MPG impressions on 2015 Golf so far

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
Mine reads 3-4km/h too fast; like, at an indicated 120km/h, I'm at 116km/h on a GPS.
A friend of mine who works for the dealership advised me that the speedometer will read 5km/h faster for safety. I confirmed that with my GPS and speed radar

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
A friend of mine who works for the dealership advised me that the speedometer will read 5km/h faster for safety. I confirmed that with my GPS and speed radar
That's weird. I don't care much for their nanny explanations, an instrument is either accurate, a bit off or it sucks and needs serious recalibration (and 3mph off downright sucks). Mine shows exactly what my Garmin (or my previous GPS) does. It did from the factory. So, maybe what your friend says applies to Canada only (which, still, I'd find very strange). But then again, strange does happen.

I recently drove in your area (around Vancouver, Whistler, Grouse Mt etc). Beautiful country!

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I'll take inaccuracy a luxury!!!

My last vehicle the cable broke going down to gearbox. Drove without a speedometer for 12 years.

Kept the mileage down though! Still has around 37,000 on the clock, she's a 1994!

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
Speedometers tend to read fast for safety, but 5km/h is too high and too specific for a lot of vehicles.

I find that people who work at dealerships are often inaccurate. Readers of this and other forums seem to be better informed. For instance: 1) I asked four Audi certified mechanics about the recall on the B7's cam follower, a well-discussed problem on Audi Forum. Only one said he "might of heard something about that." 2) After getting the second emissions fix on my TDI, the service guys said that this is the last one for my car. I went home and reread my letter from VW which says somewhere down the road I will get another recall service as my parts age. 3) Our Volvo dealership was unable diagnose a cam position sensor failure after having the car in four or five times. My wife (a graphic artist) through frustration described the symptoms on Swedish Bricks and multiple people had it narrowed down to five possibilities within a few hours. We over-nighted the part and I installed it the next day.

Dealership people are great sources of info, but check their work.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
VW speedometers typically read 2-3 MPH high. Have for a long time. My MKIV is right around there. However, my 2015 GSW seems closer to accurate.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
thought this was interesting... from my MFD on a recent trip yesterday...

since start....
187 miles
3:46 minutes
average 50MPH
average MPG: 71.7

very impressive....

Southalabama84

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S
I just updated over a years worth of data into Fuelly. I'm coming up on four years since I bought the car new and just unber 75k miles.

My mileage has dropped some due to a different commute and we just relocated to NC this summer so its going to take a few more months to get an average for my new commute.

Right now i'm averaging about 65 miles a day commute round trip.

sprstu

Veteran Member
TDI
mk1 TD, GSW TDI 6spd

Just over 42mpg so far in 18months and 23K miles. The ECU reads hilariously high so when I see people posting about their amazing 50+ mpg life I wonder if they are actually calculating their mpg or just reading from the display and getting a false sense of driving.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Just over 42mpg so far in 18months and 23K miles. The ECU reads hilariously high so when I see people posting about their amazing 50+ mpg life I wonder if they are actually calculating their mpg or just reading from the display and getting a false sense of driving.
I've logged every mile since I purchased mine new (old stock) in May 2017. I'm at 55.4 mpg lifetime in my DSG. I have an ideal commute for mpgs: long, flat, rural, 50 mph speed limit.

Last tank was 702.8 miles. Best tank was 800.4 miles.

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I've logged every mile since I purchased mine new (old stock) in May 2017. I'm at 55.4 mpg lifetime in my DSG. I have an ideal commute for mpgs: long, flat, rural, 50 mph speed limit.
Last tank was 702.8 miles. Best tank was 800.4 miles.
Wow. I can't figure out why mine is so low. I've owned the car for just over a year now. After 9836 the average is 37.3 with the best MPG being 42.5

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Wow. I can't figure out why mine is so low. I've owned the car for just over a year now. After 9836 the average is 37.3 with the best MPG being 42.5
Your FE is much more representative than Blue Hen's. His driving conditions are optimal for best FE.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Yep. When I did my Midwest road trip with my sons this summer, doing 80 mph+ and 95% highway, I dipped into the 40s.

It was horrifying! :p
hahaha :D

I keep trying to break 600 miles on a tank but that's about my upper limit so far on anything except the bug.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I think those numbers are actually higher than the original FE numbers, although only by 1 MPG.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I think those numbers are actually higher than the original FE numbers, although only by 1 MPG.

If the GSW and Golf had the same mileage, that's correct. The Monroney sticker on the 2015 GSW TDI DSG states: 35 combined, 31 city, 42 highway.

It's amazing how much better the cars do in the real world.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I drove non stop 481 miles, and still had over a 1/3 tank.

Flat ground, 65.

Could of drove faster, but I had 9 bottles of 190 pf everclear behind mu seat.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
As long as they haven't been opened it shouldn't be an issue. Unless you are under age. That last 1/3 goes way faster than the first 1/3. For both of those fuels!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
190 proof isn't legal in quite a few states. 95% pure alcohol is dangerous stuff straight.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
the other thing is in some states you can only legally carry xxxx_? amount at one time without a state permit....

just be careful you know the laws state to state if you are going to carry it across state lines... in parts of the south, you do not carry alcohol across state lines unless you want some real trouble...

UmeshT

TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI 6 Speed Manual
3 weeks of ownership
1st fill was 42.6 mpg
2nd was 40.3
Love this car so far

UmeshT

TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI 6 Speed Manual
Congrats and welcome. Has your recall been done? Impressive, Are those HWY miles?
Thanks....Mainly highway with light city. I know the 1st stage recall has been done according to the sticker under the hood and when I ran the vin through the recall sight it doesn't show anything pending.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
About 1,300 miles since purchase just before Christmas. Best tank 46.7 (all highway steady 65 & 75 MPH per speed limits and per dash speedometer) Worst tank 33.2 (all city stop and go). Average over 7 fillups 38.9. I noticed that the MFD is very accurate on the city MPG but it was somewhat optimistic on the highway MPG.

Last edited:

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Tracked 669 miles through Fuelly so far on my 2015 GSW (plus the current tank about 260 miles). Pretty happy with the mileage.

First tank was 36.6 with a fair bit of in town and traffic driving (quite literally I believe the first full tank ran through the car since it was fixed with Phase 1). Second tank was 37.8 mpg with slightly more highway mixed in. Keep in mind about 8 miles of my commute home from work is about a 6% incline highway at 65 mph or so on a semi windy road! Also, living in a rather hilly part of California.

I am very happy with this car so far, the mileage is more than double what I was getting before and it rides really smooth with a good sounding stereo! I will be topping off tomorrow before I head to school. Always laugh at the pump how quickly it pumps 7-9 gallons compared to the 20 gallons on average I was pumping before, not to mention the price difference!

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Tucson-Northwest Phoenix (Sun City West) and back (350 miles) with about 10% of it city today got 45.2. 75 MPH most of the way and ran AC for about an hour. Pretty pleased with that.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Figured I should share mine with 66,xxx miles and 4 years owned since new. Have been logging on Fuelly since day one. I drive about 90 miles 3-4 days a week mostly highway or 50mph back roads. Hard on the car and cruise 70-85 average. Best MPG on a tank was 49.8 on a smooth steady trip at 45-50 mph. Lifetime mileage is 41.5 as of now. I've had both emissions stages done and have had a tune for about a year nearly 17k.

Still love the car!