Mpg?

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Silver Manual Jetta Wagon (sold) *@*
Hi all,
I just got a 02 wagon with 98k on it and wondering what's the "avarage" mpg for these cars? Does it really matter: # of people in the car, A/C, stereo... etc? I know it is a big difference between city/highway driving but really don't have "actual" driving mpg to compare to.
Thanks for your input!
Jess

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
Probably one of the most important factors is the type of transmission. Automatic or manual?
I had a 2002, I have an 03 now. I have always gotten about 42-50 mgp or so, depending upon the weather, driving conditions, etc.

jessica_rabbit said:
Hi all,
I just got a 02 wagon with 98k on it and wondering what's the "avarage" mpg for these cars? Does it really matter: # of people in the car, A/C, stereo... etc? I know it is a big difference between city/highway driving but really don't have "actual" driving mpg to compare to.
Thanks for your input!
Jess

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
jessica_rabbit said:
Average is about 45 mpg with the 5-speed manual, about 40 mpg with the 4-speed automatic.

In New York, probably a little better in spring and fall, worst in winter.

In almost all climates, worse mileage if mostly city driving and worse mileage if trips are short. Always best if you have a long commute.

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
Hm...

Mine is a Manual and got 31 mpg at my first fill up. That is with a 3 hour trip from PA and most others with city driving, all with A/C and stereo on. Is that normal or is there something wrong with the car?

Jess

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Much too soon to tell. Report back in 2000 miles.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I have an '03. The worst that I have gotten is 38, best of 53. Both are the extremes. With performance upgrades, I average about 43. Prior to modding(I drove slower then also), I used to average 48.
If you don't do much better over the next couple of tanks, have someone knowledgeable check your car out. Clogged intake and offset timing would be suspects.

mike944

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
It's possible that there's something wrong, but let's check the obvious first.

Mileage will vary SIGNIFICANTLY depending on how you drive. Especially in city driving, if you're one of those people who feel the need to get from red light to red light as quickly as possible, your mileage is going to suck. I've done some experiments, and my can can range anywhere from 29 to 49 mpg, depending on how "heavy" my right foot is. That's in my '01 automatic Jetta.

Since you have a manual, how far do you rev it before you shift? You should be shifting at fairly low RPM's compared to a gas engine. I have an auto, so i won't comment on exact shift points, but my trans almost always shifts below 2500.

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
no, I don't have a heavy foot. I usually shift around 2.5 -3 rpm. I went to my trusted machanic yesterday and he told me that my air intake was completly clogged. So, he cleaned it and now we'll see how many miles per gallon I'll get with this tank. Thanks for all the input!

Jess

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 golf 175k (totaled, sold) 2000 golf tdi 375k (Malone 1.5) 2002 green diesel bug
I shift around 2000-2200 before engine is warmed up and 2200-3000 warm and all set. Keep an eye on the intake, injectors, filters ect. Decent general maint is crucial.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
jessica_rabbit said:
no, I don't have a heavy foot. I usually shift around 2.5 -3 rpm. I went to my trusted machanic yesterday and he told me that my air intake was completly clogged. So, he cleaned it and now we'll see how many miles per gallon I'll get with this tank. Thanks for all the input!

Jess
It would appear to me that you have addressed the most likely source of your problem.

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
zaeli said:
I shift around 2000-2200 before engine is warmed up and 2200-3000 warm and all set. Keep an eye on the intake, injectors, filters ect. Decent general maint is crucial.
How do I check the injectors? I can locate them but how do tell if they are good or not? sorry, but I am really new at this and would like to learn.

jess

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
jessica_rabbit said:
How do I check the injectors? I can locate them but how do tell if they are good or not?
You don't really have to check them. But if you have an uneven idle, one of the several things that might cause that would be a bad nozzle.

Most folks don't even replace nozzles unless they want more power. It's pretty far down the list of troubleshooting a problem.

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
I am going out of my mind here. HELP!

Today I went to fill up on half of tank of gas then realized that I only got 25 mpg for that half of tank. Granted that the car was idling at the machanics for ~20 minutes but 25 mpg? It seems to me that something is really wrong! The car drives well and accelarates well, idles fine and no loud noises also the air intake has just been cleaned! I can't figure it out. We got the car for the 40+ mpg not 25! The previous owner used Rotella T 5W-40 Syn. oil, is that ok or is that a problem?

