MPG impressions on 2015 Golf so far

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
So it not bad to lope down the highway? I've been trying to keep the rev's above 2500.
Follow the gear indicator when you're at your final cruising speed. The whole "keeping it above 2500rpm" is pertaining to when accelerating/upshifting. I personally rev to ~2500-3k rpm every shift, BUT am in the highest gear possible when done accelerating.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Follow the gear indicator when you're at your final cruising speed. The whole "keeping it above 2500rpm" is pertaining to when accelerating/upshifting. I personally rev to ~2500-3k rpm every shift, BUT am in the highest gear possible when done accelerating.
yeah for sure. The car has no problem cruising along on the highway at 1900 RPM. The DSG will even go into 6th gear at, like, a steady 45 mph.

You should see a major increase in mileage now!

slimphatty

TDI
'15 Golf S DSG
2,333 miles on my tdi and I'm averaging 40mpg...I'm really trying to go slower than 65mph on the highway but geez I feel like I'm going soooo sloooooow

lalyde

TDI
2015 VW GSW MT TDI
I am at 3000 miles. I get right about 43 mpg every fill up and happy as can be about it. I drive a lot of freeway but hit a fair amount of stop and go in the mornings and do not (can not, will not, no no no) drive under 70 given the opportunity. :)

slimphatty

TDI
'15 Golf S DSG
Last 3 tanks I've been getting 450miles +/- 5 miles. I fill up the tank, I do not top it off, and reset my odometer thingy to 0 and I drive it til the diesel light comes on. MY tdi has 3k miles now

mkane

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW SEL 6spd
1025 miles. 38.8 mpg. Backroads, spirited driving. Car stays nice and flat, lot's of torque. Abusing the Bridgestones.

sbalneav

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
So far about 3500 km on the car. Last tank of diesel (two trips to the cottage at 200km round trip, the rest city drivin' in nasty rush hour stop n' go) I got 737 km. My procedure is: fill tank 'till handle pops off, count to 10, squeeze one more time 'till pop off. Then I run the tank down until the fuel warning light pops on. With that procedure, I ended up with 5.358 l/100k. That's about 43.899 MPG.

Tomorrow I leave on a long highway driving trip (1800km over 2 days). I'll keep you all posted.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Now that it's October, and the temps are starting to get chilly here in MA, I wanted to update my tracking of tank average MPG vs. tank average speed. I've got it both hand-calculated from fill-ups and computer indicated, over the May-October time frame. You can see I have quite a range of driving conditions from tank-to-tank.

Since I don't fill at the same station every tank, or top off to some exact location, the hand-calculated values are a little more scattered. Over this whole time period, the hand calculated MPG comes out 7.3% lower than the computer indicated. For reference, the computer indicated average over all these tanks was 48.2 MPG, and hand-calculated was 44.7.

Last edited:

MrShip

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI DSG
16464km (10242 miles) traveled over 39 fills:

Best - 5.06 L/100km (46.44 MPG) (Pure highway around 120km/h)
Worst - 8.10 L/100km (29.01 MPG) (Extremely spirited driving...)
Avg - 6.17 L/100km (38.09 MPG)

Costs:
Avg. Fuel Cost: $1.043/L
Fuel Running Cost: $0.064/km
Total Running Cost: $0.206/km

Mileage seems to slowly be getting better now that I'm letting off the throttle a bit more. We'll see how the winter mileage gets as it's starting to average around 5-15 *c during the day. Time for winter fuel soon...

BryanK

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Posted this in the HOT "VW's Clean Air Act Violation on 2009+ TDI's Spark Huge Recall, investigation" and it was rightfully removed as that thread was getting pretty unruly with off topic posts (>1.1 million views and counting :eek:) and the admin did some house cleaning.

Anyway, I responded to someone (can't recall their handle) re: optimal shift points, fuel consumption, that sort of thing. So I'll repost here in the appropriate thread, maybe they'll find it.

