be as easily placated.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
The AUDI V10 that won LeMans sounded like a jet plane.

mick84

TDI
A6 C5 Avant PD130
i have to say i had a decat and straight through system put on all 2.5inch to keep the flow nice but is far too loud, i will be puttng a back box on it at some point in the futre when funds allow. the spool up is super noticable but the mpg i think is a myth. the car revs harder for longer after a tune and i have to say the only down side is hearing the turbo spool down all the time as is like a BOV it can get a little repetative.

im expecting my car noise to change when i fit my 2256 and the injectors but for the better as i am running a stock turbo at the minute and its at its limits.

mick

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
Hey all, I know this is a common topic, but j haven't found too many people that want to replace their stock muffler with something that will flow better but have a more muted tone than most cat-backs. Any suggestions for something quieter while still sounding tuned?
A straight-through muffler will flow better than the stock unit. I'm sure there are straight-through mufflers that aren't too obnoxious. Still, you're not going to get much power out of it... maybe 5 HP?

If you do decide to get a straight-through muffler, go for a perforated tube with no packing, or with stainless steel packing. The mufflers with rock wool and fiberglass will eventually either blow out the packing or it will get waterlogged, which will make it sound really bad.

The Horak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GL
A straight-through muffler will flow better than the stock unit. I'm sure there are straight-through mufflers that aren't too obnoxious. Still, you're not going to get much power out of it... maybe 5 HP?
You know, I'm really just trying to make the car sound a little different. It's not for HP or MPG, so much. But I appreciate the recommendation away from the glass insulation. I agree on that.

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
For what it's worth, I've been thinking of doing the same. I've seen several Youtube videos of "mufflerectomies", and they all sound a little too rough for my tastes. I think a small muffler near the end of the tailpipe may solve that.

I suggested a perforated tube style, because it doesn't have baffles or louvers protruding into the air stream. So theoretically, it should flow better. And of course, there's the aforementioned packing material considerations.

Also, I've been told the stock muffler is pretty heavy. It couldn't hurt to shave a few pounds off the car. Or in my case, it would offset the added weight of the trailer hitch. ;)

Last edited:

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
The Thrush looks like a chambered muffler. If so, it will drone at certain RPMs. Out of those two, I'd pick the Magnaflow.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
FWIW, first car was an 00 ALH Sedan, auto-nozzles, tune, cat delete, stock muffler. Put an Ebay 3" catback system on with rear exit and the sound was awesome, deep and mean sounding with very little drone-had one guy follow me to ask what I had done. Picked up 1 mpg and the throttle response changed in a good way, so much so the wife commented on it.

2nd was another ALH auto Sedan, stock everything except cat delete but used the stock piping and an Aeroturbine muffler with a turn down, better throttle response, slight exhaust note and no drone.

bmali98

Veteran Member
TDI
O4 golf pd auto

Haha, I have been trolling around for something to take issue with. At least it's only another thread about exhaust noise. As the father of a 4 year old girl with autism..... Blah blah..... The punch line is : mentally challenged and retarded aren't synonyms. "Mentally challenged" is a life altering condition that affects not only the unfortunate person to have it, but those around. "Retarded" as it stands in the current definition applies to ignorant people who use the word to belittle others and those who do stupid things despite knowing better.

I suppose the other way the word can be used in this thread would be retard injection timing to make lots of noise and spool a turbo.

The Horak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GL
Haha, I have been trolling around for something to take issue with. At least it's only another thread about exhaust noise. As the father of a 4 year old girl with autism..... Blah blah..... The punch line is : mentally challenged and retarded aren't synonyms. "Mentally challenged" is a life altering condition that affects not only the unfortunate person to have it, but those around. "Retarded" as it stands in the current definition applies to ignorant people who use the word to belittle others and those who do stupid things despite knowing better.

I suppose the other way the word can be used in this thread would be retard injection timing to make lots of noise and spool a turbo.
i'm so sorry that this is something that you and your daugher, as well as your family have to fight. I give you so much credit, as I can't imagine having the strength that your dauger has, as well as you and your family. I hope this thread hasn't upset you too much. I only ask that we don't let random people's poor use of words start an argument here on the forums.

bmali98

Veteran Member
TDI
O4 golf pd auto
While I was initially offended I was just messing around. I appreciate the words. Everyone has their own issues in life, no one is exempt. Sorry to bust in like that on a rant.

haven't heard anything bad about magnaflow. Supposedly the sound is unlike any other. I don't think there is a way to possibly make these cars sound bad anyway. I have had stock, strait pipe, glass pack, stock with big tips, it all sounds good. If I haven't had it , I have youtubed it.

Last edited: