Musty Air Conditioner Smell

Cumbres

Since starting to use the AC this season I am getting a musty smell out of the AC the next morning. I am presuming that the drain for the AC is plugged up. What is the best way to get to the plug and to see if it is truly plugged? Is there something to do to remove the mold from the air handling part of the system?

Thanks, Cumbres
2002 Jetta TDI

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
There are sprays available. Some are said to work quite well.

Your best bet is to shutdown the A/C 2 - 3 minutes prior to reaching your destination and turning the car off and parking it. This will permit the evaporator to warm up and dry off. I've done this for years and have never had issues with fungus growing on the evap.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
the drain comes through the firewall. If you look on the passenger side firewall in the engine bay behind the turbo, you should see a 'U' shaped cutout in the metallic insulation. The drain is behind here. You will need to pull this flap up to see the drain. You might want to leave it loose so water drains easier.

Cumbres

Good, since I need to check some glow plugs tomorrow I should be able to find that relatively easy.

Thanks.

Cumbres

Well I did check it and got it open. It appears to be draining ok. I also found some mat like material under the cabin air filter that was wet and smelled a little moldy too.

I also found that my driver side cooling fan on the radiator isn't working. Spins nicely but no spin. will have to trouble shoot that next weekend I guess.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
http://autodax.com/catalog/pdetail.php?prdid=150

This is a product similar to what I use from ATD at Bumber to Bumper stores. This is the best and realy the only way to get rid of the mold.

The one I use sprays through a pin hole upstream of the evaporator. It works wonders and keep it clean for a a couple years.