Muffler delete is a bit to loud,what is needed

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Ok guys and gals, i deleted my muffler couple of weeks ago and the cat 4 months ago. Damm i love the sound around town, but on the hiway it is just a bit to loud around 3000 rpm and crousing at 120 km/h. The drooning is just a bit to loud.

So i know some of you have done this and some have put a chery bomb in it. So i would just like to find out what the rest of you think what i should do next. I know it sounds cool the way it is ,going down the quarter mile and people saying WOW, but on the Hiway at a constant speed is to much noise.

I still like thye loudness of the sound ,but the drooning is just to much even when i have the stereo cranked.So lets hear it folks,if possibe some video clips. I sure have some going down the track,

Harald

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
you have seen mine right harald? I hear no drone even at 160 down the freeway :), I have the 4 motion rear valence with exhaust cut out and also have mine pointing out and up, not under the bumper like some have.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I have youtube links somewhere (search for threads by me & Magnaflow).

You may not need to spend that much (as much as me).

Maybe try picking up a 1.8T or VR6 midpipe (which contains a center muffler) and swapping that instead. You may be able to find them used for a good price.

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well i guess i forgot to mention, i have the GLI rear Valance and dont want any other one , and at the same time i have a 993 twin turbo tip that i will keep for sure ,what i like to know what should i put behind the tip to make it sound quieter at 3000 rpm and 120km/h

Eric i know what you have ,and you like it . I like the way mine looks now ( you will see it and hear it a block away when i come on saturday) but i just need something behind the bumper to soothen it out. No not a SOOTHER:D

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
meangreen said:
Eric i know what you have ,and you like it . I like the way mine looks now ( you will see it and hear it a block away when i come on saturday) but i just need something behind the bumper to soothen it out. No not a SOOTHER:D
Ah I have one here for ya if ya need it ;)

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
doc_m said:
Ah I have one here for ya if ya need it ;)[/quo

Ya i heard and you want $50 for it

Hey i heard i already need to pay for you injectors and probally you intercooler next. so how about throw the Soother in for free

Last edited:

SuperChicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg TDI
An inline 2.5" turbo muffler will probably help a bit. I use a Flowmaster 50 on my Jetta 2.0T with good results. Nice deep tone without the "BRAAP" of unrestricted turbo exhaust.

I can understand the noise issue, I can hear drkblujetta coming before they even roll into our complex. Very distinct, even with the big dodge diesels running across the lot from our shop at DTT.

KROUT

persona non grata
Without the cat it is loud thats how my golf is. No muffler with a cat sounds good.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I think a 5th gear swap would help quite a bit with the droning - There is lots of information about this in the Fuel Economy Forum. Would take you out of the resonance range at crusing speeds (assuming you just don't drive faster :))

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
a good way to take the droaning away is place 2 cherry bomb mufflers inline and you will actually echo the sound of the turbo louder but the internal glass packs in them takes the droaning away completely... on mine you cant tell the stop muffler is gone tell i take off from a stop and you hear the turbo spooling and whineing. But anyways you can extend the tip past the car is another big thing.. anything you do with the exhuast under the car and then keep it under the car your making the noise echo off the ground or other metal parts under the car to make extra un-needed noise. Make it clean and simple and it will sound like sweet harmony.

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Thanks for the replies ,i could not reply this morning cause the batteries in my cordless keyboard went dead.

Thanks Ian i might try magnaflow but with the 2 1/4" so i dont need to modefy things. I will go with a complete 2 1/2 " system sometime.

Silverbox There was a reason i took my cat out,but you are right it sure smelled and smocked a lot more with the delete.

Fix_till_brocke,i bet it would and i will sometime do it. But right now i would like to have a cheap fix with just a straight throu muffler

4vdubs, i will go to lordco and see what they have in store,either the one you have or the magnaflow.

And storx,well i dont think i will put 2 blombs is it,i also like to have a clean look, even when just looking under the car.

If there are any other ideas out there , i am stil open ears. And thanks for the replies

Harald

drkblujetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi A4 ALH TDI
haha

I just love to make noise.......

At the higher RPM/Speeds the car sounds similar to a turbo gasser and at idle it sounds like a jet (like yours harald)

LOL.........

Silly boy:p
Noise is fun--especially when people lift an eyebrow "That's a diesel" hehe
SuperChicken said:

I can understand the noise issue, I can hear drkblujetta coming before they even roll into our complex. Very distinct, even with the big dodge diesels running across the lot from our shop at DTT.

Last edited:

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Hey Candice it is like i sayed ,i love the noise but traveling at hiway speeds even with 600 w and 2 x 12 inch subs it is almost unbarebale. now think of driving 600 km or more. So i just want to get rid of the drooning and keep loud noise:D

By the way Candace did you see the videos yet from the weekend

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I have two 15" resonators welded together just before the tip (4 motion valence, too). Good turbo whistle, not quiet, but not objectionable at all. It does resonate a bit at 2400 RPM but quiets down above that.

Another thing you could try is bump up the injection quantity. Less fuel=less noise.

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I am not sure if i will be coming, bosses are leaving soon for the states racing so i am all alone at work. Might take of early and maybe i might come out to mission. I might see you today or tomorrow if you come to the gtg

Harald

LA@JSPerformance.ca

Vendor , w/Business number
meangreen said:
Hey Candice it is like i sayed ,i love the noise but traveling at hiway speeds even with 600 w and 2 x 12 inch subs it is almost unbarebale. now think of driving 600 km or more. So i just want to get rid of the drooning and keep loud noise:D

By the way Candace did you see the videos yet from the weekend
Hey Harald,

I have a cheap solution for you - turn the radio up :) - I am joking of course.
Alot of the advice that has been given is good.

Come out to the races tonight and you can see my exhaust system - then you will know what a droon sound is all about (Jose removed the radio so that is all I listen to when driving the beast). There are a few TDI's coming out so it looks to be a good evening, I just hope the weather holds out.

SuperJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
My A5 without my muffler is just as quiet as with it. I made sure the tip protrudes a bit out of the back of the car.

My tip has a bit of built in resonator that helps too.
It has a bit of deeper tone when decellerating and accelerating, but you'd never notice it unless you where trying.

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well i do need a little more practice on my reation time. The last one i had against Sarah was good but i need to beat that R/T of .031 sec. Damm i have to remove the sub again ,and i filled up yesterday too

Upps i am hijacking my own thread :D

FOG

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 2-Door
The 1.8T/VR6 mid pipe is the best bet. Gos in with no mods and all the OEM mounts are the same, no mickey mouse s---. Walt

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I think i will keep it as it is,heard from to many people that the car sounds awsome. Specialy at drive by speeds.
Thanks everyone for the replies

Harald