Bought the emission eluding VW first week of August 2015, extended period total Km's (Cdn, eh) so far: 4475km (2780Mi), fuel consumption for extended period 5.8L / 100Km or 1.53 gal(US) / 62Mi. Average extended period speed 47km/hr (30Mi/hr)

Now that the car is essentially past the main break-in stage, I shift at 2800 - 3000rpm's and I run the car at 2000 - 2200rpm's in whatever gear that I am driving in, which is usually a gear (sometimes 2) down from the annoying shift advisor on the screen (would maybe turn that off, if possible). This is the way I drove my 01 (that polluted more than the 15). Some may think that this is heavy footed, but lugging the engine is definitely not a good thing. I like to keep the turbo spooling, keep the vanes moving and make use of the low end torque. Diesels like to run hot, stretch their legs. I don't baby it, but I am not beating the crap out of the engine either.

Cheers.

Last edited:

EdsRedTDI

TDI
2015 TDI-S
The OBC on my 2015 with 22,300 miles is reporting 49.4mpg.

I had the 'emissions firmware update' at 20k service and just before the DieselGate scandal broke-now I'm waiting on the AdBlue warning to see if that's been set to 'full flush mode'...(pre-scandal I could go over 9k before the 1,500 mile warning indicator.)

D15SEL

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL 6M, '13 Beetle 'vert 6M
STILL glad with my decision

I have a 10 month old Golf TDI SEL 6m with just under 28k. On the few hiway only trips I've made 52 mpg moving at 70 mph. My average as a daily driver is 45.7..... But this is nothing new to you guys. The reason of my post is that while my wifes TDI convert. Beetle is having some work I've had a brand new GTI DSG for 8 days.........My take away..... I wish we could have cloth seats with or without the tartan. Love the feel.
Road feel: I installed VWR springs and the TDI loses nothing. I do love the DSG. (Had it with my 2007 GTI) But I love shifting this diesel. No regrets now that I've driven these cars back to back to back.
But the biggest "Captain Obvious" comment is the fuel. Because we don't know when we'll get the call to return the car we are only filling to half a tank. As you can guess that doesn't last long and its Premium to boot. I've not done the math but I know its less than 29mpg.
Just wanted to share another "man, is this a great car or what?" Even with the emission situation.
(And no I'm not a total homer..... it is awesome to step on the gas of the GTI at 70 mph and still flat out fly down the road. But I'd just get myself in trouble with that)

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
I just finished a round trip into Arizona high country from Tucson. 519 miles. Filled tank upon return and topped off at 10.4 gallons of Shell D2.

TDI mileage indicator and Garmin GPS were 3 miles apart at 519 miles. Golf showed high number.

Saw 57.2 MPG average around Lake Rosevelt driving 50MPH.

Got a speeding warning outside Payson. DPS clocked me 68MPH in a 55 posted zone. Trooper said he liked Diesels......:D

tdiwa

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI SE DSG
I have had my Golf for a little over a year now. I've been doing actual mileage calculations on every tank and the car computer has pretty consistently overstating my mileage by about 7-8%. Still decent mileage for hilly/mountainy Northwest. Usually get up to 50 mpg on the highway.

JBizz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 vw golf tdi
Did La to Sacramento run for new years. Had 667miles to the tank along with 40miles still in my tank. Topped off 11.3g 65 to 70mph only

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
Did La to Sacramento run for new years. Had 667miles to the tank along with 40miles still in my tank. Topped off 11.3g 65 to 70mph only

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Your wording is strange to me. 667 miles divided by 11.3 gallons is over 78 mpg. Is this what you are claiming?

Last edited:

Wheats

TDI
mk7 Golf
Despite it being winter, the Canadian diesel prices are still lower than gas. So with the holidays and long road trips to see the families my mpg's went up. Average 54's

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Well, not too much traction on this thread. I was last posted in January.

