Multiple worrisome issues....

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MKV Jetta TDI 1.9L - 210k 2013 Passat TDI - 27k
I had recently made a post about my car relating to the MAF sensor since I had code P0101. I cleaned the MAF sensor, cleared codes, and the same code came back about 24 hours later. I have other issues as well now though which are concerning me...I think the code may possibly be related to a air/boost leak somewhere cause sometimes around 2000RPM or while turning I can hear what sounds like a blow off valve noise, also the car has a very rough idle. I'm also wondering if it could be a loose belt or bad tensioner possibly? I installed the ECS dog bone insert which I know will increase NVH but I was wondering if this is normal...the car will make a violent rattling/rough idle noise but if I position my brake pedal a certain way to where I'm pressing the pedal in just enough to keep the car from moving, it doesn't make the noise and sounds smooth, but sometimes it is the opposite, I have to press the pedal in entirely to get a smooth idle. I believe some of the rattling may be because of the subframe issue with our cars and on top of that, one of my main subframe bolts is stripped. I plan on getting the Tyrol collar kit to fix this or at least the passat bolts with spacers for the time being but I was curious on your guys' thoughts on these issues. Thank you!

Last edited:

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
..also the car has a very rough idle.
A MkV BRM Jetta with a very rough idle?...

You didn't mention if you have replaced your camshaft or not? Is it original @ 185k miles? Has it been inspected?

I know you're asking about rattles and boost leaks, but if it was me, I'd want to first check the torision value and idle stabilization...and also pull the valve cover to inspect the cam and lifters.

If you've already checked these things, then just ignore my post and carry on.;)

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
A MkV BRM Jetta with a very rough idle?...
You didn't mention if you have replaced your camshaft or not? Is it original @ 185k miles? Has it been inspected?
I know you're asking about rattles and boost leaks, but if it was me, I'd want to first check the torision value and idle stabilization...and also pull the valve cover to inspect the cam and lifters.
If you've already checked these things, then just ignore my post and carry on.;)
My camshaft is worn and I know it is as the car has 186k i just don't know the extent of the wear...I'm leaving for basic training and job training in September so I was going to get it replaced when I get back. I think I may buy the Tyrol subframe kit so I can see what issues and noises that fixes and then I can go from there cause i feel like there's multiple issues going on so I'm going to try and do that and see where that gets me...the code should be easy for a shop to find though...then the new camshaft when I get that installed I should be in good shape...

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Thanks for your service...

As Rembrandt mentioned, I would hold off on the Tyrol subframe mounts. Look at using the Passat subframe bolts instead of the stretch bolt. They are around 7 or so each. You need to inspect that cam ASAP. Basically, you need to look for the edge of the lobes to see if there is still a chamfer and if the tops of the lifters are dished or worse. The valve cover has a reusable gasket. Here is a great link to figure how to check the cam..

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/camshaft-lobe-wear-inspection-and-replacement-on-tdi-pd-engine/

Spending your dollars here is priority. If you are in here and need a cam, plan on doing the timing belt and water pump at the same time, unless it was done recently. As others have mentioned, VCDS is a requirement for owning a TDI. You can pick them up on the for sale forum for 150 or so. It will give you the insight to truly see how the car is running.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels

As Rembrandt mentioned, I would hold off on the Tyrol subframe mounts. Look at using the Passat subframe bolts instead of the stretch bolt. They are around 7 or so each. You need to inspect that cam ASAP. Basically, you need to look for the edge of the lobes to see if there is still a chamfer and if the tops of the lifters are dished or worse. The valve cover has a reusable gasket. Here is a great link to figure how to check the cam..

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/camshaft-lobe-wear-inspection-and-replacement-on-tdi-pd-engine/

Spending your dollars here is priority. If you are in here and need a cam, plan on doing the timing belt and water pump at the same time, unless it was done recently. As others have mentioned, VCDS is a requirement for owning a TDI. You can pick them up on the for sale forum for 150 or so. It will give you the insight to truly see how the car is running.
^ Good advice...well said

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI

Aw okay, should I get the spacers as well? And I know I need to get it checked ASAP...I'll definitely get it done. The car also makes what sounds like a blow off valve noise around 2000RPM but it's sputtery, it's pretty audible if I have the windows down, here's a link to the idle...if you listen you can hear a very inconsistent clicking/knocking noise https://youtu.be/wlUbaG7tcVw and I will definitely have to get VCDS as well! And thank you! Glad to be doing it!

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Was your MAF code basically saying that you werent getting enough airflow through the engine? if so, I would suspect the cam lobes are worn to the point where your valves arent opening enough to allow your engine to breathe. as above, Cam inspection needed to verify.

your noisy idle could be from a failing Dual mass Flywheel.

you say it gets quieter when you load the engine by pressing the brake just enough to stop the car.. makes me think its a DSG transmission, and doing this is likely slipping the transmission in 1st gear, thus loading the DMF and keeping iit from rattling around since its under constant load in one direction.

if it sounds like a bunch of rocks in a can at idle and goes away under load then I would suspect the DMF..

Unfortunately you could be in for a couple of pricy fixes soon. the good news is though that once you do these (if needed) the car should be good to go for another almost 200k.

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
Was your MAF code basically saying that you werent getting enough airflow through the engine? if so, I would suspect the cam lobes are worn to the point where your valves arent opening enough to allow your engine to breathe. as above, Cam inspection needed to verify.
your noisy idle could be from a failing Dual mass Flywheel.
you say it gets quieter when you load the engine by pressing the brake just enough to stop the car.. makes me think its a DSG transmission, and doing this is likely slipping the transmission in 1st gear, thus loading the DMF and keeping iit from rattling around since its under constant load in one direction.
if it sounds like a bunch of rocks in a can at idle and goes away under load then I would suspect the DMF..
Unfortunately you could be in for a couple of pricy fixes soon. the good news is though that once you do these (if needed) the car should be good to go for another almost 200k.
Yeah my camshaft is definitely worn and needs replaced no doubt...but if my fly wheel is bad im going to be pissed cause the dealer literally replaced that in August last year lol

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
https://youtu.be/JydrK-DdV84 Here's another video that shows the noise issue at various positions relating to the brake pedal.
You're not going to be able to determine what the noise is from inside the cabin of the car.

I would take a video under the hood while this is happening, and/or buy a cheap mechanics stethoscope and pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from.

Have a look around the serpentine belt as well, and see if it's bouncing around.