Mufflerectomy WITH a muffler?????

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Hi, just wondering if you would have the same noticeable turbo whistle as no muffler, with a "resonator" type device when replacing your factory MK4 TDI muffler?

I have to have what appears to be a muffler in my state. But I want the "woosh"!

Nuje

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2003; 2016 A3 e-tron
I have a 2.5" BuzzKen downpipe straight back, but then run it into the stock muffler; I get a decent little whistle out of it, but without the annoying drone at some engine speeds.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I have a stock muffler but no CAT on my '02, and it has a whistle. Subtle, but it's thre.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I ended up buying a 2.25" to 3" adapter, then a 3" stainless bullet style resonator, with a 3" stainless turn down tip. I'm doing the job tomorrow (re-teaching my self to weld, only did stick in high school. MIG will be new to me. I've been watching tons of videos for about two weeks), we'll see how it goes. I'll post back here when I'm done.

Man, I do NOT like the new look of the forum's layout. Why can't people leave feel enough alone????

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Just some follow up here since this is the best forum/community on the internet!

So I did the "mufflerectomy" with a 3" stainless resonator (3" pipe from trunk-to resonator-to pipe-to 3" exhaust tip). I wasn't sure if I'd get the same cool whistle as the traditional mufflerectomy I see on Youtube where you have that nice 'baby Cummings' sound. Well, adding the resonator does NOT give me any turbo sound about the factory exhaust I'm afraid. I hoped the combo of the increased 3" size, plus the swapping the muffler for the resonator (straight through) would achieve it, it does not. That's o.k. It DOES have a deeper tone with NO resonation. So there's that. The car 'feels" faster. I did it a few weeks ago, so I really wanted to wait to see if there was a placebo effect or not. It feels it gets on turbo boost faster. I haven't dyne's it or anything obviously. So I'm glad I did it, cause I like the deeper tone, and quicker spool up, but only just barely. It probably cost me $100-$120 in parts and shop rental time. I didn't have enough to do a full exhaust, that will come in the future for sure.

Moral of the story is if you want the whistle, a resonator won't do. Just straight pipe it. I'm in a state that has inspections so I needed a muffler looking thing to pass unfortunately.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 5-speed, 270K
Thanks for the follow up. In March I did a 2.5” stainless Turbo back with a cleaned CAT, and a Magnaflow muffler with a turned down tip. I didn’t really notice the whistle after I put the new muffler on, but then I installed a new VNT15 turbo. The whistle was loud enough to concern me that something was up with the new turbo. I compared via videos with InidigoBlueWagon to make sure all was good and it seems it is so. Not sure why a new turbo would have a more pronounced whistle, but it definitely did.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Thanks 300D! Glad to hear that one day I should hear this baby whistle too! MY turndown tip is bolstered on, so I wonder if I took it off if it would whistle more? I plan on upgrading the stock turbo when this one fails (S7, VNT17?).