Multifunction steering wheel and fold flat vent retrofit?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
My 01 golf has a regular four spoke steering wheel, but my parts car had a nice multi function steering wheel that I nabbed, along with the clockspring. What else will I need to retrofit the wheel to be able to work on my car? I searched and saw that people have done it, but didn't find a good write up on how to do it. Also got a set of fold flat vents that have the light up dials. Anybody retrofitted them with the lighting as well? Thanks!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
This is the guide I used. Wasn't hard to do, just running wires.

As for the vent lights, you'll have to run wires for all the backlights. Otherwise the vents are just a drop in I think.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
This is the guide I used. Wasn't hard to do, just running wires.

As for the vent lights, you'll have to run wires for all the backlights. Otherwise the vents are just a drop in I think.
Thanks! I'll check into that. I guess I should have grabbed the control relay for the steering wheel controls. I grabbed the CCM from that car, but not the relay for the steering wheel. Didn't know what I was looking for and was in a hurry.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Also note, you can use the blinker stalk that has the cruise control function on it, but the on/off/resume switch can be a little iffy. Or just change it out with the stalk that's simply on/off.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I've done the lay flat vents in my Golf, did a write up on here. I didn't run power though.
I thought about it. If you do, you'll likely have to build your own harness. I'd probably tap for power, somewhere convenient, when the running/city lights turn on with the headlight switch. You'll likely just need to common ground the negatives and find a decent spot to ground the common.