MPG impressions on 2015 Golf so far

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
a car is a tool for me. who cares how old it is if it runs and does what it supposed to do. besides these are volkswagens, they are nothing special

Just a tool or not and nothing special (define special)some of us like a few more modern features. Do you still use a 16-year-old cell phone or computer?

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen 2015 Blue Silk
I don't know what goes on out there with all these high mpg figures I see, but with my 2015 GSW stick I had 50mpg only 2-3 times in the 50k miles I had it, and so far my 2015 GSW DSG has never hit 50mpg in 24k miles. 90% of both cars mileage was highway, mostly 75mph. Both cars were real consistent around 47mpg.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I don't know what goes on out there with all these high mpg figures I see, but with my 2015 GSW stick I had 50mpg only 2-3 times in the 50k miles I had it, and so far my 2015 GSW DSG has never hit 50mpg in 24k miles. 90% of both cars mileage was highway, mostly 75mph. Both cars were real consistent around 47mpg.

Well, I figured out years ago that some of the community are just interested in fooling the others to make out like they have the best fuel economy of any car you or I could own( bragging rights like school children ya know my Dad can beat upp your dad). I think much of that is BS data. I have never achieved these quoted numbers except on a very rare occasion. And they speak like that is what they achieve all the time.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Read the post. :D

Also, I have always put the lie-o-meter number in my Fuelly notes, so you can see it's always 3-5 mpg optimistic.

I read the post and it says nothing about a hand calculated tank average just a photo of the lieometer and when you took that you could have been coasting downhill. :D

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I read the post and it says nothing about a hand calculated tank average just a photo of the lieometer and when you took that you could have been coasting downhill. :D

Are you familiar with Fuelly? Feel free to go through literally every one of my fill-ups since new. It's a really neat website. You just click on my signature and it takes you right there. There's the last tank, best tank, and average tank right there for you to see. It spoon feeds it all to you right there at the top.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI

"mostly 75mph"

You answered your own question right there.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, I figured out years ago that some of the community are just interested in fooling the others to make out like they have the best fuel economy of any car you or I could own( bragging rights like school children ya know my Dad can beat upp your dad). I think much of that is BS data. I have never achieved these quoted numbers except on a very rare occasion. And they speak like that is what they achieve all the time.:rolleyes:

Are you insinuating that I am lying about my fuel numbers? I assure you I am not. God's honest numbers on every tank since new. Check my Fuelly.

By the way, I'll be passing through Wisconsin the last week of June. If you'd like to ride in my car and watch to make sure I'm not a big liar, I offer you that opportunity. I'd be glad to give you some pointers on how to get better mileage as well. Let me know.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
By the way, I'll be passing through Wisconsin the last week of June. If you'd like to ride in my car and watch to make sure I'm not a big liar, I offer you that opportunity. I'd be glad to give you some pointers on how to get better mileage as well. Let me know.

Fine look me up I would be glad to read your MFI while you drive. Then you must fill your tank and run the fuel out afterwards I will hand calculate your fuel usage. This could take a while I hope you like my company for a few days..maybe a week as you don't use much fuel. Your Fuelly is only as true as the data you put in it eh? :D

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fine look me up I would be glad to read your MFI while you drive. Then you must fill your tank and run the fuel out afterwards I will hand calculate your fuel usage. This could take a while I hope you like my company for a few days..maybe a week as you don't use much fuel. Your Fuelly is only as true as the data you put in it eh? :D
You aren’t really this dumb, right? Fuelly is a hand calculation. I have all data since new. It’s all right there. Feel free to see a hand calculation of all 46 fill-ups.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Blue_Hen your FE is impressive, due, as you've pointed out, to your driving circumstances that are ideal for maximizing FE in this vehicle. Enjoy. I don't expect to ever get close to those kind of numbers, but my '15 is doing OK, seeing around 44 MPG in my kind of normal driving (some suburban, some traffic, 75-80 highway). You may want to consider recalibrating your FE indicator with VCDS to get it closer to accurate. Mine is usually within 1 MPG of pencil and paper.

The thing that I still love about my MKIV and won't get in my MKVII is range like what I saw this morning:

Vented my Wagon holds about 17 gallons. I wish the GSW had similar capacity. And I can see 50 MPG in summer in the ALH without really trying. Not going to happen in the '15. I still like the car, but I do get a bit of a silly version of range anxiety with it. I guess it all depends on what you're used to.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I’ll get around to calibrating the lie-o-meter some day, IBW, but it’s not really a priority as I hand calculate every tank.

And yes, everyone who gets their panties in a wad over my mpg numbers are usually people who have no idea that Delmarva is table-flat and I drive to work at 4am for over 50 miles on a 2-lane rural road with 50mph speed limit. I sometimes do not see another car for five to ten minutes at a time. I just set cruise at 55 to stay out of trouble with the county mounties, who are always out there in the dark.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Vented my Wagon holds about 17 gallons. I wish the GSW had similar capacity. And I can see 50 MPG in summer in the ALH without really trying. Not going to happen in the '15. I still like the car, but I do get a bit of a silly version of range anxiety with it. I guess it all depends on what you're used to.
Me too. Now I don't feel as much like a nutcase, or at least like the only nutcase in the asylum! Its funny, though; I don't feel the "anxiety" when stepping out of the B4V and into the MkIV Golf. But I don't dare try going from the B4V to the MkVII; exactly half the range. What a wonderful problem to have.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I've been averaging 48-52 in the Golf with the upgrades which is amazing to me because I get into the power pretty often and am still logging quite a bit. The Jetta does almost exactly the same in the same exact conditions, but I too would love a bigger fuel tank in the Golf!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
I drive my GSW to work and back for about 120mi, 115 of which on the highway. I drive 60 to 65 on the 55mph limit stretch, and 70 to 73 (rarely over) on the 70mph stretch (2/3 of my whole commute).