I have roughly 24k on my 2015 GSW and the mileage is way better then my 2009 Jetta. I haven't gone below 40mpg in either measurement. The best I had by gallons "used" was 52. It actually makes me not to bother checking. At any rate, I' m more then happy with the MPG.

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
All my values are hand calculated (no estimated computer reading) and driving like a grandmother, can't seem to break 46-48 MPG per tank. This has been my range over 5 tanks of diesel (I just bought it used with 5600mi on the ODO). I drive 80% highway/20% city.

It looks like no matter what I do I can't break the 50 mpg per tank. I have no idea how people are getting 50+ per tank. Damn.

Last edited:

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
Sands80. You might just be getting the proper mileage for all the factors involved. Others may be quite happy to consult with you on that. I would take a more zen (?) response.

Perhaps consider instead, what's the $/mile? I filled up our '15 Golf last night. Fuel was at $2.359 (RUG was $2.139 at the time, I like to check so I can estimate in my head what MPG I'd need from a gasser for break even MPG -> 40MPG, can we afford a 40MPG gasser my wife would enjoy better for the same price or less . . . ? . . . ).

That $2.359 calculated out to $0.053/mile. For the record, 29,655 lifetime miles, 44.558 lifetime MPG. Yeah, that's approximately $159 we've left on the table by not getting 50MPG during the 23 months we've owned the car, $7/month . . . for you, that would be more like $80 gross if nothing changes by the time you approach 30,000 miles . . .

If it's worth it to you to worry about or pursue better MPG, more power to you, I don't mean to suggest there's anything bad about your concern. I just wonder if the perspective and expectations of some TDI buyers has gotten a little out of adjustment . . .

srs5694

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, MT
FWIW, my 2015 Golf TDI with manual transmission gets 47.1 MPG. (See my Fuelly page.) I do occasionally crack 50 MPG, but not in the winter, and not when driving fast. Overall, my best fuel economy seems to be when I drive my 50-mile commute to work frequently. (I telecommute most days, but sometimes I must commute in two or three times on a tank.) I suspect this is because there's enough traffic that my speed is limited to 50-60 MPH for a significant part of the way. Judging by the instantaneous MPG reading in my dash, fuel economy goes down above about 50 MPH, and plummets above 65 MPH. On a road trip to Cincinnati in December, my MPG in Ohio was hideous because they've got 75 MPH speed limits on some highways there (and, no doubt, I was also using winter-blend fuel).

MrShip

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI DSG
Just over a year into owning my 2015 Golf:

• Current lifetime average: 6.26 l/100km (~37mpg)
  • Best fill: 4.79 l/100km (~49mpg) - Set the cruise to 95km/h and drove for ~200km between fills.
  • Worst fill: 11.8 l/100km (20mpg) - Winter driving course, lots of on/off and a heavy foot in -30c weather :D
  • Total fuel cost: $2987.69 CAD
  • Average fuel price: $0.978/l CAD
  • 48912 km to the most recent fill.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Had my first Fuelly-certified 50 mpg tank (50.7) this weekend. The computer read 53.5 mpg.

I would've gotten to 600 miles too, but convenience forced me to stop at 593, with 35 miles left on the range-o-meter.

This all feels a bit silly right now, but the car can be damn efficient.

Shife

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG White/Beige
My fuelly average is around 39 mpg. I don't drive for economy, I'm tuned, and my commute has me at speeds well above 80 on a regular basis. Considering what I used to get in previous vehicles, as well as how terrible my driving style would be on mileage with a gas GSW, I'm thrilled with averaging 39. I can easily hit high 40s if I take the back roads up north with a fully loaded car. It can also drop to the low 30s if I have the roof box on while on the freeway. Note - I completely ignore the onboard MPG figures and use only calculated numbers (fuelly). The current tune I have loaded grossly distorts the readings on the MFD.

Mileage is incredibly variable.