MPG Increase?

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI
Hello,
I'm curious, haven't found, seen or heard anything regarding mpg as the engine of a TDI is broken in.
At what point is it considered "broken in"?
Finally If it does increase as the engine wears in how much does it increase over how many miles.

I have a Dodge diesel truck and mpg increased about 6 mpg from when I bought it new. Just wondering if this happens with a TDI.

Thanks

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Loaded question.
First of all, tell us about your TDI. Is it new? Does it have lots of miles on the clock? Is it stock? Are you the original owner and\or do you have all maintenance records? Lots of these things, and many more will impact your MPGs. Stick or Slushbox?

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Hello,
I'm curious, haven't found, seen or heard anything regarding mpg as the engine of a TDI is broken in.
At what point is it considered "broken in"?
Finally If it does increase as the engine wears in how much does it increase over how many miles.
I have a Dodge diesel truck and mpg increased about 6 mpg from when I bought it new. Just wondering if this happens with a TDI.Thanks
We have lots of threads discussing ways in which to measure this, as well as various ancillary "engine break-in" topics. A search will reveal many good discussions, although most will focus on earlier engines, and few are comprehensive. Typically owners have measured break-in on a zero mileage engine through several methods, including monitoring the results of oil analysis, compression, fuel economy, etc. I'm sure there have been other discussions, but you'd have to do the reading.

In general, yes, most owners here tend to report a slight fuel economy increase as mileage increases (compared to new). Again, going back 20 years and reading will give you a better idea, but my sense is that most owners report FE improving slighly until somewhere between 20k and 60k miles, and then leveling off. The duration of this "higher" FE is then almost entirely a product of driving style and conditions, maintenance, and all the other factors found in "Tips for FE" thread. Additionally, like most other things with fuel economy, there are so many variables that's it's difficult to be precise, and as soon as owners replace their first set of tires or make other changes, it's nearly impossible to ascribe MPG numbers solely to engine conditions.

We've had 5 TDIs ourselves, and lots of TDI friends, and the increase in FE has varied, and has differed based on numerous factors (engine type, driver, transmission, city vs highway, location, etc.). I can't speak to the Mk6, so others with those engines will have to chime in, but our ALHs saw a minor slow increase in city-hwy, from 2 to 4 MPG vs the first 10k miles.

I have to add (not that you asked) but the most notable thing has been duration. One of our old ALH 5M's has 260,000 miles on it (a baby compared to some) and can get 54mpg hwy without trying hard.

HTH.

Don77

TDI
1999 Seat Toledo 1L AFN
Hi Guys,
I have just bought again a TDI (AFN) and there was a few tanking since than. The average is 3,9L/100km (the best is 3,4 was but not for full tank and only outside the city with a lot of enginebrake, etc) BUT I want to increase his FE, of course :)
He is over the first 400.000km (290K in the clock but it is not the reality).
What kind of modifications would you advice to get higher MPG?

For example is there an 'ECO' camshaft for 1.9TDI AFN?
Straight pipe would help to improve it?
Many thanks for all your advice. :)

Last edited:

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Those engines are "foreign" to us on this side of the pond.... I stopped reading when I saw you're using less than 1/2 of what I'm using and are STILL chasing FE.... too jealous to be supportive :p

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
TDIs that I've bought new (or had new engines installed, like my Wagon) have appeared to become fully broken in at about 60K miles. In several cases I've seen a noticeable jump in FE at those miles. There was a thread here years ago that showed TDIs reached full compression at about that mileage, and it then stayed pretty stable until 375-400K, where wear took over and it started to drop.

Don77

TDI
1999 Seat Toledo 1L AFN
@TurboABA
:ROFLMAO:BUT I reached it by hypermiller driving tricks and outside city on a limited 80-90Km/h steady speed.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
@Don77..... let me clarify my anger..... my TDI is 3x the displacement, 2.2Ts, and can't even achieve your current FE if I were to drive it off a cliff and turn the engine off before I hit the bottom!

Don77

TDI
1999 Seat Toledo 1L AFN
@TurboABA
OK, I see your point. I would like to say something encouraging to you. Let me see. My previous AHU Toledo drank 5,6-6L/100km in mid city circle. So not the very best result. Both car had chip modification by the previous owner.

Of course I don't want to slap on my own back just try to find another explanation for my results. Incase of a Volvo V40 with 1.6 petrol engine I reached 5,8L/100km average on highway (appr. mainly at 115km/h) + short city circumtances. I wrote it in a facebook S40/V40 forum and the result was that I step out from the forum because everybody thought - hearing the unbelievable values - that I was lying. So maybe it is mainly for me to reach these results.
Another example: 1982 Volvo 244 with 2.383ccm rebuilt diesel engine (the same in VW LT) I reached 4,2 (or 4,3??) average on steady 80km/h outside the city. Of course with over inflated tyres (appr. 2.8 or 3.0bar). BUT Deleting power steering was a big suck: resulted in no FE gain and with the extra heavy engine steering my old Volvo was a real bodybuilding action during parking or Y turnover.:ROFLMAO:

Don77

TDI
1999 Seat Toledo 1L AFN
@IndigoBlueWagon
I don't know whether it is a true statement that TDI loose from their FE after 400K. My previous Toledo (1Z) was chip tunned too (by the previous owner) and beside the fact that there were 550K+ in its clock I reached 3,8L/100km outside city at appr. 80-90km/h. And of course measuring on the fuelstation and counting distance by GPS. The computer of it showed 1-1.1(!!!) litre less than the real consumption.In addition to it wasn't a well serviced vehicle. It looked like it escaped from a junkyard and at very low rmp the engine was shaking. I guess the nozzles weren't in the best condition.
My present Toledo looks like it is much better condition (based on the appearance of it) but I should have a review at my car mechanic.
And he was 375K HUF less than 1K Euro... I love old TDIs:love:

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
@IndigoBlueWagon
I don't know whether it is a true statement that TDI loose from their FE after 400K.
Didn't write that. I wrote the compression will start to fall at about that mileage. Emphasis on about, because driving habits and care will obviously matter, too. My son's ALH with 440K miles on it still gets great FE and shows no evidence of falling compression. But it's been well maintained and correctly driven since new.