:( jess

KentSzabo

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Mojave Beige Metallic
Make sure the tires are at maximum allowable pressure, I run 43 PSI on my Yokohama AVID H4S. My '02 Golf with 104K miles on it gets 48.58 MPG with 50% A/C usage, 90% highway 10% city. Also I have always used the Shell Rotella-T 5-40 Synthetic.
The problem in your's may be a clogged intake manifold if it doen't have either the EGR or CCV mod.

Last edited:

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tire pressure will not make that much of a difference, unless you are running 20psi. Since the intake has been cleaned- if done right, then the next item to check should be the timing.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
jessica_rabbit said:
"...also the air intake has just been cleaned!"
Did your mechanic actually remove your intake manifold and completely de-gunk it? (The entire job should take at least an hour. If seriously clogged the intake manifold cleaning usually takes longer than the actual remove and replacement of the parts).

Could it be that he just cleaned the air filter and snow screen? :confused:

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
If you're willing to make a trip up to Windsor, CT, I'd be happy to check your timing with the VAG-COM, run a can of diesel purge through and anything else that the collective wisdom suggests. My wagon regularly returns high 40's. Best is 52.1 mpg, worst is 37.5 towing a trailer at 70-75 mph, A/C on, loaded.

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
Occams_Razor,
I am not sure what he acutally did but I know it didn't take an hour for him to clean the air intake. I am going back on Wednesday.

meganuke,
THANK YOU so much for your offer. You made my day just knowing that people like you exists and help is out there. THANK YOU!!! I am going back to the machanic on Wed. to give him another shot at this. If this doesn't resolve the issue, I am afraid I would really need your help. I am new at this and would love the opportunity to watch a Vet. TDIer work. :D

jess

KentSzabo

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Mojave Beige Metallic
If it took less than an hour he probably just cleaned the snow screen, not the intake manifold. The combination of the soot from the EGR valve plus the oil mist form the positive crankcase ventilation system combine to form a sludge in the intake manifold, and over time the sludge build up clogs the intake manifold to the point where it blocks air passage, thus causing a drastic loss of power and terrible mileage. Without mods this usuallt happens from 40K to 60K miles, if it was let go to 98K I can understand only getting 25 MPG.

Last edited:

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
My husband talked to the machanic today and he said that he cleaned the whole manifold and we believe him (he's our friend and machanic and the family had been bring cars to him for over 20 years). I guess I lost track of time. But mpg still suck! Still going tomorrow, Wed, so he can check the timing belt. I hope this gets resolved soon. I have not been sleeping as I should... and will not until this is over........................

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Checking the timing belt is one thing...that makes sure things don't go *crunch* inside the engine. Checking the timing with a VAG-COM is different. There are a lot of things you can see and adjust with the computer that you can't see with a physical inspection.

No offense to your mechanic friend, but these cars are very particular. I'm certainly not a veteran wrench, but I do all my own mods and maintenance as well as the maintenance on my mother's 1.8T passat. I'd be happy to take a look at your car anytime you can make it up.

An intake cleaning takes about 3 hours, minimum.

debensey

Veteran Member
I have an '00 Jetta and a '03 wagon, both w/ 5 speed manual. Real world mileage is low 40s for city driving and up to 50 on the highway. If you are only getting 25, something is wrong. Timing should be checked with a VAGCOM. There is a VAGCOM user list at the top of the page. Most folks who put their name there are willing to let you bring your car by to be tested. Have you had your timing belt changed? I don't remember whether the "02s had the 60, 80 or 100K mile belt change interval. If the previous owner changed the belt, it may be that the timing was not properly set afterward. If the belt hasn't been changed, you are due. Don't go past your belt change interval. If the belt breaks you will need to rebuild or replace your engine.

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks everyone.

debensey: Thanks for the info. The previous owner changed the tb at 88k and he did do it himself. I will have the car checked with the VAG-COM.

meganuke: I will pm you with when is the best time to trouble you. :D