I DO get 50mpg+ (53 is not a surprise) consistently in fair weather (above 55F, no headwind, rain etc). Any meteorological event can hit my mpg significantly, and it happens not so infrequently. For example, water on the road (even shortly after a downpour, not necessarily during it) can make me drop below 47mpg. Wind, even worse. Frigid weather in winter also hits my mpg significantly: in otherwise fair conditions except cold, I get maybe around 47mpg if it's in the 30's, 45mpg or worse if it's in the low 20's or single digits.

I hand calculate my FE. I also used OBDII to recalibrate the displayed FE by -7%, so now it's almost spot on (maybe +- 1mpg discrepancy).

Also, my route is not even close to flat terrain (southwestern PA, northern WV). I'm positive I'd do better on the flats.

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen 2015 Blue Silk
I figured my 75mph driving was hurting me. In VA, most of the interstates, most of their length, have 70mph speed limits, so 75mph is rather the norm. There have been long drives on lesser roads with 60mph limits where I could see the car is doing much better. What I'm most impressed by is that the 2015 gets the same mileage as my ALH despite the added power, weight, and emissions. Technology marches on!

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
In my opinion, the lieometer is irrelevant if the post shows the trip and gallons pumped.

Beyond that it's anyone reading the post has the responsibility to hand Calc if they're interested, and no room to talk garbage.

Results are results, good or bad, and Neither are BS

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
Personally, I don't believe the odometer. It is inaccurate as demonstrated by the differences in my GPS mileage from the trip odometer depending on if I have street or snow tires on. Each odometer mile equals 0.9885064253 GPS miles for street tires and 0.9804591837 GPS miles for snow tires. I trust the GPS miles more as it is not affected by tire circumference, turns on and off with the key, and I am careful to have good GPS coverage prior to starting the engine. In the event of GPS malfunction, my Excel document has an expected GPS mileage value for each of the two tire types. The GPS mileage is also compared with Google Maps on a 600-mile trip that I make every month and the GPS is pretty much dead on. My odometer says that the car has 19,627.3 miles on it when it actually has more in the neighborhood of 19,255.9. If I went off of my odometer, my average MPG would be nearly another 1 MPG more optimistic. I am confident that my Fuelly couldn't be more accurate than it is without expensive lab equipment.

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
And use an abacus. Better peace of mind and experience during calculations.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
My wife and I have iPhones, her's a 7 plus, mine a 6. I have a fit bit charge 2 (uses the phone for GPS tracking).

We go hiking, we hike the same trail my fitbit states I did 8 miles, my phone says I've done 6.7, her phone says it's done 8.6 miles.

She claims she does more miles cause she side steps more boulders that I do.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Resisting urge to suggest why wife’s might show more activity.

But then again, I was married once, and I know that activity is drastically reduced and may perhaps cease altogether after marriage! :D

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Oh man. Every night my Garmin says I do 10 miles on p0rnhub....

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Today was one of those favorable tailwind days for the commute home. 15 mph out of the west and my commute is due east. This car is incredible:

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
Going 50 mph on parkways/highways is painful for me...with my 6 MT running at 2000 RPM in 6th gear my speed is around 75 MPH...anything under 2000 RPM and it feels like I am lugging the engine.
With not much traffic, my engine seems happiest between 75 and 90...which probably explains my average mileage of around 35 mpg.
:D

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That pic was doing mostly 65 mph. The 50 mph average came from slowdowns on 50 between DC and Annapolis and then all the lights, stop signs, and 25 mph zones through two small towns on my commute. To average 50 mph on a decent drive, you obviously have to be driving faster than that to make up for all those slack periods.

John Kuhn

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 red JSW TDI base model

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
New best tank: 50.5 MPG US (5.7 l/100 km). ~75 MPH interstate for 560 mi with spotty slowdowns and a few rest stops, then 28 mi of mostly urban driving at the end. Hilly for 100 miles. Liberal A/C use for 2/3 of the trip, some extra drag the other 1/3 as the dogs like the noise of open windows. Cruise control used with occasional full throttle to clear space for merging semi-trucks. No hypermiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR-Pissed

TDI
2015 Golf
I don't know what you guys are putting in your tanks, but my lemon with 12,600 miles is getting an average of 34MPG and we just got back from a short road trip. I would say I wasn't driving the car any differently than I would another vehicle.

Just seems low to me.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
As physics would predict (resistance increasing geometrically as speed increases arithmetically...or something like that), I've found that if I do 60-65mph (~100km/h), I get really good fuel numbers - like around or even a little better than 5L/100km (47mpg); if I'm running late and pushing up to and holding at (but never above...oh - never above) the 120km/h speed limit...and there's a bit of a headwind, and the road is quiet (no traffic to pull me along), I'm using almost 50% more fuel - like 6.5-7.0L/100km (~34mpg).

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't know what you guys are putting in your tanks, but my lemon with 12,600 miles is getting an average of 34MPG and we just got back from a short road trip. I would say I wasn't driving the car any differently than I would another vehicle.
Just seems low to me.
ULSD with 8oz PowerService is what I use. I really don’t think the PS does much of anything for mileage. Driving style and conditions dictate, as always.