Mpg of a jetta sportwagon?

jimigunne

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM
I currently have a 2006 jetta tdi sedan. Not a wagon body style. Brm engine. It consistently gets 44mpg hwy. I need to replace it now at 330k mi. Jdtta tdi are pretty scarce, but i located one that is a 2010 jetta tdi sportwagon with moon roof. (Wish it didnt have a moon roof, its just a potential leakage problem). The official epa mpg hwy is only 37 mpg. So im thinking that perhaps the wagon is heavier than the sedan version, and so maybe it would get a few mpg less. We have a long daily commute, so i want to be sure the mpg on replacement car is equal to current, not less. Gas bill is already high enough.

Reply Quote

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

Write your reply...
Remove formatting

BoldItalicUnderline

Text colorFont size

AttachmentInsert linkInsert imageGallery embedSmiliesInsert

AlignmentListInsert table

UndoRedo

DraftsToggle BB code

PreviewPost reply

Recommended Reading
  1. Advice on 2010 jetta...buy gas or tdi model?
    VW Jetta MKV 2005.5–2010
  2. MPG for Mk 5 TDI
    VW Jetta MKV 2005.5–2010
  3. close to needed a new to me mkIV any suggestions?
    VW Jetta / Bora MKIV 1998 Euro,1999.5 US -2005
  4. Diesel vs gas engine?
    FAQs
  5. Mpg??
    VW Jetta MKIII 1991–1998
  • VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada
  • The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo
  • jettajunkie.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on jettajunkie.com is generated by its users. jettajunkie.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI
Just purchased a 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 47K miles.

127 mile drive home resulted in 40.8 mpg which was 95% freeway 65 to 70 mph.

In town seems to be resulting in about 35.6 mpg. Not spirited driving just driving.

I don't seem to be getting these amazing 55 and 65 mpg numbers. Not sure where those numbers are coming from. However I'm happy so far with the fuel mileage I'm seeing.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
If you check Fuelly.com the average is 33-38 mpg hand calculated per tank. My 2010 6MT gets 33-36 in my normal driving cycle which is like 70% freeway. Don’t trust what the display says, calculate it yourself.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Wait until you delete and tune it... you can enjoy consistent 50+ MPG every tank, and run 20k miles between oil change intervals because the oil stays so clean. That is, so long as you don't drive it *too* crazy. And we are talking the low stage tune, so a very small (10hp) bump in output. I got a couple 56 MPG tanks, mostly highway. That was on a DSG sedan. The wagon shouldn't be much different.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I currently have a 2006 jetta tdi sedan. Not a wagon body style. Brm engine. It consistently gets 44mpg hwy. I need to replace it now at 330k mi. Jdtta tdi are pretty scarce, but i located one that is a 2010 jetta tdi sportwagon with moon roof. (Wish it didnt have a moon roof, its just a potential leakage problem). The official epa mpg hwy is only 37 mpg. So im thinking that perhaps the wagon is heavier than the sedan version, and so maybe it would get a few mpg less. We have a long daily commute, so i want to be sure the mpg on replacement car is equal to current, not less. Gas bill is already high enough.

Reply Quote

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

Write your reply...
Remove formatting

BoldItalicUnderline

Text colorFont size

AttachmentInsert linkInsert imageGallery embedSmiliesInsert

AlignmentListInsert table

UndoRedo

DraftsToggle BB code

PreviewPost reply

Recommended Reading
  1. Advice on 2010 jetta...buy gas or tdi model?
    VW Jetta MKV 2005.5–2010
  2. MPG for Mk 5 TDI
    VW Jetta MKV 2005.5–2010
  3. close to needed a new to me mkIV any suggestions?
    VW Jetta / Bora MKIV 1998 Euro,1999.5 US -2005
  4. Diesel vs gas engine?
    FAQs
  5. Mpg??
    VW Jetta MKIII 1991–1998
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Help
  • Contact us
  • RSS
  • VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada
  • The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo
  • jettajunkie.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on jettajunkie.com is generated by its users. jettajunkie.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG

Is your old one rusted bad?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Wait until you delete and tune it... you can enjoy consistent 50+ MPG every tank, and run 20k miles between oil change intervals because the oil stays so clean. That is, so long as you don't drive it *too* crazy. And we are talking the low stage tune, so a very small (10hp) bump in output. I got a couple 56 MPG tanks, mostly highway. That was on a DSG sedan. The wagon shouldn't be much different.
What speed (by gps) do you drive? 55? I rarely touch 40 at 70mph

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My morning drive almost always (weather permitting) involves a quick sprint to triple digit speeds, then back down to a leisurely 80 cruise for the 50 miles to work. Home is a different route, with lots of twisty two lane roads. I rarely ever touch the brake pedal. I don't own the couple of CJAAs I had anymore, however. But I do drive a lot of them for customers out my way who drop them off at my house to drive in for service.

TDI
Yes, I'm already looking into these options, very interesting reading so far. It's however not going to be anytime soon as I believe there's still extended warranty. Would love to be in the 50's for an average!

2tone1

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDi
2012 spw, dsg, cjaa with 70,000 miles. Proir to deletes, cp3 and tune 33 mpg. After, 42.5 on a 60 mile journey. Thats over the winter.

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
After 4 years - 50,000 miles - my 2013 TDI JSW 6M - per Fuelly - was 44 MPG - in 65City35 Hwy............

YMMV

ez

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
2014 jsw 6m - average ~ 38 in mixed driving (70/30), just over 40 on trips. Haven't done any extended interstate speeds yet (80+) to see how it does with that. Computer Ave mpg typically reads 4+ mpg high ;-)

For comparison, with the same driving mix my brm (06 5m) would do about 44 and my alh (99.5 5m) about 50.

Last edited:

TDNation

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
How much heavier is the Sportwagen compared to the Golf? I have a Rawtek eco kit and Malone stage 2 tune on my 2011 two door Golf 6MT and regularly get 48 mpg (calculated)

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
How much heavier is the Sportwagen compared to the Golf? I have a Rawtek eco kit and Malone stage 2 tune on my 2011 two door Golf 6MT and regularly get 48 mpg (calculated)
I drove over the scale at my prev work. Read 3600lbs. I average 38-40mpg hand calculated. Interstate I get 38.

Highwaylizard

TDI
Just purchased a 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 47K miles.

127 mile drive home resulted in 40.8 mpg which was 95% freeway 65 to 70 mph.

In town seems to be resulting in about 35.6 mpg. Not spirited driving just driving.

I don't seem to be getting these amazing 55 and 65 mpg numbers. Not sure where those numbers are coming from. However I'm happy so far with the fuel mileage I'm seeing.
I just bought a 2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI as well - 159,000 miles on it. I will be bringing it home tomorrow and am eager to see what kind of mileage I achieve over a 125 mile drive.

Last edited:

Highwaylizard

TDI
Brought the new-to-me 2014 SportWagen TDI home today. Drove 125.1 miles pump to pump (Cincinnati to Indianapolis) at 80 MPH with the exception of stop and go through an 8 mile long construction zone and then at 55 MPH through Indianapolis. Topped off in Cincinnati and again in Indianapolis. Burned 3.851 gallons of fuel for an average of 32.4 MPG. Rather disappointed with that and have some work to do there. I am also aware that this was not a valid test as one pump varies to the next and that data must be generated over a long period of time.

Other than that I love the car. It is a blast to drive and comfortable. I'm looking forward to getting familiar with all the ins and outs of the car.

TDeanI

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat TDI Wagon w/ 286K mi.
32.4 mpg at 80 mph would be over 40 mpg at 70 mph and below. What was your tire pressure? Run close to max tire pressure for best gas mileage.

Not many newer cars can get over 40 mpg at 80 mph without modifications.

Highwaylizard

TDI
32.4 mpg at 80 mph would be over 40 mpg at 70 mph and below. What was your tire pressure? Run close to max tire pressure for best gas mileage.

Not many newer cars can get over 40 mpg at 80 mph without modifications.
Thanks. I am not sure what the tire pressure was but will check when I get it back from the shop. Having the timing belt done and the suspension returned to it's stock height. I could do the timing belt but I cannot get the car up my driveway into my garage from the street because of how low the car sits to the ground.